Quantcast

Bikes for someone 6'6"

Dr.phillerup

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009
So I was told the large giant glory will fit taller people. Anyone out there with experience? How about other comparable bikes?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Giant are real long. V-10 is a little cramped in my opinion. I'm 6'3" and the Giant is one of the longer bikes I've sat on and test ridden. I went with a Cove Shocker but with your extra height I dont think it will work. The Treks are quite long as well if your smooth that might be an option. The large Intense 951 looks long on paper but have no experience with em.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Giant are real long. V-10 is a little cramped in my opinion. I'm 6'3" and the Giant is one of the longer bikes I've sat on and test ridden. I went with a Cove Shocker but with your extra height I dont think it will work. The Treks are quite long as well if your smooth that might be an option. The large Intense 951 looks long on paper but have no experience with em.
951s are definitely pretty long. My medium has almost the same top tube and a longer wheelbase (with the dropouts in the long position) as my bud's large 303R. I'd guess the TT is almost an inch longer than my old medium Turner.

I really like my new 951, too. It's long but it still pops real good. There might be faster bikes, but my bike is super fun and it puts a smile on my face for sure!

Dr.phillerup

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009
I'm having a hard time finding much info on the 951... How's it actually stack up against the glory? It looks pretty sweet

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
951s are definitely pretty long. My medium has almost the same top tube and a longer wheelbase (with the dropouts in the long position) as my bud's large 303R. I'd guess the TT is almost an inch longer than my old medium Turner.

I really like my new 951, too. It's long but it still pops real good. There might be faster bikes, but my bike is super fun and it puts a smile on my face for sure!
I'm 6' and the Large 951 felt like a normal Medium to me.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Evil revolt XL definitely isn't very big. A large Demo 8 is about as long in the down tube as your going to get.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
User "Huck Banzai" is 6'8, if I remember correctly (I think he's said it several times in various threads on this messageboard). Might want to send him a PM to see what he's been riding.

Dr.phillerup

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009
I can only see one fork on it. Where's the other one? :confused:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

The fork is a Dorado

How about an Evil Revolt in XL for you?
AHAHAA Thanks for the correction... Seriously though thanks and I'll research the evil revolt

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
User "Huck Banzai" is 6'8, if I remember correctly (I think he's said it several times in various threads on this messageboard). Might want to send him a PM to see what he's been riding.
I havent had a chance to test a lot of bikes as they arent around to be tested, rarely in stock.

I ride a VP Free XL, but I have been wanting a slacker, slightly lower bike - otherwise it fits alright. (Many will say it looks like a BMX under me...)

I parking lot tested an Evil XL and it seemed at least as roomy, and was cake to manual which I liked but no ride time. Otherwise, for DH, you are very limited short of a custom from Katipo, Ventana or Sinister. There are definitley several recent threads on large/tall riders and bikes.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ventana does custom geometry on some frames, not sure if the Cuervo is one, but it's worth looking into.
I think it was Turner that pointed me towards a Custom Cuervo; not certain, but I believe they will do it up!

Katipo is for sure (at least is seems to be based on all the loving posts about them! Definite Possibility! ( <-- :confused: )

Funkster?

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
I'm 6'6'' and I have Large 07 IH Sunday Factory equipped with a 50mm stem and 09 XL santa cruz nomad. Both fit me pretty well. I've sat on a XL Evil Revolt and couldn't tell much difference in size to my large sunday. I had a Large Yeti ASX before that and it was a good fit as well.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ventana does custom geometry on some frames, not sure if the Cuervo is one, but it's worth looking into.
I've talked to Ventana about a custom XXXL for myself. They sound legit, willing to work with you and get it just right. Sinister as well.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I'm also 6'6" and currently ride a Sinister Splinter. It feels perfect. I do know that Sinister will do custom builds. (Got my eye on a custom F-Bomb next.)

Other bikes that have worked for me: Giant Glory, Specialized SX Trail, Knolly V-Tach (a bit more compact, but felt so good). There was some buzz about Canfield doing a run of XL Jedis. The new Mongoose Boot'r has a 25" TTT, so it should work (super short seat tube though).

One thing that I have yet to figure out is the current obsession with low stack heights. I guess if you are 5'7" it makes sense, but if I ride a bike with a super low stack height, I just feel cramped and horribly uncomfortable. Feels like all my weight is over the front wheel, so drops and steeps become an exercise in terror. Even though there are supposed to be big advantages in cornering, I find the discomfort more than cancels that out.

Dr.phillerup

Chimp
Aug 27, 2009
wow thanks for all the tips. I think I'm looking at the glory or demo 8. I'm going used because I don't really have money, especially for a custom built bike. Maybe next year...