Quantcast

BMX bike choices

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hey guys,

I just bought a new DH frame, but I'm serious considering a BMX. My Yeti DJ has long stays and a long a$$ top tube, so it isn't really any fun on all the urban goodness that can be found locally and semi-locally. I don't want to spend much money, but I'm really stoked on how cheap BMX stuff is. I've never really ridden real BMX before, I mean, I had a crappy little Haro in like 5th grade, but that's about it. Can anyone offer advice on choosing a good complete that I'll be comfortable on coming from a long dj/slalom bike? I'm going to be riding exclusively urban, I don't really see myself wanting to jump really. Thanks for whatever advice you can offer.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
check out the offerings from eastern, premium, fit, kink, stolen, DK, Verde, Subrosa, etc...you'd probably prefer a 21" TT and 8" bars coming from an MTB. if you look in the $4-600 range you'll probably get something decent quality. wheels and cranks seem to be the weak spots of completes so keep that in mind. you will get what you pay for in most cases.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Also keep in mind that when you need to replace something on a bmx, it's generally a lot cheaper than it would be to replace on a mtb.

So find a complete that fits you best. If it's missing good wheels, or a decent set of cranks, don't sweat it. Toss some money into when you get the chance!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
fit and eastern are my favorites so far. it's hard for me because i don't want a detangler, but i also don't want something brakeless. the fit street bikes would be perfect if they came with a rear brake, i just don't think that i'll be ready to commit to brakeless for my first bmx in like 7 years. the eastern element seems uber sick, but i'm not sure if i want to spend that much on one. i know, i'm cheap, but i think i should be able to find something.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i actually found something that could work, does anyone know anything about the 2hip Soul? it seems relatively nice, and i've heard taht 2hip is a good company to work with. it's a little hefty at almost 30 lbs, but i guess i could lighten it up over time. the price is good at $350, but i think that it might not be as nice a ride as some others. i don't think i'll notice a huge difference between other offerings when i'm first learning though. the eastern element is second runner up right now, and the fit stuff has fallen off my list because they don't make anything that has a street design, rear brake and no gyro. i love their stuff though, which is too bad.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
the fit pro trail seems pretty awesome for the price, it has high rise bars and a 20.5 top tube (sure it may seem a bit short but I'm 6' 2" and I actually felt really comfortable on it) and it's like only 319$ or less if you know danscomp codes

the 2-hip completes are pretty nice but they are on the heavy side of completes.

easterns are nice but pretty expensive, plus the cut-outs aren't appealing to everyone.

dk has some relatively good offerings but they are somewhat getting out of date with thier completes, old geometry and things like 36:13 gearing isn't that great anymore.

verde, I really don't know, some of them look nice while on the other side, some of them seem pretty cheesy for the price and the parts they have to offer.

kink, super sick bikes, almost perfect geometry for relatively cheap completes (they are on par geo-wise with some of the top frames of today), they have relatively nice parts and are pretty light. I'm still debating between a kink whip and a fit pro trail for my next little bmx

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the fit pro trail seems pretty awesome for the price, it has high rise bars and a 20.5 top tube (sure it may seem a bit short but I'm 6' 2" and I actually felt really comfortable on it) and it's like only 319$ or less if you know danscomp codes

the 2-hip completes are pretty nice but they are on the heavy side of completes.

easterns are nice but pretty expensive, plus the cut-outs aren't appealing to everyone.

dk has some relatively good offerings but they are somewhat getting out of date with thier completes, old geometry and things like 36:13 gearing isn't that great anymore.

verde, I really don't know, some of them look nice while on the other side, some of them seem pretty cheesy for the price and the parts they have to offer.

kink, super sick bikes, almost perfect geometry for relatively cheap completes (they are on par geo-wise with some of the top frames of today), they have relatively nice parts and are pretty light. I'm still debating between a kink whip and a fit pro trail for my next little bmx
thanks, i just saw the kink whip before i saw this. it really liked it, right now it's between the stolen and kink. both are a good price, i just need to figure out which is more bang for buck. also, i can't really differentiate between the two in that i have no idea which would be a better bike for street.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
well both seem to have a more built around dj specs, they both have a roomy cockpit and tall bars, the stolen has an all-around better parts spec though, comes with both sealed hubs. Both would make pretty good bikes, at this stage it's more like picking the one with the colour that suits you the best

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
really? i'm never going to be dj'ing at all. how can i determine whether it's made for street? if you could give an example of a bike, that'd be great, the only bikes i really know are street are the brakeless ones. i seriously know pretty much nothing about bmx.