Quantcast

bike theft in whistler

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
hope its ok to post this here.
one of my mates came over to visit me and on the day he left his bike got nicked.
so if anyone sees a big hit [06 i think] with white boxxer world cups, well its been nicked so if its for sale dont buy it, please pass on any details you get!

it was stolen monday night/tuesday morning along with 2 other bikes from the marquees up on blackcomb in whistler. bike was locked in an underground ski storage place provided by the hotel.

similar to this: [but with the white boxxers]

thanks,
paul

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Where is there to store bike besides the hotel storage areas? Last year we couldn't bring them in the room so I had a pretty thick chain I brought and used the "secure" storage in teh parking garage of the hotel. Every time I read something like this I get worried. What other options are there as I'm heading back in 2 weeks.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
"bike was locked in an underground ski storage place provided by the hotel."

not to be mean or anything but his bike was locked in a hotel storage, and as far as I know, from friends, hotle storage is the only place for normal people (not whistler employees or campers) to lock up ther bikes.

edit: and oh yah, very sry to hear about his loss

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Granted, I've never been to Whistler and I understand the situation is a bit different up there, but every single hotel/motel I have ever gone to while traveling with a bike (for a race or whatever) I have given them the choice....either let me keep it in my room (I clean it thoroughly and show them) or be willing to sign an agreement to pony up five grand when it gets stolen from their "secure storage" area! In several years and many times having to do this, only once has a motel said "no" and I walked out.

Any chance to sneak your bikes in a side door/entrance at any of the Whistler lodging options?!?!?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I am goign to reccommend the Whistler Village Inn in the Village, they are cool with bikes up in the room as long as they are cleaned prior to coming into the hotel. The staff was really cool about it. They we just took them outside and locked them to the Balconey. If someone is willing to scale the building during the night, cut the locks, and somehow get the bikes down from 2-4 stories then they probably need the bike more than I do. Check into that hotel though, they even have decent rates too.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have been avoiding hotel staff here for 2 days and using underground parking options directly to my room. They want it in their "secure" storage. I told them to go fly a kite.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yup i arrive in whistler tomorrow late night, definately keeping my bike locked to our porch or in the room.

Dont buy that bs, like Fraser said sneak it in a back door or whatever i have done this at many spots along the way...get creative

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Where is there to store bike besides the hotel storage areas? Last year we couldn't bring them in the room so I had a pretty thick chain I brought and used the "secure" storage in teh parking garage of the hotel. Every time I read something like this I get worried. What other options are there as I'm heading back in 2 weeks.
when are you gonna there? I'm going 15th-23rd

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
yup i arrive in whistler tomorrow late night, definately keeping my bike locked to our porch or in the room.

Dont buy that bs, like Fraser said sneak it in a back door or whatever i have done this at many spots along the way...get creative
I wouldn't even leave it on the porch. Inside the room is the only way to to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Anka Martin had one of her bikes stolen a few years ago from the porch of a condo/hotel.

There some motivated dirtbags up there.

With the sheer volume of bikes stolen from whistler, I'd love to be part of some sort of sting/tracking operation just to see where this pretty substantial flow of high end bikes actuall ends up. I know it's not just one party and I'd be curious to see where they get unloaded.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it's been pretty quiet on the bike theft front for the past while....I've heard of one here and there, but nothing like the gongshow of a few years back....

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Fawk, I leave for Whistler in 8 days and threads like this pop up and make me feel so safe. My hotel has the same "no bike in the room" policy. F'n B.S. I have Renters insurance and I'm covered, but that won't help me out when I'm up there and some Canuck crackhead makes off with my ride....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Fawk, I leave for Whistler in 8 days and threads like this pop up and make me feel so safe. My hotel has the same "no bike in the room" policy. F'n B.S. I have Renters insurance and I'm covered, but that won't help me out when I'm up there and some Canuck crackhead makes off with my ride....
contact your insurance agent. It will cover items up to a certain limit for defined periods of time while traveling. They will tell you the exact limit, how long you can be away from the property with it, etc. It would benefit you to call & find out & possibly raise your limits if needed.

Butch aka Insurance in NC

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Anka Martin had one of her bikes stolen a few years ago from the porch of a condo/hotel.

There some motivated dirtbags up there.

With the sheer volume of bikes stolen from whistler, I'd love to be part of some sort of sting/tracking operation just to see where this pretty substantial flow of high end bikes actuall ends up. I know it's not just one party and I'd be curious to see where they get unloaded.
I was part of one a few years ago after a team rider's bike was jacked from the Tantalus lodge. It was an inside job. The RCMP and Whistler police discovered a HUGE organized crime ring up here with a bunch of tie ins, including biker gangs.

The majority of bikes stolen here end up in Montreal to be fenced. My rider spotted his gray 223 (team only, 6 of them existed - we had 5 in our posession) under some 17 year old kid at Bromont. Police were called, bike was "recovered" instantly by other riders at the scene. Kid was about the 3rd "owner" of the bike since it was stolen, police didn't charge him.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
contact your insurance agent. It will cover items up to a certain limit for defined periods of time while traveling. They will tell you the exact limit, how long you can be away from the property with it, etc. It would benefit you to call & find out & possibly raise your limits if needed.

Butch aka Insurance in NC
Thanks Butch, I'm good though. I talked to my agent about it specifically before I set up my policy. My annual week long trips to Whistler are covered ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
. The RCMP and Whistler police discovered a HUGE organized crime ring up here with a bunch of tie ins, including biker gangs..

You mean guys on harleys with tats or scowling 12 year olds on bmx bikes? :rofl:

Sorry....that just sounds funny.

The majority of bikes stolen here end up in Montreal to be fenced. My rider spotted his gray 223 (team only, 6 of them existed - we had 5 in our posession) under some 17 year old kid at Bromont. Police were called, bike was "recovered" instantly by other riders at the scene. Kid was about the 3rd "owner" of the bike since it was stolen, police didn't charge him.
I think I remember that. Sucks for the time lost but it's always good to get closure on something like this. If only it could have been the fvcktard who actually took it.

A couple of years ago, a two friends of mine rode their dirtjumpers to a bar and chained them up together and then chained them to a rack. One of them walked out 5 minutes later and they were gone. One of them combed the village for about 2 hours and actually found them, still chained together. He got them back. There's no way I could have avoided the temptation to wait it out with a baseball bat in hand.

The worst part about the theft up there is that is it's most likely groups of people who know bikes and hence likely ride them. Fvcking parasites.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Is there anywhere to "check" your bike for a fee. I know they do this at places for skis/snowboards and the fee you pay isn't bad for peace of mind knowing someone is responsible for your bike overnight worth it. Maybe bikes are too bike and bulky for something like this.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
The did have a secure bike check a while back. I'm not sure if they still do or not. It would be worth checking with Whistler Guest services to ask.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
The did have a secure bike check a while back. I'm not sure if they still do or not. It would be worth checking with Whistler Guest services to ask.
I just called and Guest Services said there isn't anywhere that offers storage. She said the two options were to rent (comes with free storage) or get creative and bring them in the room. I'm going to roll the dice and go with option 2. Sounds like the parking garage elevator is the best move.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
some people bring a lightweight tarp or buy one in vancouver. explain to the hotel that you'll a) be cleaning off the bike outside b) storing the bike on top of the tarp in the room so it can't get the floors dirty.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
In 4 or 5 years of going up there, I have never NOT brought my bike inside. The high-rises in the village are a bit tougher and I usually dont stay in these for that reason (besides the village can super noisey with Van hipster wanna-be kids running around drunk all night).
Best bet IMO is to be away a little bit....north village, blackcomb..nothing is more than a 5 min walk, the less 'in the middle of everything' type places usually are easier to deal with getting a bike in/packing the room with tooooo many people, etc..

That being said, I would not think of draging my bike past the front desk nor trying to bring it in dirty. Work on the bike outside, clean it before you bring it in, be careful/curtious with other patrons, use service type entrances/exits and DONT put tire marks on the walls......Just be low key and respectful and it will all work out. Have a buddy hold open the back exit door etc.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
seems pretty simple, keep your bike in your room.

I have not been to whistler but all other places I have gone to I have kept my bike in the room with me. I usually had to sneak it in.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Marriott up a Blackcomb has locking-door enclosed 'pods' in the storage area for small extra fee.

Cascade Lodge was real cool about their area: it was the large bell storage area off the main lobby that only staff had access to. Once you put your bike in there, they knew you and your bike; and they stayed right there with anyone who went in to get their bike wheeled it out and then locked up behind. It took more of your and their time but it was a pretty good system.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I was able to bring my bike into my room at the market place lodge a few years ago. I locked my bike to something in the room too, while I went out.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
seems pretty simple, keep your bike in your room.

I have not been to whistler but all other places I have gone to I have kept my bike in the room with me. I usually had to sneak it in.
That's the problem, you have to sneak it into your room. If you get caught, most hotels hit your credit card for $500.

joe shabadoo

Chimp
Jan 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
I was in Whistler a couple years back and had 2 bikes stolen. I pulled into a semi-underground garage to pick up supper for me and my girl, walked out 15 min later to broken windows in my Jeep and all doors open. They took my Bullit and Chameleon, but not my cellular or the $20's in the dash. I had a few people tell me to take it to one of the bike shops, offer a couple of bucks to the manager and let them stay there for the nite.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
in whistler you just either gotta sneak it in your room.. or stay at a hotel that allows it. the sun path was sweeeet never was harassed once i was just in whistler.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That's the problem, you have to sneak it into your room. If you get caught, most hotels hit your credit card for $500.
And then you call your CC company and charge the hotel with fraud. Sorry, but that's insane. Also, my hotel (5 star place to boot) allows annoying dogs, but not $8000 bikes.

Service elevator/fire stairs it is!

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
the hotel [the marquees] offered NO video surveillance of the area and the manager wanted nothing to do with it.
it wasnt stored in his room as he had been told something along the lines of "do it and dont stay here for the rest of the duration"

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I was in Whistler a couple years back and had 2 bikes stolen. I pulled into a semi-underground garage to pick up supper for me and my girl, walked out 15 min later to broken windows in my Jeep and all doors open. They took my Bullit and Chameleon, but not my cellular or the $20's in the dash.
I was in Vancouver about a decade ago, and our car was broken into overnight while parked in the hotel's underground garage. You know what they stole? An old hand-me-down manual SLR camera and a bag of linens from IKEA. It's not just bikes- the thieves up there will steal *anything*. I hope the thieves enjoyed the sheets and duvet cover.

EVILTWIN

Monkey
Mar 9, 2005
the loins of god
I would like to thank the spineless turd that jacked my bike in Whistler. I got 5K from insurance. I would have only gotten 2500 selling it outright. Next trip to BC your cracks on me!!

S

seespotendo

i used to race bmx many years ago. and i was at a race in ohio and the hotel that we stayed at had a room inside for bike storage. when u brought in your bike it would get like a serial number and you would get one of those paper wrist things :imstupid: with a matching number. and whenever u wanted your bike you just showed the wristband and a staff member went back and got your bike. my bike felt completely safe!
just an idea for the whistler hotels....