Quantcast

Bike tattoos?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I'm also planning to get one. I've seen a few good ones. A BMX pro has a crankset and sprocket on his back, that looks like it's coming out his back. I've also seen a few sprokets with flames and chains with flames.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
hopefully during Spring break, i'll be getting Unreal's logo on my forearm.

i was going to do a chain around my wrist, but i came to the conclusion that it'd be impossible for it to look like i'd want it to look.

dirtyamerican

Monkey
Jan 15, 2005
at my own freeride trail
Westy said:
Find a design then wait a year, if you still want it get it then.
Very good advice...

I got a section (arc if you're into geometry) of a front chainring on my right calf muscle on the inside as if I was standing with my bike and leaned the bike's gear into the side of my leg, ever do that? It leaves a cool gear print on your leg. Well I got that tattooed... It always looks like I just got done riding my bike. :thumb:

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
blue said:
Gf wants to get me a tattoo for xmas...I want a bike related tattoo. Suggestions? These are kinda cool... http://www.blackbirdsf.org/chainwheels/
Getting the same tat as someone else is dumb, in my not so humble opinion. So is getting Chinese letters, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Westy said:
If you don't listen to this man, you'll end up with stupid ink.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
It took me six months to finalize what I wanted. I'm having it finished on new years eve. 4 hours left.

Be VERY careful in what you choose, and make sure your right about your decision. Tattoos are not a fad, it stays with you for a lifetime.

Your choices are cool, and one on your calf would be kinda cool. hell, to be honest, that maybe one I get next year.

Here is the first half of mine. I call her "Angel of Redemption"

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Ralph you design that yourself it's real nice i dig it a lot. Ive also been contemplating a biking related tattoo for a longggg time prolly over a year just cant find somethign i like.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Pretty cool stuff, although i was kind of thinking that some of the more "ornate" cogs look so fancy you can barely tell what they are.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
You could do a brake rotor/ caliper. Chainrings would be cool. You could have the bashguard clear (and see the ring) or have a word on it.

You could have a chainring with a chain with smoke coming off them.

Discoloring from the heat with smoke on either the brake or ring would be really cool, like the colors under a cd.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i have always wanted a bike tattoo, I have never seen nor thought of a design i really really like. i wish i could draw, then i would design my own..

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
A guy I rode with a couple weeks ago got a chainring inserted into the back of his calf... 15 stiches later.....

:dead:

Yeah I have a tattoo like that. Nothing quite as permanent as having chain grease implanted under the skin.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Westy said:

Words to live by. I found a cool tattoo a few years ago and was ready to have it done instantly. I eventually decided to hold onto it for a year and see if I still like it.

Sure enough within a year those tribal dragons were on every grade schoolers lunchbox and hoodie.

Glad I waited on that one.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
N8 said:
A guy I rode with a couple weeks ago got a chainring inserted into the back of his calf... 15 stiches later.....

:dead:

I have 4 or 5 scars up the side of my calf from a BMX ring.

Mumbles

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
talk to a tattoo artist, tell him what you want. have them draw it up. this way, they can be sure to get exactly what you want, and custom is way cool ;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I thought of a chain laid out to make the shape of a skull, but the design never looked good.

The grease mark on the calf is overdone, if you were real core, you would heat up a rotor with a torch and brand the inside of your calf. Ive done it with my DH rotors on accident, but it never lasts more than a few days. I think to make it last one would need a glowing red rotor....

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
partsbara said:
how about a head tube tattooed on your forehead ???

i have nothing worthwhile to contribute so i ll just go away :)

or a rear end view of a saddle right above ur ass crack.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
robdamanii said:
What about a chain wrapped around an ankle?
that's what i was going to do around my wrist. then i realized that having it look like it was laying "flat" would annoy me because, while it would look like a chain, it isn't physically possible to have a chain like that around my wrist. having it the other way, so that it would resemble a chain bracelet, wouldn't really look like a bike chain, more like some weird lines.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
oly said:
The grease mark on the calf is overdone, if you were real core, you would heat up a rotor with a torch and brand the inside of your calf. Ive done it with my DH rotors on accident, but it never lasts more than a few days. I think to make it last one would need a glowing red rotor....

I did that with my gothic rotors once. Left a cool design though....

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I think I read an interview with Wade Simmons and he said he had three wheels connected by three bikes in a triangle. I think that, if done right, that would be really really cool.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I was considering doing chainlinks that joined together into a triangle. Wade's tattoo sounds like it'd be pretty tight.