Quantcast

blue screen - options?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ok, i'm back...

i was able to limp along w/ a single 512MB stick before i went on vacation, and w/ this snowy day i've got some time to troubleshoot.

i made an ISO boot disc of memtest, changed the BIOS to boot from a cd-rom first, and installed all 4 sticks (2x512, 2x1GB) but i just got a regular beeping sound from the PC and never got any sort of screen splash.

so i took out one of the 1GB sticks (so the slots on the MoBo look like this now: 1st slot (512) 2nd slot (empty) 3rd slot (512) 4th slot (1GB)) and it booted fine, but went to windows rather than running memtest as i expected.

i checked the properties of my computer and it says that i've got 1.5 GB of RAM, so obviously one of the sticks (512) isn't being used.

what steps should i take next?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You have to use memtest like I said, one stick at a time until you find the bad stick(s) (if there are none bad - bad slot(s)):

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2831903&postcount=24

Make sure you open the ISO image to burn the CD image. Sounds like you burned a data CD with the iso file instead of burning an CD from an image file.

You can check by inserting the CD you burned in windows - if you can see a *.iso file on the CD, you didn't burn it right.

Download memtest+ and try again if so.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think i burned the disc fine, as i used both Nero and imgburn; there's a readme.txt file and boot folder on the disk.

i will try the RAM sticks one by one...does it matter which slot they are in, on the MoBo? my graphics card makes it a PITA to access two of the slots, and i have to remove it to install sticks there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Test them one at a time all in the same slot - doesn't matter which. If they all pass, you'll know its a bad slot so then you'll have to test each of the slots with one run of memtest...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think i burned the disc fine, as i used both Nero and imgburn; there's a readme.txt file and boot folder on the disk.
i guess i'm an idiot...what i thought was a boot disk isn't one, or at least my PC doesn't recognize it as one.

here's what the disk details are:

label is MT201

there's a boot folder, and a readme.txt file. in the boot folder are two files; one called 'boot.cat' and one called 'memtest.img'. is this what i need for a boot disc? i created this using imgburn.

i changed the boot order in my PC (actually only set option) to boot from cd-rom, but the cdr i made wasn't able to boot my system.

i bailed, reset the BIOS to boot from my hard drive (and found that the previous post about my D drive not being seen was from a loose connection i must have jarred during RAM chip futzing about), and now am just running one RAM stick.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
If you adjust the color settings on your monitor, you can change that annoying blue screen to a nice green or perhaps purple...