Quantcast

blast from the past - DH 1994

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
here is my Team race bike from 1994

Bombproof D-2 with AMP Research (Mr. horst leitner) B-2 rear suspension kit - horst pivot but a mac-strut design which meant the shock regularly blew its guts as it was a 'loaded member'

Sachs (i.e. SRAM) New Success groupset, Kore finishing kit, FIR rims, IRC prototype tires and lots of 'tweaks' - 120mm rear travel, back in 1994!

Sachs hydro disc brake mounted on Rockshox Judy DH fork, before DH forks (or any forks!) had disc mounts - we used a custom machined aluminium alloy piece and 2 x Sachs 34.9mm front derailleur clamps with some epoxy adhesive to secure this disc brake

Noleen (nitrogen charged coil / oil shock) TWP AMP seat stay brace and Sachs hydro brake lever / hose / cable pump with New Success V-brake

blast from the past...loved this bike, forerunner to the Specialized FSR which led to the current Demo 8 II

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sweet! I used to have that seat and the bullet bros chain tensioner :)

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
with the Judy DH, I remember thinking...what would you need 3" of travel for?? I love all of the crazy rigs floating around back then. Seems like everyone tried to produce a suspension design. I saw an original Lawwill on ebay recently

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Schwinn Homegrown aluminum hardtail. Thought I had such an awesome bike at this point in time.

First year Judy SL. snazzy red ano Bullet Bros. tensioner, stupid 44 tooth Profile red ano big ring, devastating Answer "DH" handlebar, Tioga Pyshco T tread on RHyno Lites.

In Asheville, people actually considered this bike a "downhill" bike. Pic is of my race run on the worst DH track ever. :D

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Schwinn Homegrown aluminum hardtail. Thought I had such an awesome bike at this point in time.

First year Judy SL. snazzy red ano Bullet Bros. tensioner, stupid 44 tooth Profile red ano big ring, devastating Answer "DH" handlebar, Tioga Pyshco T tread on RHyno Lites.

In Asheville, people actually considered this bike a "downhill" bike. Pic is of my race run on the worst DH track ever. :D
That was a great bike! I remember riding one of those and really liking it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had a Bullet Brothers chain tensioner on my GT Tequesta too. I always would catch the spring on twigs and stuff and pull it off. ;)
I always used the heavy "DH" spring, and actually never caught it on things.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps

Not that you can see it, but it's a GT STS-DH with Rockshox DHOs, AC chainguide, Formula disc brakes etc... Circa 1997/8

But enough about the bike, how cool do I look posing on top of my car in lycra?

Thats right, damn cool!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
You know those mock motivational posters that say things like 'THIS GUY...you will never be as awesome as him' that picture should be made into one Damo

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
is that so that in 1997 it started to explode with such designs like dual crowns, frame designs? for me 95 and 97 design look so different. i started my interest for bikes from 99 or so :p I remember I had Junior T 130mm dual crown fork with Kona hehe

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010

Not that you can see it, but it's a GT STS-DH with Rockshox DHOs, AC chainguide, Formula disc brakes etc... Circa 1997/8

But enough about the bike, how cool do I look posing on top of my car in lycra?

Thats right, damn cool!
I rode an STS-DH for the 1997 season. At the NORBA National in Utah, the frame separated at the BB. So much for the epoxy holding together the aluminum and "thermoplastic" at the BB junction!

Got a replacement frame, and I believe that I sold it to a guy (IIRC) who went on to become a multi-time national XC/Short Track/Super D champ. I hear that guy is still racing, though I imagine he ripped that STS apart in no time. :thumb:

EDIT: Also, forgot this: both the Forumla brakes and AC chainguard were utter ****. That chainguard had at least 15 moving parts.

EDIT 2: Those forks were turds, they'd flex like noodles in the corners.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I was at the bmx track back in the day and this dude rolls up on one of these

He even let me ride it, so I hit this 6-pack of rollers at mach speed, bouncing on the tops of the jumps. I thought that bike was the shiz.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007

He even let me ride it, so I hit this 6-pack of rollers at mach speed, bouncing on the tops of the jumps. I thought that bike was the shiz.
even has the rock ring!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
When I first started out, I thought that was one of the coolest looking bikes. My shop local shop had them, and the shop owner rode one. When I ended up riding it, I was happy to own a fully rigid bike, even though at the time I probably didn't fully appreciate it ;)

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA

My god i remember riding one of these my buddy had, should be the definition of a pogo stick :weee:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
To the youngins out there... those are elastomer bumpers, not a shock spring covered in rubber..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I rode an STS-DH for the 1997 season. At the NORBA National in Utah, the frame separated at the BB. So much for the epoxy holding together the aluminum and "thermoplastic" at the BB junction!

Got a replacement frame, and I believe that I sold it to a guy (IIRC) who went on to become a multi-time national XC/Short Track/Super D champ. I hear that guy is still racing, though I imagine he ripped that STS apart in no time. :thumb:

EDIT: Also, forgot this: both the Forumla brakes and AC chainguard were utter ****. That chainguard had at least 15 moving parts.

EDIT 2: Those forks were turds, they'd flex like noodles in the corners.

My brother in law rode with me on a trail ride in Bent Creek a year or so ago. He borrowed a bike. He pulled up with Greg Reynolds (former junior DH National Champ and Worlds qualifier) race bike. It was an LTS-DH with 52 chainring and MRP with an original Boxxer and the Panaracer something or others on it....those first DH specific race tires.

We laughed the whole ride at the creaking and popping sounds it made.:weee: