Quantcast

bikes & booze

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Anybody here ever been cited for a BUI (biking under the influence)? A couple of my buddies have been busted, and there are always funny stories to accompany the tickets. I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't been busted (yet :p). Just wondering if any of you monkeys have some good stories to share.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
I do a fair amount of riding whilst drunk (ie, commuting home from mates place or pub), but never been caught thankfully. Althought I have bounced off cars, curbs, and other random inanimate objects in the process of riding home. Alcohol induces the perceived capacity of having superhero powers, so if I did get caught, I bet I could outride them. Or die trying :devil:

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Not yet, but my bike has been my main transportation to bars since I moved off Grounds 2 years ago and couldn't just walk down the street to get some booze.

It's 1.5 or 3 miles on city roads (depending where we go) to get to a drinking station, and boy are those some strange/fun/exciting/dangerous miles on a fixed gear!:D

It usually goes like this:
1. Put helmet on
2. Fumble with lock to free the bikes
3. Figure out how to turn on the blinky lights
4. Repeat the following a few times: "Whoa, whoa, pull it together! Sober up!"
5. HI HO Silver Away! Take me home bike!

Shanks

Chimp
Jan 3, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Ive been ticketed 3 times for biking drunk, But only by university cops.....They never ask for ID. retards! NO real name, no proof :)

Beer and Bikes dont match for me. Even on my cruiser I would try and "flat track" turns..... BAM into a parked car....

Any Quebec cuppers may remember 2 years ago at Camp Fortune 2 guys colliding over a fire...yeah, guess who.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Never got caught on a bike. But I got busted while driving my car. 1 Year no license 1200$ 200$ victems of crime. Crazy insurance rates. That is how I got into biking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to use my bike to commute to the bar, I would ride home often taking detours onto some short trails when the moon was full. I loved it but it was risky, in NY I believe the consequences of getting caught drunk on a bike are the same as if caught drunk driving a car. I have no moral problems with BWI as I do with DWI.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by Mitch
Never got caught on a bike. But I got busted while driving my car. 1 Year no license 1200$ 200$ victems of crime. Crazy insurance rates. That is how I got into biking.

me too dude, turns out a really bad mistake turned out to be one of the best things to happen to me. well, lifestyle wise, definitely not bank account wise :)

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
me too dude, turns out a really bad mistake turned out to be one of the best things to happen to me. well, lifestyle wise, definitely not bank account wise :)
I still havent paid my fine. And I don't plan on. It's been 4 years so..... The only bad thing was, I was 18 at the time I got caught (not old enough to even drink) and the night I got caught was the day before mothersday, so I got a drive home mothersday morning in a cop car. And my moms gift was in the car the cops towed........ Long ass day. Oh well i'm 22 now and live in town everything worked out, the only problem was when I was going out with my girlfriend I couldnt drive her anywheres, she had to pick me up. but we aint going out anymore! viva the booze!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I guess it's different in Oregon. Here it's the same as if your in a car! DUI, HUGE fine, possible jail time, court fees, meetings, you name it. I have even heard stries of people getting busted while WALKING with their bike (becasue you COULD ride at any minute). It's crazy I tell ya.

For Portland being one of the most bike friendly cities in the US, it sure don't take kindly to the DUI on a bike. sheesh.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I still havent paid my fine. And I don't plan on. It's been 4 years so..... The only bad thing was, I was 18 at the time I got caught (not old enough to even drink) and the night I got caught was the day before mothersday, so I got a drive home mothersday morning in a cop car. And my moms gift was in the car the cops towed........ Long ass day. Oh well i'm 22 now and live in town everything worked out, the only problem was when I was going out with my girlfriend I couldnt drive her anywheres, she had to pick me up. but we aint going out anymore! viva the booze!
Pay the fine. It is your fault for being an ass, and driving whilst drunk.:mad: Just be happy you didn't get jailtime for being a total moron.

Yes, i have a VERY low tolerance for a$$holes who drive while drunk. The Stupid tax for doing it should include mandatory jailtime.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Neat you used a dollar sign in replace of a S. Well you don't know my $tory, and I did $pent a few night$ in jail after my court apperience. I wa$ 18 and learned my le$$on. Walk in $omeone el$e$ $hoe$ before you $lander bro. I would advi$e $ome foot powder fir$t :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Neat you used a dollar sign in replace of a S. Well you don't know my $tory, and I did $pent a few night$ in jail after my court apperience. I wa$ 18 and learned my le$$on. Walk in $omeone el$e$ $hoe$ before you $lander bro.
How about you walk with my dead friends, killed by a$$holes who were driving drunk?

How about you grow up. If you think you are responsible to drive while drunk, then you are responsible enough to pony up and pay the fine.

I don't need to "know your story". I already know enough, you were completely iurresponsible that night and could have killed someone. Don't give me the sob story, because i don't care/want to hear it.

Also, slander has to do with miss representing somebody in a public statement (usually the media) that in turn harms their reputation.

You were drunk, you could have killed someone, you still aren't responsible to admit what you did was wrong and make excuses.

Hmm no misrepresentation here, move along.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
You and me after school at the monkey bars. Anyways we kinda took over dudes thread. If you want to tell me what a moron I am feel free to PM me.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Transcend
How about you walk with my dead friends, killed by a$$holes who were driving drunk?

How about you grow up. If you think you are responsible to drive while drunk, then you are responsible enough to pony up and pay the fine.

I don't need to "know your story". I already know enough, you were completely iurresponsible that night and could have killed someone. Don't give me the sob story, because i don't care/want to hear it.

Also, slander has to do with miss representing somebody in a public statement (usually the media) that in turn harms their reputation.

