Quantcast

BMX stems on MTB

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have been looking into a fresh bar/stem combo. My 2005 Roscoe with 80mm fork has a low front end, so I want something tall.

BMX stems are much nicer for the price, so I looked for a tall 22.2 MTB bar.

I finally settled on a Kink Relief BMX Stem and a 22.2 DMR Wing Bar. The Wing Bar has about 3 in of rise. The Kink Stem is damn sick looking for $40.

I am waiting for delivery. Anyone know of any issues with installing these? I believe the grips and levers should move right over?

And why the hell do the Brits have access to such nice 26" DJ parts?

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
im looking to go the same route on my new to me build. i picked up some nem-pro weezy bars 3.25 and will most likely match them up to a fit dlr stem..i was a big fan of the kink relief stem (i even ordered and returned one). cool looking design and very light but wasnt a fan of the fact that if you needed to tweek your bars or stem you have to loosen both. ive also heard about some slippage issues. maybe vas will chime in on that.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I don't move my bars much, so the Kink should be okay. I heard some people had slips, but with bmx bars. My bars should have a lot less leverage. We'll see how it goes.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
My friend had slippage problems with the Kink stem. It doesn't have as much clamping surface as most other stems out there.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Most BMX stems rock. Cheap, stiff and bombproof.

Been running a pair of cromo Bontragers and an Atomlab stem for years. (22.2 clamp)

Only problem is I sometimes misplace my only set of SAE allen wrenches when it comes time to lube the headset.

:hmm:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Some sweet set ups for sure. I really like the Elemental stems, but I am sticking with the Kink and DMR setup. I will post a pic when it's done.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I have the Kink stem and have been checking it out. Due to the way the stem is made, you have to be sure the two clamping pieces are perfectly even when assembling. If they are off by a millimeter or so, the bars only contact the back of the stem on one corner and will slip.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I bought a relief when it first came out and put it on my eastern, then proceeded to slightly crush an atomlab jesme bar, resulting in me bending it on a crash....
Fine line with too loose or too tight with that stem, but like was mentioned above, if you set it up correclty/carefully, it'll treat you right. I've got another one on my Molly now.

satori

oh hey, anyone know what's the deal with their "Rev2" version of the relief stem? What's different???

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Is it just the narrow clamping area on that stem that can crush bars?
nah, the clamping area isn't that narrow, not anymore so versus any of the other bmx stems I have...
I think it's more due to finer tolerances, and if the bar is just a hair too thin, there won't be any opposing surfaces in the clamp, just a section in the middle, then two outside of that... hard to explain...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I did notice the Kink stem has some powerful clamping force. Bar killer for sure.

I have ordered another set of longer hollow bolts for the stem. The included ones only thread in about 6mm when assembled. Yikes.

Thanks for the pics guys.

I have an idea to fix up the exposed steerer, which I do not like. I will post pics when completed.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I have a brand new Premium Sub 10 that I will sell for cheap...

9.7oz

When I ordered a sh!t ton of gear for my bmx, I accidentally ordered two...:banghead: