Quantcast

Boots

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Not so much...Gore-Tex = waterproof.....this is just one example, but I'm sure a lot/most of their boots are waterproof.

http://www.rei.com/product/796769

EDIT - I just checked no less than 7 pairs of their boots.....all waterproof. Are you new to buying footwear or something? :rofl:
Yes but that means the boots can get wet and heavy, but my feet will be dry. Why would I want that?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yes but that means the boots can get wet and heavy, but my feet will be dry. Why would I want that?
Unless you're getting double plastic boots (plastic outer w/ removable liner), you're never going to find a fully waterproof-outer boot. All leather/suede outer boots will be at most water-resistant.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Unless they have a rubber liner they will not be. Hike in wet spring snow for about 6 hours to test the waterproofness of a boot.

Here's the deal - unless they're rubber or plastic - none of them are.
We've been agreeing too much over the past couple days....it's somewhat unnerving.:fie:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
People who buy gore-tex boots then stand in rivers are like kids who bought Monster Ts, ran smack into a curb, and got a pinchflat which mystified them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
People who buy gore-tex boots then stand in rivers are like kids who bought Monster Ts, ran smack into a curb, and got a pinchflat which mystified them.
Oddly enough, I owned a Monster T, got a pinch flat on a granite stair, and got pissed.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Add Asolo and Merrell to that list.

I have these for winter hiking/mountaineering, very impressed with Asolo stuff based on them.
Merrell's ****ing blow donkey nutz.

Asolo, lowa, vasque, keen, danner, etc. all good suggestions. Asolo's didn't fit my foot quite right, I narrowed it down to the lowa and vasque for my lightweight summer hikers and the vasque felt the best, and was cheaper.

I snow shoe in my merrell's, I always have wet feet. I hate them, but merrell doesn't care, and hasn't cared since 2003 ( I write them annually to complain, they don't even respond, i've called, emailed etc.)

I bought some vasque's for a back packing trip on Isle Royale this spring, average 13 miles per day, all jagged rock, lots of elevation change, lots of mud, etc. My feet did get wet, but the boots were beyond comfortable and held up extraordinarily.

here are pics of my ****ty merrell's, 3 pairs did this, the first I returned to REI, the second I returned to REI but declined to swap them for something different because they didn't have any winter hiker's at the time and I was short on cash for the one pair they did have that was double or triple what I paid for these, so I tried one more pair. again, merrell did not care, REI gave me 20% off on my new boots, and let me keep these peices of ****.

Each pair ripped in the first 2-3 weeks. This pair has been ripped like this for 7 years now, and I still use the boots, but only on snowshoeing days where I need the ankle support, or warm days where wet feet won't kill me and I need the traction that my winter sorel's don't provide.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
oh ok.....
**** kickers- red wings
hiking boots-trying them all on & get what feels best. put a loaded pack on too , maybe if you want to see how they are under a load.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I don't bother with hiking boots for most hiking anymore. I wear trail running shoes or Vibram Five Fingers instead. This includes day hikes, climbing fourteeners, and backpacking. The only time I wear boots is if there's going to be snow or if it's going to be technical (and at that point I wear my mountaineering boots). The rest of the time it's just unnecessary extra weight to be hauling around on your feet.

People talk about the support that hiking boots give you, but I'd rather just have strong feet, ankles and legs.

That said, if you still want boots, go try some on. Pretty much all of the brands mentioned so far make decent boots, and they all fit differently. The fit is much more important than the name.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
oh ok.....
**** kickers- red wings
hiking boots-trying them all on & get what feels best. put a loaded pack on too , maybe if you want to see how they are under a load.
Luckily I work at a camping store so I can try on any pack with sand bags in it to break my boots in. But I am pretty sure my Danner's will kick **** and step on it as well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't bother with hiking boots for most hiking anymore. I wear trail running shoes or Vibram Five Fingers instead. This includes day hikes, climbing fourteeners, and backpacking.
I'll agree that most hiking requires nothing more than a pair of comfy athletic shoes... but if I have more than about 30lbs on my back my feet get DESTROYED unless I have some boots with a significant shank in the sole. I tried the hiking shoes-for-backpacking precisely once and will never do it again.

As always - YMMV.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I don't bother with hiking boots for most hiking anymore. I wear trail running shoes or Vibram Five Fingers instead. This includes day hikes, climbing fourteeners, and backpacking. The only time I wear boots is if there's going to be snow or if it's going to be technical (and at that point I wear my mountaineering boots). The rest of the time it's just unnecessary extra weight to be hauling around on your feet.

People talk about the support that hiking boots give you, but I'd rather just have strong feet, ankles and legs.

That said, if you still want boots, go try some on. Pretty much all of the brands mentioned so far make decent boots, and they all fit differently. The fit is much more important than the name.
I trail run in 5finger shoes.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'll agree that most hiking requires nothing more than a pair of comfy athletic shoes... but if I have more than about 30lbs on my back my feet get DESTROYED unless I have some boots with a significant shank in the sole. I tried the hiking shoes-for-backpacking precisely once and will never do it again.

As always - YMMV.
Agreed, I am a trail running shoe, or straight up running shoe for most hikes, but put some weight on your back and I agree 100%.

I did however hike with 45lbs on my back in a pair of north face flip flops the last day or my trip on Isle royale because I just didn't want to put my feet back in my boots, 8 miles, I survived, but I think I would have felt better with my boots on lol

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Agreed, I am a trail running shoe, or straight up running shoe for most hikes, but put some weight on your back and I agree 100%.

I did however hike with 45lbs on my back in a pair of north face flip flops the last day or my trip on Isle royale because I just didn't want to put my feet back in my boots, 8 miles, I survived, but I think I would have felt better with my boots on lol
Isle Royale is such a fantastic place to backpack...