Quantcast

Bikes missing from your stable?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Assuming that money wasn't an issue for most of us, what bikes would you say you're missing from your stable?

Right now I want:
- Specialized SX or Yeti 4x
- A Millholland Cycles cyclocross bike.
- Electra Rat Fink
- Litespeed Kitsuma
- Intense Factory Pro XL Alloy BMX

Its only five bikes, that's not too bad, right?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
A nice quality, modern DH bike. Nothing fancy.

Maybe a dedicated commuter.

Yeah, that's it.

Guess I should have listed my current "stable" as well...

2009 Kona CoilAir
Fat Chance Yo Eddy (most likely going up for sale soon)

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I want a FAST road bike. I built a city road bike a couple years ago with heavy wheels, disc brakes, and room for fenders. When I ride in the city, I just take my SS MTB since the roads are so bad in my hood.
I want a full on 15# race bike.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
15#? Jesus, I've taken craps bigger and meatier than that, today!

I'd be worried to sling the fat over something like that. I see it being something akin to mtnbikerchk's accident, but without having ever left the garage.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I too would want to replace my old roadie with a new trick light version.

My mountain bike is dialed, I just want more time to travel and ride new places.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd love a dedicated, serious trail bike. The all day kind of thing, like a specialized enduro or another, better, cannondale prophet. About 5-6" of all day pedally goodness...but I don't ride trails enough to need anything more than my homegrown.

I'd also love to have a short travel 4x or SS bike. Maybe 4-6" travel, slack angles, perfect for highland or diablo or DS courses. Unfortunately, that's such a "want" bike vs. a "need" to have.

I really want a tri bike, or even a decent roadie. Too bad there are ZERO bikes between 200 and $800. everybody thinks their 89 raleigh is a modern classic, or their clapped out cannondale from 98 with 30000 miles on it is still "like new". Too bad for me.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
A nice DH bike --sold mine for absolutely nothing months before moving from Ohio to AZ--Suxor

Some fancy pants wheels for the Road bike

A sweet commuter like a Masi Soulville

Current Stable
Union-street Molly Maguire
Sunday v1
'06 Enduro beefed up 66rc2x in front DHX5 in back
'08 Rip Niner
Trek USPS Roadie
Haro Mary SS-- totally not stock..
Alliant Cruiser
Cyclecraft 20"

Would be willing to trade the Enduro for a DH bike if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Want to check out a 29er for both xc and commuting.
also want a mini dh/am bike. sx, ibis mojo, reign, 575 they all look so good and there are no dealers next to me :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I will be buying a CX for a commuter in a week. The Redline Conquest Sport was on sale at the local shop.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wouldn't buy a Litespeed under any circumstance. I would either go Taiwan to save a few bucks or full bling because its full bling.

My Seven hardtail is FR worthy. I think people are shocked to hear it weights 25lbs, but its by design.

I have heard of several other Ti builders who specialize with FR frames. I know Indy Fab makes a good one.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My stable is pretty good right now, but I would like to add a CX bike with a spare set of road wheels so I can choose on the fly whether I want to ride roads or light trails.

I already have:
HT XC = Orbea D'ella
FS XC = Yeti 575
SS HT = Zion 853 EBB
DJ/Stunt = Kona Cowan
FR/DH = Yeti ASX
Road = Trek 1500WSD

(yes, I am spoiled)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I am missing a light FS XC bike that is best used for epic rides and 24 hour races. I've officially put the bug in the wife's ear. ETA of my new bike: Spring 2011. Make and model TBD.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bikes I wish I had right now = the following:

a) Nice road bike with comfy handlebars - wide
b) Nice 5" or 6" FS trail bike equipped with 650b wheels and Pacenti Neomoto tires

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I wouldn't buy a Litespeed under any circumstance. I would either go Taiwan to save a few bucks or full bling because its full bling.

My Seven hardtail is FR worthy. I think people are shocked to hear it weights 25lbs, but its by design.

I have heard of several other Ti builders who specialize with FR frames. I know Indy Fab makes a good one.
I've always liked the idea of the Kitsuma. They stopped making them before the production went overseas, which is part of the appeal. I want something that rides and accelerates like TI, but that I can put a 140mm fork on.

This bike is the Kitsuma. Its so sexy and they're a blast to ride. Now if I could get someone to fab me up one but better in Ti, I'd go look hard at whats left of my 401k

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Got:

Scott CX Team = Commuter/Road bike
Turner RFX = XC/FR (more FR...but whatev)
Rotec RL9 = DH

Round out the stable wants:

Guru road bike = long rides, sunny weather, maybe dabble in some races
Indy Fab road bike = Commuter/nasty weather road bike
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
Some sort of DJ/Urban hardtail
FS XC race specific bike (light...4"...)

That's not asking too much right?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I want a FAST road bike. I built a city road bike a couple years ago with heavy wheels, disc brakes, and room for fenders. When I ride in the city, I just take my SS MTB since the roads are so bad in my hood. I want a full on 15# race bike.
Some good deals on Ebay if you are serious. I picked up a Specialized Tarmac S-Works for 1/4 of the price of a new.

I would love the new Turner DW DH bike.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
God way tooooo many.
A short list:
Santa Cruz Jackal
Lapierre Spicy
Specialized Demo
Trek Scratch
Calfee Dragonfly
and a hipster fixie to do some barspins and skids on.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
My current stable:
Santa cruz v10
black market riot
08 specialized epic pro (not really spec'd well.)
verde radia bmx

Need/want (mostly want)
bmx race bike (intense)
fixie (brooklyn gangsta track)
trials bike (zoo bikes)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have a Cove Handjob MTB and a Scott S60 road bike.

Id like to ditch them both and get a cross check to combine the two.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Desire is the root cause of all suffering.

Just thought I'd throw out some Taoism and sh1t yo !

That being said, I'd like to replace the fork, wheels and drive-train on my SX-Trail. Adding a five inch travel trail bike to the mix would be cool.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
For the first time ever I think I'm ok.
got the mini link for DH
intense spider for trails
CAAD 5 for the road
dobermann for the park/jumps

All I want is to sell off my old balfa minuteman and T1 20".
I guess I could stand to have a nice trials bike, but I don't know how much I'd actually use it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've always liked the idea of the Kitsuma. They stopped making them before the production went overseas, which is part of the appeal. I want something that rides and accelerates like TI, but that I can put a 140mm fork on.

This bike is the Kitsuma. Its so sexy and they're a blast to ride. Now if I could get someone to fab me up one but better in Ti, I'd go look hard at whats left of my 401k
I think Lynskey makes a frame that fits your bill.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
hmmmm. i would like to get a new XC rig. i've been drooling over getting a Pivot 5.5. i'd also like a few road bikes, an Argonaut Max steel frame, Parlee Z1 carbon and i think i'd go with IF for a Ti frame.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think Lynskey makes a frame that fits your bill.
Technically, any custom builder can make you a hardtail with a reinforced headtube junction, a 69 degree HA, and low standover.

I got Seven to make me one, but it was like pulling teeth. Deviating from the 71/73 angle or using a tire wider than than 2.1 was heresy.

On the other hand, here's Serotta's take on a ti hardtail:

Descend Like Full Suspension, Climb Like a Hardtail

There is nothing quite as trustworthy, sturdy and enjoyable as high quality hardtail mountain bike, and Serotta offers the best Ti hard tail anywhere. With full custom geometry and a range of brake and fork options, TiMax is perfectly suited for the toughest climb, steepest descent and most challenging single track on either side of the Rockies.
Yep, you can take TiMax down Garbanzo or Karpiel.