You were drunk, you could have killed someone, you still aren't responsible to admit what you did was wrong and make excuses.

Give it up, dude. I'm sure he got enough of this already. Is this really the time or the place?

D

Dingus McGee

Here in S.F a BUI is a DUI. Bikes have the same rights in the street as cars and the same responibilities. A DUI can really screw up your week. Luckily it's easier to ditch the cops on a bike.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
do these tickets for riding a bike drunk in any way affect your drivers license?

here if you giot caught drunk on a bike and its to much alcohol in your bloodstream you will loose your drivers license.

D

Dingus McGee

Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
do these tickets for riding a bike drunk in any way affect your drivers license?

here if you giot caught drunk on a bike and its to much alcohol in your bloodstream you will loose your drivers license.
That's what I understand, but not 100% sure.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
I think biking while drunk here (PEI, canada) is the same as getting caught in a car if the cop really wants to be a dick. But I have a friend who got pulled over while drunk on a bike. We were at a party and he lived just up the road so he took a bike from the party and drove home. he got pulled over (lol) with the host of the parties panties on his head. The cops found it humurous and drove him the rest of the way home so he didnt get hurt.

Apr 25, 2004
Virginia

when something UNTRUTHFUL is written about someone,it's libel. slander is potentially harming someones reputation behind their back throught spoken words,and if it's said to their face or in their presence,then it's not considered slander.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Richard James
when something UNTRUTHFUL is written about someone,it's libel. slander is potentially harming someones reputation behind their back throught spoken words,and if it's said to their face or in their presence,then it's not considered slander.
I'm aware, i have a journalism degree. :rolleyes:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
Haven't had a ticket for being under the influence did get one for manualing at going on 50mph though.
I hope you framed that one! :D

No BUI's, but I got a ticket for blowing off a stop sign on my mtb heading back down to the pick up spot on the road after riding Tunnel Trail in Santa Barbara. I blew past my friend who was driving his SUV, but the cop thought I was buzzing a stranger and endangering lives. The cop was ready to take me to jail until I asked him in my best and most compliant voice, if I could put my bike in the trunk of his cruiser, or at least try to find my friends who'd ridden past, each only slowing for the same stop sign. He thought about it for a sec, then just gave me a ticket for running the sign, and a reckless driving warning. $60 fine that I didn't fight.

Ratfink

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
SoCal
Originally posted by El Jefe
I hope you framed that one! :D

I blew my friend who was driving his SUV, but the cop thought I was blowing a stranger and endangering lives. The cop was ready to take me to jail until I asked him in my best and most compliant voice, if I could put my mouth on his cruiser, or at least try to find my friends who'd ridden past, each only slowing for the same stop sign.
HLD!! I knew you were a freak but the quote above takes the cake!!!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by jimmydean
I guess it's different in Oregon. Here it's the same as if your in a car! DUI, HUGE fine, possible jail time, court fees, meetings, you name it. I have even heard stries of people getting busted while WALKING with their bike (becasue you COULD ride at any minute). It's crazy I tell ya.

For Portland being one of the most bike friendly cities in the US, it sure don't take kindly to the DUI on a bike. sheesh.
I used to stop at Rock Bottom all the time with my bike and have a couple of pints. Guess it is a good thing I never got caught, or too drunk for that matter.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
.....the night I got caught was the day before mothersday, so I got a drive home mothersday morning in a cop car. And my moms gift was in the car the cops towed........ Long ass day....
holy crap! i got arrested for being over the limit on Mothers day early morning closing the bar and had her car impounded to boot! Had to drag my friends out to pickup the car and pretty much had the whole affair covered up, until my mom went through my pockets before washing my pants only to find the police envelope that they use to store your cash when your in the can.

Never got convicted though, my blood alcohol was too close to the limit (0.09) and they BSs their procedure. They were basically dragnetting the area because some girls got hit by a DUI and they had a political mandate to bump their arrest and conviction numbers up; my lawyer said normally the charges would have been thrown out. This was a long while ago...

btw to everyone who thinks BUI is a joke, how about when you swerve near a car and that car needs to swerve away from you, possibly causing an accident?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Originally posted by Ratfink
HLD!! I knew you were a freak but the quote above takes the cake!!!
said as I spout diet coke from my nose all over my keyboard
Have I told you today how much I really really hate you? :dead: :p
PS- HLD vs the berm round 4 today. I'm going for all three. whee!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You guys,

Drinking and biking isnt particularly responsible either. If youre going fast and nail someone, that could f*** them up, or kill an old person or child. Or, you could cause an accident in the street with cars.

Stop riding drunk now. If not, I hope you call get BUI's and spend some time in the can.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
no one has said anything about drinking and downhilling yet...granted there r no cops on the mountains to hand out DUIs or BUIs but what do u think or that?

no comment out of me :D

Jan 26, 2004
i'll tell ya that riding bmx while drunk is rather hard, trying to do a disaster on a jersey barrier is well endangering to your downtube. I almost lost my bmx bike to the kid cause i told him if i messed up his downtube he could have mine. Good thing i barely made it onto the barrier and lost my balance and didn't try again.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
damn yall got it rough.we used to have a bike pub crawl/streetride. it was usually between 8 and 12 people. we would meet at a bar, drink then take the long way to the next bar rippin some erbon the whole way and then drink some more!repeat as necessary. some of the best street riding i ever witnessed happened on those rides

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC

here's the internet, hard at work.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
this summers gonna be sweet as hell. babes, booze and bikes all day long. t

*cue Cheap Trick*
*roll Intro-Credits*
|
|
|
|