Quantcast

bikes hurt the economy.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Talk of the Nation on NPR had a story on the rise in bike commuting today.

High gas prices and heightened environmental awareness have led more bicyclists to take to already-congested streets. Road rage has escalated quickly — drivers complain that cyclists ignore traffic laws and cyclists contend that drivers deliberately try to run them down.

Rob Anderson, who is running for Supervisor of the 5th District in San Francisco, says he'd rather see everyone in cars. He explains why he thinks bikes hurt the economy.

Noah Budnick, deputy director of Transportation Alternatives, is an advocate for cycling and offers suggestions for ways to ease the tensions between cyclists and drivers.

Anyone here this? I would love to know how bikes hurt the economy.

Link to NPR story here

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
hmmmm... how would bikes hurt the economy....

Purchasing less gas
- less $$ for oil companies
- less $$ for gas stations

Not driving as much
- tire companies sell fewer tires
- repair shops get less business
- parts stores sell fewer parts

Buying a bike instead of a car
- dealerships sell fewer cars = less $$ = laid off factory workers
- used car dealers have no one to sell their overpriced cars to = closing down

everything anyone does affects the economy.... riding bikes is on such a small scale that shouldn't matter. It's like saying... walking to the store hurts the economy.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
FYI... when your tailor asks you "how's politics" he's not talking about the government...

there are only two correct answers
- to the left
- to the right

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Purchasing less gas

Not driving as much

everything anyone does affects the economy.... riding bikes is on such a small scale that shouldn't matter. It's like saying... walking to the store hurts the economy.
Yah, it isn't hard to figure out what the arguments would be...and I actually agree, commuting by bike probably does "hurt" the economy but that's fine with me...the economy needs to change!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Rob Anderson is a tool.

He argues (among other things) that bikes hurt the environment because dedicating traffic lanes and other infrastructure to bikes results in cars sitting in traffic longer, increasing emissions. He is the main reason there is a moratorium in San Francisco preventing construction of new improvements for bicycles. He completely (and conveniently) ignores that fact that if more people are on bikes, there will be less cars on the road to get stuck in front of him in traffic. He supports the idea that the best way to relieve congestion in dense areas is to dedicate more space to cars. He is a selfish and sad relic from a time of failed transportation policies.

splat

Nam I am

Purchasing less gas

Not driving as much

Yeah I'd say they do hurt the economy. if I wasn't riding my Bike to work everyday , I would have had to replace my car by now . and the how well automotive industry does is tied directly to the economy.

That said I feel the impact from Bike riders is marginal at best , right now . it would be interesting to see it get to a point where it does have an impact.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Yeah I'd say they do hurt the economy. if I wasn't riding my Bike to work everyday , I would have had to replace my car by now . and the how well automotive industry does is tied directly to the economy.

That said I feel the impact from Bike riders is marginal at best , right now . it would be interesting to see it get to a point where it does have an impact.
Yes, but assuming those riding bikes are doing so for financial reasons, if they weren't riding bikes to save money, they'd have to cut spending somewhere else. Fewer people are eating out "hurts" the economy too.

If Americans even considering the idea of living within their means is bad for the economy, then kill the economy already.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Yes, but assuming those riding bikes are doing so for financial reasons, if they weren't riding bikes to save money, they'd have to cut spending somewhere else. Fewer people are eating out "hurts" the economy too.

If Americans even considering the idea of living within their means is bad for the economy, then kill the economy already.
Yup. Hence...

everything anyone does affects the economy

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Rob Anderson is a tool.

He argues (among other things) that bikes hurt the environment because dedicating traffic lanes and other infrastructure to bikes results in cars sitting in traffic longer, increasing emissions. He is the main reason there is a moratorium in San Francisco preventing construction of new improvements for bicycles. He completely (and conveniently) ignores that fact that if more people are on bikes, there will be less cars on the road to get stuck in front of him in traffic. He supports the idea that the best way to relieve congestion in dense areas is to dedicate more space to cars. He is a selfish and sad relic from a time of failed transportation policies.
I sort of see his point, *if* the bike lane took up a lane that would otherwise be used for automobile traffic. It'd be like HOV lanes, a nice gesture to be sure but they only serve to increase congestion. My commute is a little long, but would be totally ride able if there was a bike lane. There is plenty of space for the current two lanes of traffic, a nice bike lane and a huge sidwalk, hell you could stuff a 3rd lane in there, instead there is a sidewalk superhighway on both sides, a median strip that's about 1.5 lanes wide and no shoulder at all. Poor planning sucks.

