Quantcast

Bikes You Miss...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Wives, girlfriends, cars aside, I've been blessed with a few awesome bikes over the years and even after just buying a nice Bullit and a third Chameleon, I still miss my namesake ride.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i don't miss any of them. they're all replaceable and technology marches forward. you sentimentalists can stick with your u-brakes and biopace rings... :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i don't miss any of them. they're all replaceable and technology marches forward. you sentimentalists can stick with your u-brakes and biopace rings... :D
consumer whore......:D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I miss my Bullit. It was spec'ed perfect with the Stratos LR-1 fork. It was the lightest bike I never broke.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
seriously, it is just a bike. no more, no less. i try to be attached as little as possible to my material objects so that they do not own me.
there is no need to buy a new bike every year/two/three....that simple.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there is no need to buy a new bike every year/two/three....that simple.
we seem to be arguing for different things: you for a ceasefire in the neverending consumer cycle, and me for less sentimentality and emotional attachment to material possessions. i don't think these concepts are mutually exclusive.

:pirate2:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
seriously, it is just a bike. no more, no less. i try to be attached as little as possible to my material objects so that they do not own me.
I built my Bullit from scratch including the first set of wheels I ever built. Every other bike has either been what was on sale or what I could build with parts I have.

So it was special because each part was hand picked. It was the only one I've ever built that way, but I sold it without issue.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've done well to not get rid of any bikes that I got really attached to. So I don't have any that I really miss.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't really miss it at this point as it would be too small for me now, but I rode/raced this for 2 years (which is a long time for me) and built the thing from the ground up, tore it down, built it up, etc. many, many times.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My '80 or so Redline Proline - Blue tuffmax chainring, matching composite rims, etc... sold it to help pay for my 1st car. I was an idiot.

My 1st FR/DH bike - 2004 Kona Stab -fun, flickable, not stable at speed but have a lot of good memories associated with that bike. Just found out that the same bike is being put up for sale, again: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2836918/

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada

I don't have any pictures of it, but I miss my dr.jekyll. It was my first real DJ/street bike, and built with random parts. It was stolen.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
starting oldest to newest:
specialized m4 stumpjumper built up for slalom
specialized team replica dh race bike (palmer style)
yeti 4x
yeti dj prototype- far, far superior geometry and handling to the production version
yeti 575
sinister r9- best dh bike ever for me
sinister dna- so fast and nasty in the jumps
sinister splinter- so versatile and took some gnarly big 360 cases without budging.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have a few...

Karpiel Apocalypse (my first one).
Karpiel Armageddon
Rocky RMX, first bike I had ever built brand new from the frame up. Took it on my first Moab trip.
Lemond Victoire carbon/ti roadie - stupid fast, stupid light - but I was afraid of killing it.
Kona Sutra - this bike was rebuilt tons of times - ended its life when I got hit by a truck.
SX Trail - loved this bike, seemed to do everything well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I wouldn't mind having my Hutch Pro Racer and Hutch Trickstars back.
Yeehaw, Mike Miranda and Woody Itson represent!!!

I miss the only bike I ever had stolen: A candy apple red raleigh rampar with black tuff wheels. Must have been probably 1980 or so. It was my first real BMX bike, and there would be many more to follow. I remember being so stoked when my grandpa bought it for me, and completely crushed when it got swiped.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So awesome. I had a pink one with lavender Tuff II's that was stolen. I replaced it with a powder blue one with pink Tuff II's. Gotta love the 80's.
I lusted over the powder blue one, myself. I had a PK Ripper and wasn't willing to part with it in order to get the Hutch, though.

I have to say, the PK took a lot of heat. With Redline Flights, ACS Z-Mags, and Landing Gear fork, and Uni Turbo seat, that bike was so damn light!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I miss all of my old trials bikes. I have owned about 8 of them all of them have treated me well.

My best one was my 1995 Ross modified trials bike. I got it brand new when I was 14, I delvered a $hit load of newspapers to get that bike. I won my first pro comp on it, used it until 1998.

Mine was this bike but red and Club Roost gave me a bar and stem and Magura hooked me up with yellow raceline D brakes. Mine was threadless too.

Last edited:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
The 2 I miss most--

'92 or '93 Rocky Mountain Thin Air-- race-ready weight of 23.7 lbs. Thing just fit like a glove, and handled like a train on rails.

'94 Mantis Profloater-- weight of 24.5 lbs with just using the ti spring on the Noleen shock. Again, fit very well and railed the trails. Too bad some jock-ass thought they needed it more and stole it while it was locked in front of our "security-manned" employee entrance. Karma says the thief got a face-load of asphalt, 'cuz I ran my brakes backwards back then........