Quantcast

blindside spring weight

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Anyone have any feedback on the spring rate they are running on their blindside?

I am trying to get mine tuned in right and the 500 i have on the bike seems really soft right now, all my dhx settings are about in the middle zone in terms of boost and rebound but the thing is gushy. I run about 170 w/ gear on...

I want to get a ti spring but don’t want to make the wrong choice here, lets hear some thoughts.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Ti springs can be off by up to 15%, steel up to 10%. I am 165 and run a 400lbs spring and it works well for me, meanwhile some of my teammates are running significantly stiffer. 550 for some of them and they are your weight.
ive found that wierd as well.

im about 170-175 geared up and run a 450 spring on my vivid.

and i know a few other guys at 180lb running a 500-550-600 on their dhx

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
so the word is we are all over the road and noone has a solid number haha...

Yeah 550 sounds huge for my weight but the ride is soft...i dont think i am missing anything on the shock setup either

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ti springs can be off by up to 15%, steel up to 10%. I am 165 and run a 400lbs spring and it works well for me, meanwhile some of my teammates are running significantly stiffer. 550 for some of them and they are your weight.

Where did you get that info?? Yes there is tollerance, and the going rumor is that most steel springs are around 10%..but Ti springs from the two US mfg are much less than that.

To the OP, try the TFTuned spring calculator, it has been pretty close for many people and has worked for me for several different sus designs (they give rates for diff sus designs and diff shocks).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
ive found that wierd as well.

im about 170-175 geared up and run a 450 spring on my vivid.

and i know a few other guys at 180lb running a 500-550-600 on their dhx
Right...the Vivid is more in line with the most current MTB damper thoughts with a bit more damping..it also offers true LSC,HSC,LSR, and HSR that the DHX does not. THe DHX was an answer to the 5ths and manitou 6 ways that had a horrible transition from LSC to HSC. In response, the DHX has minimal LSC and thus more dynamic sag. I am sure when the new Fox shock hits the market, it will have more 'control' (less chassis movement, etc). The pendulum swings back and forth........

The Vivid, much like the CCDB (al though very different) has a more controlled LSC giving a higher dynamic sag, and requiring less spring...

-Danno-

Chimp
Jan 31, 2006
To the OP, try the TFTuned spring calculator, it has been pretty close for many people and has worked for me for several different sus designs (they give rates for diff sus designs and diff shocks).
The BS has a significant rising rate that averages around a 3.3 leverage ratio from top out through sag. That's why people find that it takes a heavier spring then expected to get the right sag.