Quantcast

Body Armor

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
So, I'm getting back into riding and I need some body armor so I can go to work on mondays with minimal discomfort.

Dainese was the standard when I was riding a while ago, and I was wondering if there were any other cheaper options that were just as effective? I was looking at the 661 pro pressure suit, anyone have any opinions on it?

Also, I used to wear the dainese viking bib pants and they were, well, kind of a mess. Was wondering what you guys would recomend for knee/shin pads that won't move and provide adequate protection.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 3, 2004
San Jose, CA
I love my 611 Kyle Strait knee guards, but if you are more accident prone, Fox Launch Knee/Shin guards work great, give more protection, and don't move around. I don't wear upper body armor so I can't help you there.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Get the Brian Lopes signature TLD pads for knee shin.
I second that. I nabbed a pair of those a few weeks ago and since then have put them to some pretty good use. Aside from them not being that white anymore, I cannot praise them enough!

For trail riding I find that my shadown conspiracy knees work amazingly well. I used to use them for everything (racing, whistler, etc) but after I took quite a bit of skin and some bone chips out from slipping a pedal I have moved to the Lopes TLDs.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'm all about the THE shinguard, that thing is totally immovable, comfortable, and actually ventilates alright.

Dave

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
A lot of what makes armor good is fit. If it doesn't fit it won't be where it needs to be when you hit the ground.

As for jackets:
Dainese is still the best, but also cost the most by a lot.
661 Pro Pressure is solid and usually enough for the weekend rider
Azonic Z6 is good for those on a budget

As for Knees:
I don't like the TLD Lopes (they slide down my leg), but I love the TLD Combat & Shorty.
The Race Face/Roach stuff is probably the most protective, but also the hottest.
The Dainese Knees are probably the lightest, but still good protection.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I like the Rockgardn Flak Jacket (I have the ladies model). It's comfy, fits perfectly, relatively inexpensive and is quite breathable. My husband has the "men's" version as well and has liked it too.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Does anyone know if TLD has a new suit coming out for '08? A buddy of mine (rides moto for TLD) said that they were going to release something thinner then their Descender suit and with something like underarmor in place of mesh.... but then again, the kid is 10 years old.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
Fox lauch knee/shin are the most comfortable combo pad out there. I don't even notice them at the end of day and in two years of riding I have never had them slip out of place.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I just got a 661 pro pressure suit, and although I havent ridden with it yet, I did try it on...and its pretty comfortable with no weird things poking me or itching...and it seems super breathable, as the holes all around it are super big and stretch for a good fit too.

desmo

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I use a 661 pressure suit. it is not hot, and not expensive.

I also have 661 race knee/shins. really good protection, do not slip.

Only bad thing is they are front only, they dont protect the back of your calves from your pedals (if you are a n00b like me, you will need it :)

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I used to ride with my 661 Pressure Suit but all the velcro started to lose its grip and the armour was more just loosely fitted and not doing that much...

I'd probably start wearing it again if the velcro is fixed jsut cause when its flapping around its really annoying.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
If you are going up to sunday river next weekend I can give you a large 661 pressure suit. It's from 2003, and ridden for about half a season. It ain't the best, but It's free.
Hey dude, thank you so much, but I broke down and bought a dainese impact jacket. I know those things work and fit me well. I just don't want to dick around with getting hurt if I can help it.

See you this weekend!