Quantcast

Blue/SteveW: VW Question

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Blue, Need help with spark plugs... 03 Jetta GL (AVH engine code)
I posted over on Vortex, but I need to get this done today.

Thanks in advance. I am currently trying to replace the spark plugs on my fiance's 2003 Jetta GL (engine code AVH) and have run into the problem of how to get to the spark plugs. I have been following the directions from the Bently manual, but the manual describes the process in a manner I can not actually do. It recommends going straight on with the plug cover removal tool , but the intake manifold (I think that's what it is) is completely blocking access. I tried following the instructions from the old DIY thread, but I again can't get the tool in to remove the spark plug wires from the plugs.

Engine Pic 1:

The Bentley manual shows the four(4) pipes splitting at the beginning of the bend allowing access to the spark plugs.

Spark Plug pics 1 :

As you can see in this image, there is restricted vertical space to get the tool into the area to remove the spark plug caps (correct nomenclature?). I can't even get in there with a set of long needle nose to remove all the bits attached to the plugs.

I am making the assumption that the spark plug is directly underneath the blue cap in the below picture:

How do I get access into the area without taking off the intake manifold?
If I need to take it off, how do I? I don't want to rip the whole engine apart to change the plugs.

Thanks.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Those look like the injectors/fuel rail? I'm not too familiar with the mk4 engines.

From this write up it might give you a better idea. Bummer you have a MK4 and not a MK3. It would have come with the tool you need.

Also, from what it looks like you may have to remove the intake manifold. You might want to get a new set of intake manifold gaskets (probably a few bucks from the stealership). To remove it, the bently *should tell you how to. But my best bet would be to remove the screws (the kind of blueish looking ones) that are connecting the upper manifold to the lower manifold that goes into the front of the head. Once its loose it should give you enough room to move it a bit to get some tools up in there.

I don't think you absolutely need new gaskets, but its always a good idea to replace them when you break the seal. Some liquid gasket would probably be an easy fix without going to the stealership.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was thinking they were injectors when I was looking at them because of the fuel rail, but I can't even FIND anything that looks the sparks other than those. I hate this engine.
I bought a tool, but I can't see how I"m supposed to get it into that area.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I was thinking they were injectors when I was looking at them because of the fuel rail, but I can't even FIND anything that looks the sparks other than those. I hate this engine.
I bought a tool, but I can't see how I"m supposed to get it into that area.
Get that manifold off. =]

You check the bently for everything spark plug / wire related? No information about the intake manifold? Hmm... Maybe look for the intake manifold or the DIY/maintenance section...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, the instructions just say to take the retarded plastic cover off.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The kotex probably won't be much help, did you post in the technical engine forum? Posting in the MkIV forum is a futile effort at best.

I've never actually worked on a Mk3/Mk4 8v, only the older version where the intake mani doesn't cover the valve cover. It does indeed look like the intake manifold needs to come off, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to do that and the plugs. Autozone probably has the gaskets for a few bucks if you don't care about the quality, or like TH said, the dealership.

I'm texting a VW tech I know to see what he says...

edit: have you looked through this DIY for AEG?
http://dubpix.com/Pics/VORTEX/Plugs/DIY_Plugs_AEG.pdf

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Figured it out. They are f*in buried in there. I;m going to need a 12" extension and universal joint and to unplug a ton of electricals to get at them...
Subaru was so much easier to work on....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wait.... did someone actually just start a thread asking Blue for automotive advice? :rofl:

Next you should ask TheBionicTaco how to pick up chicks.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wait.... did someone actually just start a thread asking Blue for automotive advice? :rofl:

Next you should ask TheBionicTaco how to pick up chicks.
When it comes to VW's that boy has had his ripped apart more times than any normal person ever should. I figure he would at LEAST know where the sparks are.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't think VW engines are meant to outlast the spark plugs. Remove engine, install new.

I am guessing that would be both quicker AND easier.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
VW tech has confirmed your assumption. And you need the stupid plug tool.

:)

VW engines are tanks. Everything else in the car, sadly, isn't.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My brother handles the mechanical sh*t on my car. He tells me what tools to hand him and stay the fvck out of the way.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
rant about the quality of plastic used on jettas:

it's so cold here the plastic actuator for my trunk latch snapped when the solenoid pushed it (to open the trunk).

off to the dealer to get the part number, then off to ebay to pay 80% less

i've replaced 4 glove boxes due to weak plastic hinges, all during winter months

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

it's so cold here the plastic actuator for my trunk latch snapped when the solenoid pushed it (to open the trunk).

i've replaced 4 glove boxes due to weak plastic hinges, all during winter months
You can't expect a German car to be designed to handle any climates other than Black Forest Sub Tropical. It would certainly explain why the AC in mine can keep up with temps over 80.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Have you ever experienced the joy of pulling your door handle off in the winter if you have owned a 85-92 jetta/golf because the door was frozen shut?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
of course, the part i need is "integral to the actuator latch mechanism", costing $58+labor
Have you ever experienced the joy of pulling your door handle off in the winter if you have owned a 85-92 jetta/golf because the door was frozen shut?
no; i did that this summer to replace the window clips that too snapped off, causing the window to drop in the door

i like taking **** apart as much as the next guy, but i'd like to be doing it to improve, not maintain.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
HATED my MkIV. Brake work, suspension, interior stripping, airbags, coolant sensors, MAF sensors, exhaust hangers, dome lights, lo-jack malfunctions, metal shards in my oil, burned up oil in like 2,400 miles, improper brake pad wear, window clips, headlights, tail lights, drive shafts...

But 17x10's did look SO good in the back of that thing.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha... you guys sound like every other VWvortexer.

Total Heckler can back me up on the bad*ssness of wider wheels in the rear.

One name: VentoDan.

And this guy seems to think wider in the rear is legit, so I'll side with VentoDan and this guy:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haha... you guys sound like every other VWvortexer.

Total Heckler can back me up on the bad*ssness of wider wheels in the rear.

One name: VentoDan.
Since the tires look to be the same size as the front I'm guessing the advantage is from heavier wheels lowering the center of gravity?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I have a 2000 VR6 Jetta. Love the car a lot. It may not be the prettiest looking car but drives SO nice. The vr also has a nice exhaust note.
i must say it does drive like cosby-approved pudding. i'm reminded of how fun it is when my daughter's sliding around the back in her booster seat, leaving nose prints on both windows.

that reminds me: i need to check the tension on the seat belts