Quantcast

BMX for my Son

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
My son wants a bike for x-mas... i want to get him a bike that will last him at least 2 to 3 years... he is 7 years old now....

I was looking at these:

Se Bronco:

Haro ZX

Felt Heretic

i can get any of these bikes for an AWESOME deal... i son test rode the SE bike and likes it... Since i know close to nothing about BMX bikes maybe you guys can help me decide..... which one will last him for a while.... and give a lasting impression....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
If I were 7, I would want the one with the sweet red tires.

that's what i was thinking... he test rode the SE this past weekend and loved it.... i can get it for SE 2009 Version for 175.00, the Felt 2009 for 190.00 and the Haro for 175.00...

i think the SE bike would be awesome for him...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Should i get freewheel or Coaster Brake? some of these bikes (since they are entry level) come with either freewheel or Coaster brake... Maybe Coaster until he gets used to the brake levers?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
thanks for the links.... i would consider getting Tyler (my son a race bike) but he is at a learning stage right now.... but he test rode that SE bike and loves it... the only issue i have is Freewheel or not freewheel... u know

he has never used a Handle bar brake yet....

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Get him a freewheel and a proper brake, he'll out grow a coaster quickly, also since there isn't a front brake it's not like he'll be going over the bars

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
i'm going to get him the coaster brake for now... then i will get him a freewheel.... it's a 20" bike... so getting a freewheel wheel won;t be an issue in the near future...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
ordered Tyler the White/Red Tires SE Bronco for 175.00 (pretty excited for the little guy!)

i remember when my mom got my first bike back in the early 80's...

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
This may not apply to your son at all but I bought a 16" dk general lee for my son when he was 5 and he is 6 now. He still has problems with the hand brake... I think I should have gotten a coaster brake for him first on a 16" and then a 20" mini when he is 7 and 8.

But it's all good I have a 4 year old who will move into the general lee in a couple years and I will get a mini for my older son.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . .. He still has problems with the hand brake... . . ..
so what's the issue ? is the brake lever too big for his hand ?

or maybe it's too hard to pull ? (a really good slick teflon lined cable FILLED with Tri-Flow helps a lot for that)

nigeria

Chimp
Dec 4, 2009
New York
man try to give him something not to heavy he's not that strong to deal wit a steel bike.. while he's learnin something durable like the SE pretty cool c ya