Quantcast

Bootleg Canyon NV

Pullshocks

Chimp
Mar 2, 2005
Had a chance to spend a couple of days riding down there. Temps in the high 50s or low 60s and totally dry. After the rain we have been having up here, I was really psyched, and BC lived up to the hype. The riding area is less than a mile from town, and it is a real MTB playground. All Mountain bike shop has a good rental fleet from XC bikes on up to Specialized Demos, and they were really good to deal with. They have a shuttle going to the top on weekends
I pretty much stuck to trail riding and there was enough trail there to keep me occupied for both days. At the end of the second day I did one pass down the lower part of the Reaper downhill trail. I don't know for sure, but I think it gets its name from a very rough and jagged rock feature in the trail near the bottom that sort of pops out suddenly after a long, swoopy smooth section that had me in the big ring and wailing. It was definitely one of those "Oh ****" moments but I managed to stay upright. It would be an ugly place to crash.
One tip to pass along is that the abrasive dust plays hell with clipless pedals making it hard to get clipped in & out.. Next time I will go with flat pedals.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Snacks said:
Nice write up and thanks for the tip on the pedals:) Heading down in March for our birthdays:cool:
That'll be a great place to hit on my cross-Nevada trip between Norba's 4 & 5....except it'll be in the middle of July :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: I can see the headlines now...."Mountain Biker from WA found dead and shriveled in 135 degree temperatures...." Meh....still might try it....That's why they make 100oz. camel backs....

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Snacks said:
Nice write up and thanks for the tip on the pedals:) Heading down in March for our birthdays:cool:
Bootleg in March and then Sea Otter in April? Man, that's a lot of miles. Or is that a combined trip?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Five said:
Bootleg in March and then Sea Otter in April? Man, that's a lot of miles. Or is that a combined trip?
No, we are bagging out on Sea Otter. Kevin wants more of DH style trip. So we are hitting Bootleg, Moab, and Fruita for our birthdays:)

$25 for a full day of shuttling? How can you go wrong?:cool:

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
I rode Bootleg a couple of years ago during the bike show. Same terrain as Phoenix. If you have a chance to shutttle, it's really fun. It's no harder to ride up than Tiger, Capital Forest, or Green Mountain though. Totally doable.
The XC gets old. There's 3 loops, all about the same. I wouldn't trade it for Lake Sawyer or Banner!