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
I sort of see his point, *if* the bike lane took up a lane that would otherwise be used for automobile traffic. It'd be like HOV lanes, a nice gesture to be sure but they only serve to increase congestion. My commute is a little long, but would be totally ride able if there was a bike lane. There is plenty of space for the current two lanes of traffic, a nice bike lane and a huge sidwalk, hell you could stuff a 3rd lane in there, instead there is a sidewalk superhighway on both sides, a median strip that's about 1.5 lanes wide and no shoulder at all. Poor planning sucks.
Yeah, cater to cars and cars only especially if they have only a driver and no passengers, fvcking awesome! We need to cut down the sidewalks too so fvcking cars have MORE space, fvcking awesome! People who walk, ride bikes, take public transportation, or car pool are the fvcked up ones, FVCKING AWESOME!!!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005

Purchasing less gas

Not driving as much

It's not that simple. Money saved on vehicle related expenditures is spent elsewhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's not that simple. Money saved on vehicle related expenditures is spent elsewhere.
He does hit on the basic overall point though... so much of our infrastructure is automobile-centric that the effects would be wide felt. Kind of like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
He does hit on the basic overall point though... so much of our infrastructure is automobile-centric that the effects would be wide felt. Kind of like the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon...
So you are saying that Kevin Bacon hurts the economy?

pedalkicker

Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
earth
So let's continue to do the same things, buy cars, drive cars, fix cars, ... I don't get it, when is the (bi)cycle broken???

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Yeah, cater to cars and cars only especially if they have only a driver and no passengers, fvcking awesome! We need to cut down the sidewalks too so fvcking cars have MORE space, fvcking awesome! People who walk, ride bikes, take public transportation, or car pool are the fvcked up ones, FVCKING AWESOME!!!
Cutting down the (massively over sized and underutilized) sidewalk and narrowing the median would facilitate a bike lane without impeding traffic on a busy thoroughfare in my particular case. There's plenty of space for everyone. Or, to put it in a language you might understand: THE FVCKING SIDEWALK AND MEDIAN ARE TOO FVCKING WIDE, IF THEY WERE FVCKING NARROWER THERE COULD BE A FVCKING BIKE LANE AND I COULD RIDE MY FVCKING BIKE TO WORK WITH OUT BEING SMEARED BY A FVCKING CAR AND WITHOUT ANY FVCKING IMPACT ON THE FVCKING TRAFFIC. IT'D BE FVCKING AWESOME!!! I'm of two minds on the HOV thing. It is a way to encourage folks to ride share, but when nobody responds to the encouragement you get 1 vacant lane and 4 stop and go. That's not really fvcking awesome. Also, who the fvck said anything about public transit? Fvck fvck fvck... Kinda fun, I can see why you're so fond of it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Cutting down the (massively over sized and underutilized) sidewalk and narrowing the median would facilitate a bike lane without impeding traffic on a busy thoroughfare in my particular case. There's plenty of space for everyone. Or, to put it in a language you might understand: THE FVCKING SIDEWALK AND MEDIAN ARE TOO FVCKING WIDE, IF THEY WERE FVCKING NARROWER THERE COULD BE A FVCKING BIKE LANE AND I COULD RIDE MY FVCKING BIKE TO WORK WITH OUT BEING SMEARED BY A FVCKING CAR AND WITHOUT ANY FVCKING IMPACT ON THE FVCKING TRAFFIC. IT'D BE FVCKING AWESOME!!! I'm of two minds on the HOV thing. It is a way to encourage folks to ride share, but when nobody responds to the encouragement you get 1 vacant lane and 4 stop and go. That's not really fvcking awesome. Also, who the fvck said anything about public transit? Fvck fvck fvck... Kinda fun, I can see why you're so fond of it.
You're a fvcker!

Just kidding.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Go easy brother. I see you're bored at work, so post the help desk number and Monkeys can do requests!

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
Well, I can not imagine how retarded must be the guy who said that bike hurts economy. It might be that he knows someone from petrol/car industry thou. I will skip the argumentation as this post will grow.

Fact: he is retarded.
Some objective info: lets have a look at Holland and the ways it is done there/here.

PS I know, he did not get his dream bike as a child and this is the revenge? any close?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I can not imagine how retarded must be the guy who said that bike hurts economy. It might be that he knows someone from petrol/car industry thou. I will skip the argumentation as this post will grow.

Fact: he is retarded.
Some objective info: lets have a look at Holland and the ways it is done there/here.

PS I know, he did not get his dream bike as a child and this is the revenge? any close?
I punched him in the face at Critical Mass.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Anderson's arguments are about San Francisco, which is an incredibly dense urban area, and one in which the population and density continue to increase. Decades of policies favoring cars have only resulted in more traffic, less parking, and increased aggravation all around. (It's like getting a bigger apartment - before you know it all that space you thought you had is full.) Public transit is largely a pain in the ass in part because there is so much traffic and very few dedicated lanes. Buses and trains get stuck behind a line of single-occupant cars, double parkers, etc. People scoff at initiatives to close Market Street, for example, to everyone but public transit and bikes/skates/peds, and then complain when it takes 45 minutes to go a mile.

It is long past the time when we should have realized that getting people OUT of their cars will not only make it easier to get around, it will make it easier to drive when you have to.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Rob Anderson, who is running for Supervisor of the 5th District in San Francisco, says he'd rather see everyone in cars.
Excellent way to get elected in SAN FRANCISCO.

What a fvcking idiot.