Quantcast

bike storage ...whats the best way?

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
the fleet is getting bigger .. what do you guys think is the best way to store them .. right now there all on the floor leaning against each other hogging the spare bed room.. should they be wall mounted by frame ..? rear tire ..?or just as i have them
also my heaviest bike is @ 45 lbs

Ivealso heard a few different things and i want to get some of them straighted out ..
1 that its bad to store you bikes in the air .. a la wall rack
2 the fox 40 has to be stored upside down?( some thing about oil having to hit the the wipers )

i googled "bike storage " and found some stuff .. opinions?
odd one but i likes

im digging these 2

thanks in advance

My opinion is............I just store them tire down. I made a PVC rack and store them rear wheel in. BUT........I ride my bike often and they never sit for more than a few days year round. I think that if your bike is going to be stored for an extended period it would be a good idea to store them tires off the ground to avoid unnecessary flatening or warping of the tire and tube and possibility of creating a warped rim( idk....possibly).

I have a road bike also and during the snowie winters I store it horizontal by the top tube on a rack off the ground.

JM2C.

As far as storing the Fox 40 upside down..........never heard that and I don;t ride one to know.....sorry!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
If you store any suspension fork by the front wheel or upside down for a long period of time, it'll leak. You can store your bike any way you want for a week or so, but longer than that, and I'd store it level, wheels down or hung by the front wheel. I have heard people say that this may cause hydraulic brakes to have problems, but if you have a sealed system, there shouldn't be any air in there anyway.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Wow, you really make a good point about how to store bikes. I'm glad you brought up all those great counter points to my suggestion. How could I not have considered all your amazing input? How about you provide proof? Just because you're argumentative, doesn't mean you have any idea at all what you're talking about.

The seals at the top of most forks (yeah, Fox) are dust seals. While they contain the oil in a fork from running out, they are not made to be oil proof. They are designed like a watch that is water resistant, water won't get in if you splash it, but if you keep water against it, it'll leak.

But hey, you're apparently the experts. It's not like I deal with forks with this problem every spring when they are stored hanging by the front wheel during the winter. Or am I just imagining the steam of oil running down the fork legs? If you have alternative information, say so, but don't just open your mouth to argue. I'm just trying to help this original poster to keep their bike functioning as best as I can.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Wow, you really make a good point about how to store bikes. I'm glad you brought up all those great counter points to my suggestion. How could I not have considered all your amazing input? How about you provide proof? Just because you're argumentative, doesn't mean you have any idea at all what you're talking about.

The seals at the top of most forks (yeah, Fox) are dust seals. While they contain the oil in a fork from running out, they are not made to be oil proof. They are designed like a watch that is water resistant, water won't get in if you splash it, but if you keep water against it, it'll leak.

But hey, you're apparently the experts. It's not like I deal with forks with this problem every spring when they are stored hanging by the front wheel during the winter. Or am I just imagining the steam of oil running down the fork legs? If you have alternative information, say so, but don't just open your mouth to argue. I'm just trying to help this original poster to keep their bike functioning as best as I can.

go fock yourself dipchit, I built forks before you were born, if your forks leak you suck at maintenence or you have never rebuilt your forks, second: all forks are stored in the boxes laying flat, they never seem to leak? WTF, how can you be so ignorant to think you have to store a bike a certain way when your riding forces are twice as much as a bike hangin on a hook, get a friggin clue.

bottom line, if you hang your bike and it leaks, you suck at maintenence!

and by the way, any dust wiper/fork seal is not there to keep out water, it is to keep the semi bath oil in.

edit add in:

went and read all your previous posts, looks like you know just enough to really screw things up, stop giving advice you know nothing about and save your breath for pinkbike.

Last edited:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I'm no mechanic, but I have been told numerous times by a wide spectrum of bike enthusiasts/pros that you shouldn't invert suspension forks for long periods of time.

Anywhoo...

