Quantcast

Bike wrench moving to Shepherdstown

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
Is there any interest for a small service only shop in Shepherdstown? My wife and I will be moving there by the end of the summer.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I lived in Shepherdstown for four years while I was going to college at Shepherd ('98-'02). At the time, there was a small shop in the little plaza across the street from the Jefferson Co. Bank by the name of Billy Brothers Mtn Bikes. The owner was a really cool Shepherd grad and had a passion for the business, but the demand for a shop in that town is extremely low. He didn't really stock any "new" bikes, it was mainly just a repair shop with some rentals for the C&O Canal, but he was struggling to make ends meet. He eventually closed doors before I graduated.

I hope the demand/interest in cycling in general has turned around in Shepherdstown. A repair shop would be a great thing, but I don't imagine it would be a huge success. Where are you considering putting this repair shop, your home or somewhere on main street? If you can get close to the canal path, it would be a major plus.

WV Hippy

Chimp
May 20, 2004
Since then the shop in Martinsburg has closed. I believe for health reasons. I'll probably start out of the house. I'm considering a mobile operation. I may end in Martinsburg. It will be primarily repair with maybe some consignment and used stuff.

Hilltop

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Hmmm...I to lived in Shepherdstown, and I live now in Hagerstown...a mere 12 miles down the road. In any event, that area is sorely missing out on a shop, although Hagerstown has one of the best around in Hub City Sports. The tourist trap effect is definitely there on the weekends, just make it known. If I wasn't so busy and had some capital I would try to start up a C&O Canal history tour bike ride/lunch stop. You could make a killing. Also, with Shepherd University there, if you could make it known that you were there to fix up anything, you might be able to lure some students out as well.