Quantcast

Bike shop stole my money.

Quanz56

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
Minnesota
So I'm new to bikes (not biking) but wrenching on bikes. My headset and that whole area was really loose so I took it into my LBS and they told me, "normally we just loosen the stem bolts and tighten the top bolt." The guy did that and said it was still pretty loose and told me that it was either built wrong or was missing something.

So I decided to leave it with them to do a headset overhaul ($15). I get it back today and see that it's still loose and I'm already at home. I hop on the net and look up how to do a headset adjustment. It took me all of 3 minutes and problem solved.

It really irritates me that they would take advantage of my lack of bike knowledge to gain profit. Even if it is only $15, it's the thought behind the action that matters. I don't wanna hold any grudges against the shop though as they have done work for me before and turned out fine.

Anyway...long post, I'm done ranting.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I hop on the net and look up how to do a headset adjustment. It took me all of 3 minutes and problem solved.

It really irritates me that they would take advantage of my lack of bike knowledge to gain profit. .
Next time look on the internet first, and how else do you expect them to make money?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Bike shops are there to make money. If they didn't do the job correctly, bring it back... uhh... something called a "warranty". I don't think they stole your money, but you owe me $15 for the time it took to read your post.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The shop I worked at had guaranteed service. If the repair or adjustment was out of whack right after it was done, we'd fix it.

If your shop doesn't offer this, go somewhere that does. If no one does, buy some tools.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
$15 is not worth the grief the shop would experience if they were doing this intentionally. Sounds like an honest, if stupid, mistake, one they should fix on the spot when you bring it to their attention. Next time check out the work before you leave.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
My LBS always has you test ride your bike before you leave the store to make sure everything's fixed.
Like the other posters said, go back and tell them what you just told us. But be polite about it, don't assume they were trying to rip you off.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Maybe they took it apart, turned the bearing right side up or whatever, but neglected to properly tighten it afterward. Would explain why adjustment wouldn't work the first time, but then worked for you. Likely an honest mistake.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I doubt the shop was trying to screw you, but just check it and complain next time. I took a wheel in to get a bearing replaced (lefty hub) a little bit ago at the lbs (I just moved so I hadn't been there before). I told them to only replace just one bearing (it was seized and the other one was completely fine). It took forever- they moved the date it would be ready I think 3 times. I pick it up, they charged me for 2 bearings because they "figured it would be a good idea" to replace both. I complained and they said just pay for one. I felt like a tool complaining over a small amount of money, but it was their bad, they took forever and I asked them to do what I said for a reason. Complaining at a retail business usually gets you somewhere.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
that sucks, back when i was starting to ride my old shops mechanic would always tell me my derailor was off and needed to be tuned, only to make it worse, he also never test rode my bikes so they always felt like crap. eventually i was taught how to do nearly everything by another shop i go to, and now i do most myself.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok I'm confused exactly how did they rip him off?...and why once he found it not working did he not take the bike back?...D

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
time to invest in a work stand, decent set of tools and a few hours on sheldon brown's site like many people end up doing...

Trailslug46

Monkey
May 14, 2006
Indiana
The lbs I go to has adjusted my rear derailleur several times , no charge. I didn't buy the bike from them but I've gotten to know them and when the dude adjusted the derailleur the second time and refused pay I gave him $10 anyhow - for lunch. Get to know your shop.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously, most nailed it on the head, why Scream the bike shop stole my money, why not instead call the shop and tell them there is a problem, take it back, or fix it like you did and get your money/store credit. Maybe they did have a newbie, or maybe something just didnt happen, but most places will take care of it, one way or another, Another thing to remember, Maybe they have a bad Mech that needs to go, If noone informs the bike shop there is a problem, how do they find out he does bad work.
Either way, good to know you can adjust a heasdset now, something everyone should know if they ride, that way they can fix there bars when they crash on a ride

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You do also understand that a Headset overhaul is more than just tightening the headset, its the removal of the fork and bearings for cleaning, regreasing and reasembly, if it was jsut an adjustment, they probably would just do it.

