Quantcast

Bipolar bike selection

GreenFuture

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Greeley, CO
I'm having some major issues deciding on what to do. I want a trail bike that I can throw around and ride on urban rides. I want to be able to ride it for 20+ miles on trails. I am looking at the Evil Sovereign and Transition Bottle Rocket so far...

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
gimme your definition of urban, because according to my definition a BR would be a little much. that said I'd rather ride 20 miles of a throw around kinda trail on a BR.
might i suggest a double with a U-turn pike/36 talas/z.1 eta...
that's what i would do if i were in your shoes.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Get the BR.

You can't go wrong with either company's product or service, and I'm a fan of both Evil and Transition, but I was in a situation somewhat similar to yours a little while ago. I wanted a "one bike does it all" kinda setup and went with a hardtail (Transition Vagrant). The frame kicks arse (and happens to be for sale in the classifieds :) ), but on longer rides, I was left wanting for a little squish out back. The other issue is that there were some trails that wouldn't be very fun no matter how good the geo on the hardtail in question is. I agree that full squish and urban arent the greatest of bedmates, but with whats available with shock tuning/setup these days, if you wanted to firm up the ride for the streets it's possible.

Chris

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
I seen a BR with a dhx air and a 36 , it weighed something like 33.
Thats not much at all so thats were i'd go ,but you might as well get the double if you whated it to be light . :shakefist:
its all up to you , waaaaaay to many nice bikes to narrow it down .

Jun 7, 2006
If your serious about urban/park/dj then the sovereign.
If your serious about rocky trails, drops, big gaps, etc, the BR.
If your serious about both, see Lumagent Morple's post...

Both nice bikes for sure.

GreenFuture

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Greeley, CO
hahaha...awesome. If I had the funds, I'd be in the same boat. Right now my new challenge is this: What shock on the BR? I'm looking at the Roco R air and the DHX air...clearly one is WAY cheaper....Also, I'm 6'2 or so and wear 33-34" inseam pantalones. Thoughts on trail riding?

Jun 7, 2006
For trail riding the DHX is the call since it has platform dampening. The Rocco Air is great but works best with frames that are very efficient by design or when pedaling performance isn't quite as important.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
If you are looking for longer trail rides, the bottle rocket probally isn't the bike you want. the bottlerocket is designed for slopestyle, jumping, freeriding etc. if you are doing a 20 mile ride, I assume that to mean there is a lot of uphill. I would look more into the preston if I were you. The preston is a better choice for pedaling and proper geometry, along with still being burly enough to handle a ton of stuff.

neither of the bikes will be great for urban (depending on your defination of urban) for urban, I think of 180's off concrete ledges and strange stalls on "art" if your urban consists more of drops to flat, than either bike would be ok.

seriously take a look at the preston. they were basically the bottlerocket before the bottlerocket.

Kyle,

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Haha, I got a bottlerocket thats just gotten too damn heavy now cuz tubes and tires kept getting destroyed....Now I'm getting a preston to do all day riding and keeping the BR for DH

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
covert maybe?

for shock choice: save some $$ maybe and get a roco tst, that way you can lock it out for trail riding