Quantcast

Black Mamba

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i can't wait to shuttle it, the only thing is, i don't have the manual, its got 7-10" of travel and i don't know which settings ten or seven or what.

Nov 9, 2005
that frame can go up to 10 inches of travel!! it looked more like a 6-7 at max. i cant tell from the pic where the shock bolts are but i would say play around with it unitl it feels good.

Lucky7

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Chicago
Doesn't switching the shock's position increase the leverage significantly. The one that makes the shock feel the softest is the long travel setting....yes?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
you may need to change the shock to get the longer travel options.

reminds me of a joker frame design.

give us a ride report. it does look nice.

I might have DL'ed the setup PDF that Marin used to have up on their site on my old PC @ home. I'll check. If I can find it, I'll PM you and arrange to send it via email.

I owned a TeamDH for a several years. Nice, simple, light single-pivot design. Some people had trouble with snapping the swingarm pretty regularly. I never did. The bike rode nicely in 7-8.5" travel modes. Forget anything longer, as it does kinda funny things to the geometry, and increases the leverage ratio on the shock to stupid levels.

Also, note that this bike exhibits LOTS of chain growth. Leave as much slack as you can, or you'll be tearing rear derailleurs off frequently.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, i found out something by the company emailing me, they said "by the way, for the 10 inch setting put a 24" wheel on it, or else it'll rub the seat tube." but i don't have a 24" wheel so, i'm running 8" :)

biketiger

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
in my house
You do need to run a 24" rear wheel in order to use the 10" setting. I found out the hard way. The tire on a 26" wheel hits the seat-tube around 9.5".

The Marin DH and the Joker were both made by the same factory in Oregon. Marin used the mainframe extrusion and Ellsworth used it later on the Joker.

Still riding my DH. I keep it in middle/middle setting. It should make you very happy.

I can't tell from the pic. Do you have the 17mm thru-axle rear end or the QR.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i can't read that name without thinking of that show on mtv called the Wildboys. they had a sock dressed up as a snake, called the black mamba and it was a way to freak the crew out on scary far away places. pretty funny

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Yeah I used to want one of those too...maybe still since you can find them pretty cheap here and there. I would make a pretty good FR bike since you can slap a front derailleur on. Although, I would put a 5th on it just so I can get some progression out of the suspension, figure out a way of putting a pulley (if I didn't use a derailleur) and have a floating brake.