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
And it might take an newbie a half hour to put it on wrong. (and fvck up the headset in the process)

If i had the tool...i wouldn't have any problems putting it on...its very self-explanatory...but the price for the tool...that's what i paid for...the guy even stop and look twice...kind of thinking:"should i really charge him for that?"...but he end it up doing and if i own a shop...that's what i would do too!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If i had the tool...i wouldn't have any problems putting it on...its very self-explanatory...but the price for the tool...that's what i paid for...the guy even stop and look twice...kind of thinking:"should i really charge him for that?"...but he end it up doing and if i own a shop...that's what i would do too!
Was it a headset press?

One trip to Home Depot and $3.00 or less will get you that tool.

The trick is knowing how to use it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I agree with most posts, most likely a misunderstanding. talk to them and maybe you could get your money back (which I doubt). If you aren't happy with our shop, vote with your dollars...go to another shop

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
Was it a headset press?

One trip to Home Depot and $3.00 or less will get you that tool.

The trick is knowing how to use it.
Never seen them at home depot...i've seen a park tool one...still called the home headset press,wich doesn't look all professional like the big ones at the LBS...park tool cost about $35...i'm pretty sure if i run to the same problem ,next time i will have the tool ready!i have put on a number of headset's on my BMX's with a vice and some wood...work d'out fine...never ovalized or damaged any headsets...lucky i guess!
I'll keep home depot in mind next time!...besides(my personal opinion...) I like to work on my bikes myself...the only thing i trust the LBS to do for me,is taking car of my wheels...

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
i never trust the bike shop to do a repair correctly so i may look like a moron riding around the outside of the shop for a 10 or 15 minutes but its worth it, i spent 175$ in repairs and it still isnt right

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well, since were talking about saving money and still doing the job properly. Fender washers, foot long 10 mm all thread couple nuts on each und. Can do a pretty good job also.

For me, when its my bike, and i dont have time to head to the bike shop, I pull one of these out of my tool box at goodyear. Works great.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2424&page=1&#34676

The one on top, I know its a little costly, but then again, got it for my 5 day a week job, Use it alot though, lifetime warranty, and the truck brings it to me when there is problems with it.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
i never trust the bike shop to do a repair correctly so i may look like a moron riding around the outside of the shop for a 10 or 15 minutes but its worth it, i spent 175$ in repairs and it still isnt right
You mean they didn't kiss your ass after all that whining you did, calling them crooks and liars and such??? I'm shocked. :shocked:

GuettoBlaster

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Ghetto...of course
I do like this one though
mac tool is for life...simple the best...with all the different sizes...if you have as a everyday tool...thats a plus!...and the price is not so bad at all! check this one out....this is what the guy at the LBS use to place the bottom headset bearing on my hard tail...it cost little under $100

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
So I decided to leave it with them to do a headset overhaul ($15). I get it back today and see that it's still loose and I'm already at home. I hop on the net and look up how to do a headset adjustment. It took me all of 3 minutes and problem solved.

I'm curious What internet instructions did you find and what did you do that finally solved the problem?

I'm betting that you didn't have enough spacers under the top cap or you star nut wasn't deep enough. Especially if you tried "tightening" it yourself before you went to the shop and you pulled the star nut all the way up to the cap.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I'm curious What internet instructions did you find and what did you do that finally solved the problem?

I'm betting that you didn't have enough spacers under the top cap or you star nut wasn't deep enough. Especially if you tried "tightening" it yourself before you went to the shop and you pulled the star nut all the way up to the cap.
this is the one we find all the time at the shop!

customer..."hey it was loose so I tightened this little dohicky here":huh:

ME: well, I wasn't going to charge you to show you how to tighten it yourself... now I have to charge you for a new starfangled nut and installation! usually around 5-10 bucks depending on how much it takes to get the old one out!:lighten: