Quantcast

Bike Tickets?!?!?!

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
LordOpie said:
FYI: Most states require you to have a gov't. issued photo ID on you at all times. They can arrest you if they want.
BTW: that was called 'humor' or maybe 'being silly.'

The real message was listed within the *** and involved doing things legally. :rolleyes:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
we have a couple of lights on our week night ride that wont trip even with several of us over the sensor. If it wont trip you have to, of course, come to a complete stop and then go when its safe. Sometimes when i'm breaking the law i'll just switch over to the sidewalk, if there is one, go through the cross walk green or not, then on the other side switch back to the road.
is jwalking also crossing at a controlled intersection when you don’t have a green light?

JGard

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Boston, MA
screw that. I'd play stupid and pretend to not have a license. You don't need one to ride a bicycle. I mean come on, it's a bicycle. If you were a 10 year old kid riding around in your neighborhood and you ignored all stop signs, would a cop pull you over? I certainly hope not.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
JGard said:
screw that. I'd play stupid and pretend to not have a license. You don't need one to ride a bicycle. I mean come on, it's a bicycle. If you were a 10 year old kid riding around in your neighborhood and you ignored all stop signs, would a cop pull you over? I certainly hope not.
so you're saying that you want the big policeman to take you home to mommy? :blah: that's some strange fetish ya gots there.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
If you really feel like you got the raw deal, fight it. You can have your day in court and tell the judge about it. Probably won't care, but it has worked for me in similar situations.

on a side note motorcycle cops really are THE ones to look out for, all they do is ticket, so your chances of talking your way out are almost nill.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
I got a ticket for riding the wrong way on a 1-way street, I got fined but it didnt effect my driving record. Id recommend fighting the ticket, in all likelyhood the cop wont even show up to court, in which case you automaticlly win.

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
loco-gringo said:
It's a law holmes. You don't just get to go in a car. I don't dispute that cyclists are not as bad as a lot of cars, but it just takes one inconsiderate prick to do something to a car and it gets taken out on someone else. Get over yourself if you can't follow the rules. I don't feel even remotely sorry for someone that gets called on breaking the law.

What crawled up my butt and died is that peeps drive like ass around cyclists here because some elitist arrogant prick that couldn't wait on a light pulled out in front of them or some crap. Be responsible and quit blaming other people when you do something stupid is really my point. Are we supposed to feel sorry for the dumb ass that got a ticket because we share a common interest? I'm not going to.

Word, Brother. I f-ing hate seeing road riders riding two (or more) abreast in the canyons around my home cause my assumption is the same as yours, some Jack-ass (driving) who got pissed at some jag not following the rules of the road on a bike is gonna take it out on me.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
916dave said:
I didnt know what forum to put this in so I'm trying here. On friday I was coming home from work on my bike. I came to a red light with no cars in sight, so I did what I usually do, just go. I guess a motorcycle cop in a parking lot saw me and followed me and pulled me over. He ended up giving me a ticket (21453a) and lectured me on the basics of bicycle safety. WTF?!?! I think that this is a bull**** ticket, but everyone I've talked to really doesnt know how much this will be (cop didnt know either), if it will affect my driving record, etc... etc. Has this happened to anyone else? I plan on fighting it, any ideas?
Moving violation... you ran a stop sign dude, though I think that cops who pull over bikes are real pricks. Unless they pull someone over who is riding in traffic like a moron. I dont know wether it goes on your driving record or not.

BikeGeek said:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

select "Streets & Highway Code" and "Vehicle Code" and search for "bicycle".
21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall
stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the
crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then
before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an
indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision
(b).
(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver,
after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady
circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way
street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield
the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk
and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely
as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall
continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver
can proceed with reasonable safety.
(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the
intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless
entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another
signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none,
before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection,
or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain
stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

21456.2. (a) Unless otherwise directed by a bicycle signal as
provided in Section 21456.3, an operator of a bicycle shall obey the
provisions of this article applicable to the driver of a vehicle.