Quantcast

Bike storage at home - garage/shed ideas?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I need a better way to store the 10 bikes my wife and I own between us. I bought a stand from amazon for $35 that was supposed to be able to hold five and it's useless. Either the derailleur or rotor hits the supports, or all the weight is against the spokes http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Floor-Parking-Storage-Stand/dp/B005IN02V6/

I'm renting, and the ceiling in the storage shed doesn't look like it would appreciate 300lbs of bike hanging from hooks or using my old topeak dual touch, so I'm open to suggestions.
  • Don't mind if I need to build it from purchased wood or pvc pipe
  • Would be good if it could hold at least 6 mountain bikes of varying wheels sizes, but no fatties. The other four would be fine with the amount of room we have.
Open to suggestions on possible solutions.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That fast track looks promising, I might need to go check out what they look like in store. While also considering if I can mount some hooks to existing walls/ceiling spots without making anything fall down...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Stringer plus screw-in hooks will be cheaper than the rubbermaid stuff. Hooks are like $2 each in a variety of sizes at Home Despot.
I'm dealing with the same issue now, except the bikes have to go horizontal, as they are right up against my car (small garage).
Our old garage is bare wood so screwing into the studs is easy.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I rent as well, and built a free-standing bike rack to solve your exact problem. It's a simple structure that uses 4x4 fence post, and bracing at each corner. It's been extremely solid and effective, and quickly becomes 3 pieces again should you move. I think I have $70 into materials?

These brackets will help make your feet strong. http://www.essentialhardware.com/simpson-strong-tie-fpbb44-retro-fit-base-black-103281.html?utm_campaign=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CPzFw7i1osoCFcYRHwodiEAOVw