Quantcast

BMX race monkeys...

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
don't know how many are out there but I figured since this is a bmx forum...

My local shop wants me to ride bmx this summer for them. I would have access to redline, haro, and se racing bikes. I would probably run stock with a few minor upgrades. What would be your recomendation for a new novice as far as these brands are concerned? Also, what would be a couple basic upgrades I should plan on (best bang for the $)?

peace

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I've been out of the race scene for a while. But, all of those companies put out solid bikes. SE is def the most core... founded by Scott Breithaupt who basically invented BMX racing on the west coast. Redline has been putting out quality BMX racing products for years. And Haro is Haro... big and corporate now, but still rad.

I'd probably go with a SE PK Ripper or a Redline Flight Pro. If you get a high end complete you won't need to upgrade anything to start racing. Just make sure you get some quality 3 piece chromo cranks.

How old are you? Props on starting to race BMX. In my opinion it's one of the best ways to develop skill on a bike.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I haven't hit any bmx tracks since I've been out here. I'd like to sometime... but, I'm usually disappointed when I go to tracks because the jumps are so flat. I don't think WCH and the boys are racing, just practice. Yeah, I hear a lot of guys are racing cruiser on mtbs. I don't think I'll do any racing, though... mostly because there isn't a track real close to Hollywood.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey,
just ride a mountain bike if you have one. But only if it's a hardtail... I ride one at my local track and I do pretty well. It's someting different, and you stick out. Plus, I think its more fun (to me at least). A kid a my track (was #2 at 16 age group in the US in the NBL, a few months ago) is thinking about doing the same with a mountain bike after riding mine. Sooo yea, plus, if your looking for a new bmx... follow what Cru Jones said... go for a redline if your around 5'10".
Happy shredding...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
SE, core? It's just a division of Fuji now! Just get any thing in the $600 range and race it stock. There will be no need to upgrade anything except for vanity

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I raced at Bellflower on Monday. Whew, it was hard! I'm not used to that much sprinting. Going to need to change my training a bit. It was also a ton of fun.

Bummed I didn't get my act together sooner.