Quantcast

BMW Performace driving school

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Just got back... so much fun :)

I got to drive the 335i, 550i, Z4 Coupe, 135, M5 & M3 at the limit.

I spent more time in the 335 than any of the others doing track work and handling exercises like slaloms and braking at speed, but I did some skid pad stuff in the 550 and drove all of the above on a short track.

Of all the most impressive car was the M5 because of its 500hp v10, trick transmission and automatic lumbar supports (yes the lumbar supports were in the top 3 coolest things on the car), the M3 was the fastest car there and got around the track quickest, but honestly the most surprising car of them all to me was the 135... I was right up the M5's butt after lap 2... it just handled SO well. The Z4 was a POS.

This was probably the coolest thing I have ever done... This school gets a big :thumb: from me.

My instructor was one of the race car drivers in the movie Talledega Nights. I fought the urge to call him "Ricky Booby" multiple times.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Sounds like a blast. I've been wanting to attend the Audi perf driving school too. One day!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's bad ass.

I remember seeing the ads in the back of Road & Track that advertised the M3 school when I was a kid (mid 80's). I loved the old M3 and the idea of beating the piss out of it on a track is even better.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
What's really amazing is the that your time with the 335 wasn't cut short by blown turbos.

The new 1 series is pretty slick looking.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I am SO jealous! The closest I've come to that is driving my cousins new M5 through some twisty neighborhoods with him yapping at me from the passenger seat.

Doesn't quite compare, huh?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
spartanburg or germany? Did you pay or recently buy a BMW?

Spartanburg, and no I don't own a BMW. This was actually a B-day present to me from my father, who actually does own a BMW (328 xi coupe). Bday was actually in Feb but dad and I both have pretty demanding jobs so we had to wait several months before we both had holes in our schedules. We had talked about doing this or an Indy school for quite some time... Indy school next year maybe :)

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
That's bad ass.

I remember seeing the ads in the back of Road & Track that advertised the M3 school when I was a kid (mid 80's). I loved the old M3 and the idea of beating the piss out of it on a track is even better.
I can't believe how hard they run those cars. They have a fleet of 335's, 550's, & M3's. Those cars live 90% of their lives at full throttle, being shifted like mad and having to brake like crazy all day long.

What's really amazing is the that your time with the 335 wasn't cut short by blown turbos.

The new 1 series is pretty slick looking.
Not a single issue with any of the cars the entire time... and we beat the crap out of them. What's odd about the twin turbos is that you have to concentrate really hard to hear them at all... they are almost silent... and no lag at all either. Totally different than my car... at 3000rpm my car changes personality. The 335's are immediately on it.

I am SO jealous! The closest I've come to that is driving my cousins new M5 through some twisty neighborhoods with him yapping at me from the passenger seat.

Doesn't quite compare, huh?
Not even close. Try driving it sideways through a curve @ 70 with the auto lumbars squeezing you so hard you can barely move. Yeah... I loved that car.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Spartanburg, and no I don't own a BMW. This was actually a B-day present to me from my father, who actually does own a BMW (328 xi coupe). Bday was actually in Feb but dad and I both have pretty demanding jobs so we had to wait several months before we both had holes in our schedules. We had talked about doing this or an Indy school for quite some time... Indy school next year maybe :)
Im jealous I had the opportunity to go to that class for $100 because my roommates worked for BMW, we would have gone but a bunch of grad students flaked out because it cost too much. :crazy:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
They happened to have an event at the Killington Resort in Vermont the same weekend I went there for a wedding. About 10 of us signed for the 8hr class. It was a riot. Best part of the weekend. More fun then the Skip Barber class I went to Limerock years earlier. The one on one sessions taught me so much...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
yeehaaaww!!! been there plenty of times in the wifeys 330i(minus the lumbars). wish i could stay on it though thru several in a row though, that would be bad ass...
Got to corner a lot which was great but I really never got to open them up for more than a few seconds... especially the M5 & 3... I never got those 2 out of 3rd gear before I had to set up for another corner. Of course top of 3rd gear is nothing to complain about... makes peak power at something like 8000 RPM.