Quantcast

Black Mountain/Swannanoa/Asheville?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've got to be in Black Mountain next week to help my wife and family clean out my mother-in-laws house. She recently passed away so we have to get the condo ready to put on the market. I doubt I'll have more than an hour or two here or there to get away, but I'd like to try...

The Asheville pump track thread has me intrigued. If I get a moment I'll definitely try to check that out. Bizutch, thanks for posting the address.

Anything else I should look for? Are the Swannanoa jumps gone for good? Since I won't have a lot of time I probably would just bring a 24" cruiser and not my trail bike. Any other thoughts?

I wish I could say I was coming for better reasons and had more free time 'cause I sure do miss hanging out in ashevegas...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you're in Black Mountain & only have a little time, you can either ride Kitsuma for the afternoon, about 1:45 to 2 hrs to do the loop from the parking lot up top (the old paved road climb back up is fully legal). OR, some people short on time get dropped off at the parking lot, climb it & have someone pick them up at the picnic tables. If you're time is tight...that would take you roughly an hour.

In Asheville proper, if you are only going to bring the cruiser, definitely just hit the pump track. My cruiser was a BLAST there or you can do the dirt jumps out at Industry Nine. But the 20-30 minutes each way in the car could be spent blasting down Kitsuma. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh..and if you let me know a few days in advance, I can arrange to meet you. Not like Manimal is doing me right now. Ask me to ride with him then 2 days in a row, then drop a turd on the host. :thumb:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I'll see about bringing the Bottle Rocket instead of the cruiser. It would probably do okay at the pump track too.

I've always wanted to hit Kitsuma. I've never done it. Last time I spent significant time around Asheville was as a paddler, not a pedaler, but I've hiked parts of it at the top and it's been on my hitlist ever since... And it would only be 5 minutes away from where we're staying. :)

Quick question... where does Kitsuma come out relative to the "geyser"?

also, I sent you a pm re contact info. Thanks. Dave

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I 2nd the Kitsuma option and your Bottlerocket would still be really fun at the pump track. I rode my SX out there. Let me know and I'll meet ya'll for the ride too. :thumb:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
I highly suggest hitting Kitsuma...it is in absolutely prime condition right now, so much fun, I just hit it on Sunday.

About the geyser, if my memory serves me correctly its about halfway between the top and bottom via the gravel road...but I havn't been on that road in a while, so don't be pissed if I'm wrong.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Oh, and if you go to the pump track let me know. That place is my new favorite place...thats not a trail, of course.

About Swannanoa, last time I was there(about a month ago) they were still there. Not in the best shape ever but they make for a good time; I should be going out there one afternoon before the weeks out to ride so I'll let you know.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Kitsuma comes out into the parking lot of the Old Fort Picnic Grounds. Coming from Old Fort, it's right where the main road takes a 90 degree right to go the to geyser. Going straight (concrete) is old Hwy 70 (closed to motorists)...open to recreational users all the way to the top.

brokeONE

Monkey
Feb 2, 2002
asheville,NC
Montreat has some descent riding on the old toll rd going up to mt mitchell. You can also drop off the toll rd on rattlesnake trail and you'll come out in Ridgecrest on the road that takes you to Kitizuma trail head. You can get free trail maps of Montreat at the ranger shack or store just below the dam in Montreat.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Good news for Kitsuma. The gate at the top is back to FS Brown color, freshly painted yesterday. No more "No bikes allowed" sign. It's been replaced with a very professional FS brown sign with engraved message stating "you are passing through Private Property. Stay on path to reach National Forest". Funny thing is...they used the landowners existing gate! : D

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Swannanoa is still there, apparently a bunch of bmx kids are doing a lot of the digging out there, the back line is money...they havn't started digging on the center line or anything else yet, but they have started what looks to be a super fun line in the back corner(by the start of the back line).

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
i teach mountian biking at a camp in black mountian and usually ride kitsuma or other stuff in pisgah on my day off. its a great trail as long as you dont mind hike-a-bike for the first dozen or so switch backs. climbable but id rather save my energy for the down. which is sweeet. love the bottom section where people have added a hip jump and a gap. deffiently worth checking it out. let me know when your goin and i could meet you out there. 803-840-4221 (Casey)

Transition rocks!! bring the bottle rocket. my preston loves it.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
Kitsuma is definitely worth checking out if you are going to be that close.One of the better downhills in the area. I haven't ridden it since the addition of the gap jump(where is it?) Very tight and very fun singletrack. There is even a nice big log to ride on towards the end of the singletrack.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Well, I convinced my wife to at least let me bring the bike (yes, the bottlerocket). Hurdle number one overcome! Unfortunately, I wrecked it Wednesday night, bent a chainring and tweeked the rear wheel, but I was able to get that fixed last night. Unforseen hurdle number two overcome...

Will I have time to ride? That question will be answered soon enough. Thanks for the info y'all.

Bizutch and Kenan, hopefully I'll be in touch.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Well, I convinced my wife to at least let me bring the bike (yes, the bottlerocket). Hurdle number one overcome! Unfortunately, I wrecked it Wednesday night, bent a chainring and tweeked the rear wheel, but I was able to get that fixed last night. Unforseen hurdle number two overcome...

Will I have time to ride? That question will be answered soon enough. Thanks for the info y'all.

Bizutch and Kenan, hopefully I'll be in touch.
If you can but get out the door, the time will find itself...:brows:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Worst week ever...

I'll spare you the gorey details but events mainly centered around my drug-addled brother-in-law who claimed my wife and her sister were "stealing" all their Mom's valuables. Strangely he was only interested in the real valuables, like Tv, computer, silver, jewerly and not family pictures, etc. Go figure...

There was one kicked in front door and at one point I was accused of assualt when I had stop him from taking stuff that didn't belong to him and I was pretty worried I might end up in jail. There numerous calls to and visits from the Black Mountain Police. Basically it was a 5 day long cluster-f***. . It was probably the most mentally and physically exhausting week of my life. I'm just glad to be home. Needless to say there was no riding, damn it.