Quantcast

Bootleg Canyon Trip - NOW.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Alright, all this snow is really bringing me over, man. What ever to do, whatever to do? Well... me, MT and most likely the Crusher are packing up the truck for the long haul and getting the heck out of Denver for a few days of riding and whatnot in Boulder City.

It's on, is what I am saying.

If anyone wants to meet us out there for some winter-time shuttle action, dirtjumping, etc. you should do likewise. We're leaving tonight about 10 p.m. and rolling through Fruita for some morning XC before continuing to Bootleg Canyon. Riding Bootleg at LEAST Friday and Saturday and then (most likely) hightailing it back home Sunday. Swentz and company are driving up from SoCal to meet up and it's gonna be fun.

Y'oughtta go, Lane.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
The snow is driving me nuts. We are planning on a trip some time in January to Bootleg.

For now it is time to see if the snow jump I built last night works.

chinkerjuarez

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Englewood, CO
Yeah your telling me I was on my way there last week when I was stuck in DIA. Didn't get to go was flying to vegas and going to boulder city to ride, but never happened.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Here's a little update for you guys:

We got into Boulder Canyon Thursday night, got set up in a hotel and promptly went out and stuffed our faces with some tasty Mexican food and margaritas. Steve Wentz and Jessica Vogt drove up from SoCal to meet us for some riding and they got in about 11:45.

In the a.m. there was some HOWLIN' ass wind so we chilled at the hotel for a bit, then headed up to Bootleg Canyon about 11 or so. Hooked up with Brodie racer and all around nice-fella Jeff Kuhn to start up the shuttling action. Bootleg is rocky, technical, and challenging. Lots of loose corners, pointy rocks, and steep chutes to navigate, and the wind really is a non-factor once you're on the trail. Plenty of runs were had by everyone and we were pretty cooked by about 4 p.m. Basically, we've been riding too damn much to stop and take pictures, so don't even ASK.

It's Sunday morning now, and we're getting ready to head up to the trailhead for round two of stellar riding. Jeff lined up a shuttle for us in the form of his father-in-law so we'll all be able to pound out runs without worrying about driving, which will be pretty dang sweet. Seems like a good 1/4 of the U.S. pro field is up here hanging out and riding, a bunch of guys from the Go-Ride team, some of the Brodie team, Eli, Mean Gene Hamilton... loads of characters getting some winter-time runs in.

I feel bad for everyone stuck back in the 17 feet of snow that is on the ground in Denver, and a little bummed I'll be heading back to it very soon, but at least I got a little reprieve from that madness. I'll be coming back very soon if that weather keeps it up, for sure.

HA-ha!

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Sounds like a good time. I wish I could go out there, this snow is super lame. The plow guy has now plowed me in three times in the past three weeks, its great.

How long does it take to get out to Bootleg? I would love to plan a trip out there for some time in the next couple of months.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
When we were there the temps were in the mid to upper 50's, clear blue skies. Took us 10.5 - 11 hours to drive there. Gotta get back there SOON!

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
When we were there the temps were in the mid to upper 50's, clear blue skies. Took us 10.5 - 11 hours to drive there. Gotta get back there SOON!
I'm so stoked. We are heaed out on Jan 26 and head back on that monday. Do 2 days of riding out there. Can't wait.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I can't believe your all whinning about the snow, you live in colorado, go skiing :lighten: , Its the best conditions we've had in years, I hope it keeps snowing like this all winter.
I've been out snowboarding once this year, and my ankle is still pretty jacked from surgery a little over a year ago. Makes it difficult to get the powder turns in, otherwise I would consider it.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I can't believe your all whinning about the snow, you live in colorado, go skiing :lighten: , Its the best conditions we've had in years, I hope it keeps snowing like this all winter.
Your right, skiing is awesome. Its just not as awesome as racing bikes. How is coaching with Matt and the ski team going Mike?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Yeah its great...until you head up one day and only get in a handful of runs before some punk kid tells you that CDOT is closing 70, so you bust ass to get out of there but its too late and 70's closed and you end up taking highway 9 down to 285 (with everyone else) and you don't get home until 7 hours after you left the resort.

Then, it sucks.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Yeah its great...until you head up one day and only get in a handful of runs before some punk kid tells you that CDOT is closing 70, so you bust ass to get out of there but its too late and 70's closed and you end up taking highway 9 down to 285 (with everyone else) and you don't get home until 7 hours after you left the resort.

Then, it sucks.
oh that was fun. we left at 3 and got home at 9.
Im riding wordward i think sunday at the 7 to 9 session. you all should go.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
No joke. It's winter. Go do what everyone else in CO does. Actually I lied, I'm in Jackson...it's cold, and the snow is so-so...but fun is still to be had! (This is bigger than it looks...like it ALWAYS is)

Bootleg sounded like fun, I'll miss you guys out on course this year! Sounds like you guys will be chargin'!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Screw you guys even more, what with your "snowboarding" and your "skiing" and whatever other little hobbies you guys want to pretend are "fun"... I for one am going to go find dry land with dirt. See you b!tches in February, hopefully Colorado will have thawed a little bit by then.

:D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Then, it sucks.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
It was 72 today in Bootleg. I wish it would cool off a little, I was sweating like mad in my body armor.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Geeeem! I'm headed back to AZ for the month of March... I'll call you when I'm headed that way. I could be talked into some Bootleg madness while I'm down there asswell. Stay cool mang, find yourself a nice swimmin' hole with some bowlegged wimmin or sumpin.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Geeeem! I'm headed back to AZ for the month of March... I'll call you when I'm headed that way. I could be talked into some Bootleg madness while I'm down there asswell. Stay cool mang, find yourself a nice swimmin' hole with some bowlegged wimmin or sumpin.
Funny you should mention swimmin' hole we hiked an hour into a springs last Thursday. The hike in wasn't too bad, hiking back out for an hour uphill at 2:00 in the morning after soaking in the hot springs and drinkin' Tequila was a whole 'nother story. There seems to be a shortage of bowlegged women, bring a few wit' you.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Yo gene, wasup! I assume I will see you at bootleg come FEB 17!!! Lets race! Super excited about the camp too!
Yesum, I be racin'. Spendin' the whole month here putting on camps. The pro/semi-pro camp in March is gonna be great. So far it is you, your brother Eli and Scott Nieson from Jackson, 4 fast guys and probably 3 more. Chris Van Dine just came down for a weekend camp with the Go-ride boys we had a great weekend and they were stoked with how their riding is improving. See you in a week!