Quantcast

Bmx bike advice

nightfall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
I mostly just do urban on my 26'' bike, but I've decided to get a bmx bike just to mess around with, and practice some stuff.

I don't know that much about bmx, so what is a good bike that isn't too expensive(something around $300)? I'll probably be looking at used bikes, unless someone knows of a good bike in that price range. Any help is appreciated.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Look at some used bikes, or some completes from companies like Fit, Eastern, DK, Volume, Federal, and even Specialized. A good complete with a full 4130 steel frame will be in the 3 to 400 dollar range.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
...If you are looking for something new, i'd suggest a DK Cleveland, a full chromoly frame with a nice parts spec for under $350.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Pretty much any new complete at that price will be similar, just get one from any of the major brands like HRDTLBRO recommended and you'll be golden.

You could go used too, which is what I'd do. You can get some smoking deals. I know I just sold a Specialized 415 Pro w/ Primo cranks, cassette 14mm wheels, etc. for $150.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Avoid "mid range" brands (GT, Haro, Specialized etc.) from before 1995. In fact if you end up looking at these companies I'd try and get an 06. Earlier than that 'heavy and strong' was the order of the day and now it is not.

Yes, Second hand may be your best bet. You should be aiming at a bike around 35lbs for that sort of money. Learn your products and you'll probably find a few gems on EBay. BMXs tend to retail quite low second hand and sometimes you can pick up great bargains where the seller has done a bad job of saying what he is actually selling and no-one else recognises that.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
well thank you kind sir! i realy dont want to sell it, but i just replaced it with a new bmx bike. a volume ardelean.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
get a fit, i got some parts that will fit it.. get an aitken s2(series 2) and don't get a complete..look in my sig and you can get some parts that will work fine..pm me if you ned more info

dooktruck

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
austin, texas
what kind of BMX riding are you gonna be doing.
street riding like grinding and stuff...dirt jumps...flatland...

i'd buy used second hand probably.
i have a nice bike i'm trying to sell, don't know if my price is out of line or not, and like someone said strong and heavy is the order of the day for this bike...i'd rather ride a tank and be able to throw it away from me and not have to worry about stuff getting messed up...

http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/172516403.html

tjc

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
i bought a dk step up for only $200 its light strong and its an overall good bike 2 me for a good price

dablake914

Chimp
Jul 15, 2005
Burlington, CT
07 specialized fuse 2 or 3, stolen bmx "the wrap," or anything from fit really in the price range are all good pics.

i switched to park and street on my bmx too, but because i was breaking everything on my mtb's when i rode that kinda stuff on it:bonk:

nightfall

Chimp
Apr 26, 2006
Alot has changed since I made this thread, I sold the mountain bike, and got a fit flow series frame for $100. I'm looking for parts to build it up, so if any one has any pm me.

Although now that I sold the mountain I have enough $ to just buy a complete fit, and I could make some money buy selling the frame. However, I always seem to regret buying completes when I know I could of saved some money going with used parts.