Quantcast

Bike Shop

MG6

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
where would be the best shop to order some parts or pick up some chemical (maintenance stuff) in the bay area (more interested in the SF area)?

i just purchase a Iron Horse G-out and the pre-owner said he lost a swingarm nut. This nut is the connection point on the bottom frame where the swingarm comes apart. Is there a screw nut to lock it in place or is it suppose to be free play since the shock is at the connecting to the swing arm?

thank you

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MG6 said:
where would be the best shop to order some parts or pick up some chemical (maintenance stuff) in the bay area (more interested in the SF area)?

i just purchase a Iron Horse G-out and the pre-owner said he lost a swingarm nut. This nut is the connection point on the bottom frame where the swingarm comes apart. Is there a screw nut to lock it in place or is it suppose to be free play since the shock is at the connecting to the swing arm?

thank you
This is a tough one. That nut sounds extremely difficult to replace. If I am not mistaken, the G-Out is a 4-5 year old model. Most Iron Horse dealers in the Bay Area are Performance Bike Shops. I am not sure those guys know what a swingarm is.

One of the hardest things to do is to find a shop willing to contact a brand they do not carry. To compound this, if this is a very old model, there might not be small parts for it, period.

I hope someone else can volunteer an old-time IH dealer...

MG6

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
here is what i'm talking about. Uploaded picture.

The cap aluminum where the swingarm is connected. I could pull it out without any tools. I notice that the two phill screw on top holds these cap aluminum down but should there be some free play as well?

O, and yes, it is an old G-out iron horse. i believe it is a 1999 model. Also, the second picture, where the aluminum cap is located near the crankset is located. Sometimes, the cap will rub against the crankset so i'm confused at this point if this should be tighten down or should it be loosey goosey.

:help:

Attachments

MG6

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
well, after searching tons of website looking for parts and looking a bike pictures. I end up calling Iron horse. Slow process but i got the bolts and they are going to be ship soon.

cost me 10 something + 5 dollar shipping.

I'll take a picture of it once it comes so i could install it.

So my question is, why aren't there any bike shop carrying most of these bolts for any model/brand bike out there? I would figure that someone would make this kinda business and they will see a raise on how bikers will need to replace bolts, nuts, etc..etc..

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
I have an old G-spot sitting at my house, pm me if ya ever need a replacement shock or swingarm/parts.

Most shops will carry enough of those kinds of nuts/bolts to cover ya for the brands they carry, and even then they may end up calling like you did. I would stick with Iron Horse dealers, and like you guys mentioned, performance is probably the only place that has em.

MG6

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
thank you madbiker, i'll pm you one of these days. Why is the old G-spot doing sitting at the house?

yea i called the nearest local dealer for iron horse and the person said, they don't have a clue since they just started off 3 months ago with iron horse. I got their information from iron horse dealership search.

I am hoping more iron horse dealers in the bay area so they can't really mess with the price range. If they do, i guess i'll have to call iron horse and talk to sean for parts.

thanks again madbiker for the info.

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
MG6 said:
thank you madbiker, i'll pm you one of these days. Why is the old G-spot doing sitting at the house?

yea i called the nearest local dealer for iron horse and the person said, they don't have a clue since they just started off 3 months ago with iron horse. I got their information from iron horse dealership search.

I am hoping more iron horse dealers in the bay area so they can't really mess with the price range. If they do, i guess i'll have to call iron horse and talk to sean for parts.

thanks again madbiker for the info.
The headtube is cracked a little and I bought a new frame.