Quantcast

Blender advice

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Given the age of the monkeys in here, I'm guessing some of you have years of experience with blenders.... or mortar and pestle... :D
In an effort to eat healthier, I've been blending my veggies each day in a smoothie for a couple of years now. We have a decent kitchen aid, but we have now had two failures of the "bushing" that the blade rotates in, rendering the pitchers useless and un-fixable (plastic threads and glued parts ftw)
Im looking for reccomendations from those who use the blender at least every day, and I'd like something that can hold up. I think we're ready to bite the bullet and pay for a nice one, but I want to make the right decision. My inclination is towards simplicity and reliability.

Are there any pitfalls to the blendtec/ vitamix/ bullet etc. that we should know about before throwing down enough money to buy a dishwasher?

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Warings have super powerful motors and everyone fixes them.
Serviceable would be ideal since warranties don't last forever- I had not even considered waring but I'll check them and cuisinart out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine is the blender product manager at Hamilton Beach, she can probably kick everyone on RMs butt on the bike.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I have a ninja that I bought at garage sale that has been working well. But not as well as the Vitamix I lost when I split up with my ex-ex.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I use my Vitamix EVERY morning to make my breakfast smoothie. We use it a lot for homemade hummus, tons of sauces and dips...endless uses.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wife and I used a Kitchen-Aid blender nearly every day for 15 years to make breakfast shakes, which included frozen berries and ice. That thing worked like a champ, but eventually broke down. I thought 15 years of every day use was a good run. We use a Ninja now. We've had it for a couple of years and it's a fine blender.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We had a Cusinart for a while but the motor smoked out for no apparent reason. I'm personally go with a commercial grade again if our current one dies.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The owner of my company busts this out for special events. It is loud. Good power modulation

Those keept popping up when I was searching for an image of the gas powered blender Sram had at a race a long time ago. It had one of those exhaust pipes like the crazy looking chainsaws used in lumberjack competitions.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
So a friend let us try out a blendtec. It totally smoothied the shit out of stuff, but it was kind of unstable when blending. I also didn't like that there wasn't simply an on/off switch- it was either speed up/down buttons or stupid pre set buttons for things like smoothie, ice cream, etc.
We went with a vitamix since the controls are very simple and wound up finding out that it shakes way less as it runs. Might have something to do with the thicker pitcher and massive, ugly, base.
I also like that the pitcher bearing is actually serviceable, the blendtec didn't appear to be, which was concerning since that's why I had to change blenders in the first place. Thanks everyone for the input and laughs- first world problem solved! :thumb:

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
My father in law has a Blendtec that needs a 20 amp plug. He has had if for at least 8 years now, and its still solid.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Use the search newb, blenders have been covered numerous times on RM. Vitamix is the best brand but Blendtec makes the best carafe on the market. Hopefully you bought a Vitamix compatible with the Vitamix Advanced carafe (which also works with the Waring MX series).
http://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/juicers.256464/#post-3867009

The latest significant breakthrough in blenders is a vacuum blender, several companies will be trying to develop their own version. Oxidation, especially with high speed model that inject tons of air, is a significant problem to overcome:

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
...says the newb who didn't notice that the OP solved his issue, bought a blender, and posted an update.
Says the newb who didn't read my reply that states that hopefully he bought the right Vitamix model.

Edit: I realized I was replying to a necrobump at 430 this morning (that post is deleted now), but it was something to do while I had to be up and vacuum blenders are an interesting development that insiders are talking about.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
eat real food
Smoothies are typically made with healthy whole fruits, vegetables, yogurt, milk, juice, flax/chia seeds, etc. That's more fresh and real than the premade hot sauces you post about. You can also make fresh sauces, soup, nut butter, etc, etc

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Smoothies are typically made with healthy whole fruits, vegetables, yogurt, milk, juice, flax/chia seeds, etc. That's more fresh and real than the premade hot sauces you post about. You can also make fresh sauces, soup, nut butter, etc, etc
You should make yourself a feral cat smoothie. It would combine two of your favorite soapboxes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
bite me

I make 90% of all my food from scratch using organic ingredients. eating foods that you have to chew releases digestive enzymes in the mouth that end up in the gut and aid digestion and absorption. you dont get that with smoothies

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bite me

I make 90% of all my food from scratch using organic ingredients. eating foods that you have to chew releases digestive enzymes in the mouth that end up in the gut and aid digestion and absorption. you dont get that with smoothies
Actually smoothies are emulsions that are mechanically and thoroughly ripped apart and are easily digestible with higher levels of nutrients due to ruptured cell walls and still provide tons of fiber. Juicing not so much in fiber. Either allows one to consume significantly more fruits and vegetables than could normally consumed by mouth which is one of the reasons you should try to minimize the amounts of sugary fruits or vegetables in smoothies and especially juice if you regularly consume either. Each must be rapidly consumed because they start oxidizing immediately and go bad much more quickly than produce with intact cell walls.

Fresh smoothies and juice can be unhealthy because they're more nutrient dense and more easily digested than regular food.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Actually smoothies are emulsions that are mechanically and thoroughly ripped apart and are easily digestible with higher levels of nutrients due to ruptured cell walls and still provide tons of fiber. Juicing not so much in fiber. Either allows one to consume significantly more fruits and vegetables than could normally consumed by mouth which is one of the reasons you should try to minimize the amounts of sugary fruits or vegetables in smoothies and especially juice if you regularly consume either. Each must be rapidly consumed because they start oxidizing immediately and go bad much more quickly than produce with intact cell walls.
1278460793889.jpg