Quantcast

Blackspire Chain Guide Wont Fit?

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
I have a Specialized Big Hit Spec and for some reason the Blackspire wont fit it. The back plate ring is too big and rubs on the swingarm mount. Will the E.13 also be the same? I would like to know before i order it so I dont have to go through the hassle again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also just to make sure, my bike does take an ISCG right?

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
I have a Specialized Big Hit Spec and for some reason the Blackspire wont fit it. The back plate ring is too big and rubs on the swingarm mount. Will the E.13 also be the same? I would like to know before i order it so I dont have to go through the hassle again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Howdy,

I am sure we have a fit for you.
Contact Derek at the office either by calling or e-mailing. Our phone number is 978.537.9313 and e-mail is support@e13components.com. He will be the best person to ask for fitment and we will be able to give you the most amount of fit tips.

Thanks,
Michael
e.thirteen

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Just because the diameter of the guide places 'over' the pivot does not mean the guide will not work.
You will (most likely) need some washers/spacers between the ISCG tabs (yes they are ISCG) and the guide to get the correct spacing to your chainring.

I am not sure what model that guide is, but there are several made with different 'max' chainring diameter. If that model accepts up to a 44 tooth, that could also be some of the issue. NO ONE runs a 44 tooth front ring anymore on this type of bike, so there is no need for such a large guide diameter.

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
Just because the diameter of the guide places 'over' the pivot does not mean the guide will not work.
You will (most likely) need some washers/spacers between the ISCG tabs (yes they are ISCG) and the guide to get the correct spacing to your chainring.

I am not sure what model that guide is, but there are several made with different 'max' chainring diameter. If that model accepts up to a 44 tooth, that could also be some of the issue. NO ONE runs a 44 tooth front ring anymore on this type of bike, so there is no need for such a large guide diameter.
Well in order for it to be "Spaced" Far enought away from the bike I would need at least 1/2"-3/4" Spacers on each bolt to fit it to where the thing doesnt touch my pivot. Yes there is that much room i would need behind it.

Looks like Im gonna have to go back to using the Truvativ Box Chain Guide. :disgust:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005

Specialized uses some spacers between the back plate and the ICGS tabs. Have you local dealer call Specialized and find out which ones they use.
VM

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
No all the Big hits have black spire's except the spec's. And Gamut's on the Demo line.
Trust me

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
No all the Big hits have black spire's except the spec's. And Gamut's on the Demo line.
Trust me
Not too sure what your saying. Big Hit Specs come stock with Truvativ Boxguides not Blackspires. This is one that I had bought from a buddy thinking it would work. Looks like I am gonna have to order a Boxguide.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
The ICGS tabs are in to far so Specialized uses spacers on all the chain guides. Just space the backing plate out with some washers and get a BB Cup spacer from a shop and install it between the BB cup and the frame.
I had to do this on my canfield.
VM

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
The ICGS tabs are in to far so Specialized uses spacers on all the chain guides. Just space the backing plate out with some washers and get a BB Cup spacer from a shop and install it between the BB cup and the frame.
I had to do this on my canfield.
VM
OK well I am going to have to find 3/4" thick spacers for it and honestly will look pretty funky being mounted so far away like that.

Its not like I can just through a couple washers back there and it will be fine. I will have to stack about 10 washers behind each bolt for it to stick out far enough and no I am not exaggerating.