We currently have four bikes in our house in two different rooms tucked behind furniture. It sucks, but it works for the time being. We will, however, be moving in a month or two and in the new house (which doesn't have a garage, either) I'm hoping to rig a setup similar to what's been pictured above with the bikes hanging from their front wheels.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
go fock yourself dipchit, I built forks before you were born, if your forks leak you suck at maintenence or you have never rebuilt your forks, second: all forks are stored in the boxes laying flat, they never seem to leak? WTF, how can you be so ignorant to think you have to store a bike a certain way when your riding forces are twice as much as a bike hangin on a hook, get a friggin clue.

bottom line, if you hang your bike and it leaks, you suck at maintenence!

and by the way, any dust wiper/fork seal is not there to keep out water, it is to keep the semi bath oil in.

edit add in:

went and read all your previous posts, looks like you know just enough to really screw things up, stop giving advice you know nothing about and save your breath for pinkbike.
What a piece of s hit you are. I gave the poster the correct answer the first time, you just show up and add nothing. You haven't given one fact to back up anything you've said, and in fact, you have said anything that actually answered the original question.

• You don't build forks. I'll bet you can barely tune them.
  • Forks are not stored flat, where did you come up with that? Forks are sometimes shipped flat, but not for long periods of time, and guess what, that's still not inverted genius.
  • Forks left in any orientation for a week or two won't leak. I guess you missed that part. Much longer than that and they'll leak. But hey, I've just been a mechanic for 9 years that has dealt with exactly this problem dozens of time a year, WTF would I know about that?
  • Under even the most extreme use, that magical force, GRAVITY keeps the oil in the fork. It's what keeps things headed toward the ground, and unfortunately, that includes you.
  • Yes, part of the job of dust seals is to keep water out, but it was a metaphor. Big word, I know, but bear with me... I can tell you're not too bright. I said the seals keep oil in, (amazing the way we said the same thing, but you didn't notice) but are not made to be completely oil proof.
  • Fox, Rockshox, Magura, Manitou all use those dust seals, all of which are NOT OIL PROOF. I know some older models of those manufacturers used separate oil seals, as does Marzocchi, but they are still NOT OIL PROOF. Oil will seep out if they are inverted for long periods of time (remember gravity?)

I dare you to find one piece of advice that is wrong. I don't claim to know everything, but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around and let some f'n moto head with no ability to spell or form complete sentences call me out.

YOU ARE NOT A PIMP.
DOWNHILLERS HAS NO Z.

You add nothing to this forum, you seem to be worthless as a person, and you can go fornicate yourself with a barbed wire covered baseball bat.

When you come up with any reason to dispute my claims other than "y'r ghey" or "you can't even find the fork on your bike" then feel free to post again. But if you call any fork manufacturer, they'll be happy to back me up. Go ahead, try it. I'll give you the numbers if you want, I know that websites can be scary and difficult to navigate for people like you.

F U C K Y O U.

out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Fox 40 does not have oil seals, it only has dust wipers. All technical documentation on Fox's site refers to them as such. Because the 40 is not an open bath fork, it uses a small volume of oil (50cc's) for internal lubrication. Because the fork uses dust wipers and not oil seals (like open bath Marzocchi forks, which for the 888 uses >200cc's of oil per leg and thus REQUIRES oil seals), this oil will get dirty VERY QUICKLY. Fox's recommended dust wiper cleaning intervals are every 15 hrs of riding (if you go downhilling on the weekends and ride most of the day both days, that will be close enough to 15 hours to warrant cleaning). And they recommend changing the oil every 30 hrs of riding (again, for a weekend of riding, that's changing your oil every 2 weekends). That's pretty frequently. What does this info have to do with storage? It means that because the fork only uses dust wipers, dirt/dust/grime will get into your fork relatively easily. That also means that oil can get out relatively easily, if stored inverted for a long enough period of time. Because the 40 uses such a small oil volume, laying the fork flat will not cause the oil to leak, as the majority of the oil volume will not be pooling against the seal, but rather spread out over the length of the stanchion. However, in an inverted position, the oil will pool against the dust wipers, and once it full saturates and bypasses the foam ring within the wiper, will begin to leak out. Very slowly, but it will leak. Trust me. When I first had my 40 I had to store the bike inverted for about a week, at which time I noticed an excessive amount of oil on the stanchions, and corrected the storage position.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
well one important thing you forgot to mention is how many bikes you're going to be storing. Also, budget? How much space do you have to work with? Do you live in an apartment? How much drilling into the walls are you comfortable with?