Quantcast

Blue Karate Monkey!!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I like!

I wonder if they raised the bottom bracket height at all in addition to adding in that downtube/headtube gusset (fork clearance solution perhaps?)

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Not thrilled by this color. It's okay, I guess.

The Monkey is quickly being supplanted by other, smarter, similar handling single speeds. (El Mariachi anyone?) I would have liked to have seen a redo from the ground up. Ditch the "do-it-all" mentality. Go strictly single speed, disc only. "Reba" clearance, yes, geometry tweaks, yes. And the new color for such a beast?

Flat Black, of course! :monkeydance:

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Maybe they are thinking of changing the name to Smurf? Well, probably not due to patent infringements, but at least they've got the same color.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
It's really quite nice as it is, but not the ultimate SS bike (anymore). If the KM would remain as the big daddy of do-all's (mine is in it's 3rd or 4th incarnation, a monster commuter), a performance-aimed ground up new bike would be a great addition to the Surly line-up. The KM won't ever be a big seller like it once was (limited by supply, not demand), a new 29"er could sell very nicely.
I don't like disc-only though. Then just use removable canti mounts. I like that my new Redline Monocog (it's got some of the KM's desired tweaks) also accepts V's. For my riding, it suffices, and it has a nice trouble-free vide to it. I may put a mechanical disc on the front though.

My green KM looks so bad compared to the new blue...
However, I've see a few one-off powdercoat jobs done on KM's which would have been even nicer (and more expensive) for a production frame. Never in person unfortunately.
IMO the green KM does have the most soul, and always will. It's the first production 29" frame we could buy for home builds. The Fisher doesn't count, it came with a $$$ Marz fork.

ncj01

Chimp
Aug 16, 2006
I've see a few one-off powdercoat jobs done on KM's...

...IMO the green KM does have the most soul, and always will....
OK, you're just begging for it aren't you??? :brows:

ps: this bike DOES have the soul of a green KM...it was one...

Original build, summer 2003 (circa the last time I was actually fast):

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Sorry to let you know, but I've gotten over your KM.
I meant some of those metallic grey ones. Poison green too.

No, who am I kidding here? You suck for ever selling your only truly beautiful bike. More soul than bling.
Something about about that XL (60cm) frame in that color, with fatty components....

In that orange, I'd buy a new one and sell the green. I own those same brakes and blue and blau White Bros forks to put on it.