Quantcast

Bored to death of your local trails?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...I know I am. I can barely get myself up to go and ride them anymore sometimes. I'll go out and hit an 8-10 mile loop, with the intention of doing it a couple times, but after one time around, Im just ready to call it quits. Ive ridden them backward and forward dozens of times.
I guess I need to travel more, or get a road bike.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i have been very bored of my one local trail system so i bought a cyclocross bike. It should be arriving today ill let you know if it cures the boredom.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I can relate...a few ideas:

Is there a place you can build something new or make additions to an existing trail? It's amazing how a few new jumps/berms/reroutes can spice up a whole trail...

Find a new riding partner(s)?

If i'm bored of our local XC trails sometimes I'll ride them on my DH bike trying to ride the downhills as fast as I can, or your can ride a smaller bike on a burly trail, or just pick a section you've riden a bunch and try to ride it again and again until you have it dialed really well...I don't know, I think there is always more to do on a given set of trails.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Road bike helps.
Maintaining/building trails help
Taking time off the bike. I'd rather be skiing right now.
Riding with new people.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Fortunately there are a bunch of trails around here so you don't get bored too easily. There are trail systems like Pima and Dynamite where we have never even scratched the surface riding some of the further outlying sections.

I agree that a road bike will help break the monotony.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Not much going on in the way of trail maintenance this time of year, but I do occasionally get out and lend a hand with that kind of thing. As for new land or new places to build trail, there's really not any of that. I know people with farms and stuff I could lay out new trail on, but they wouldnt really be receptive to letting others ride it most likely.
I'll be glad to move to more of a rural area this spring so I can just ride back roads and fire roads at random. Even though there'll be less actual trail systems, I hope to ride more.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not much going on in the way of trail maintenance this time of year, but I do occasionally get out and lend a hand with that kind of thing. As for new land or new places to build trail, there's really not any of that. I know people with farms and stuff I could lay out new trail on, but they wouldnt really be receptive to letting others ride it most likely.
I'll be glad to move to more of a rural area this spring so I can just ride back roads and fire roads at random. Even though there'll be less actual trail systems, I hope to ride more.
Yeah, I used to know that feeling. When I lived in New Orleans, the only trail system was about a hour away, and my road ride consisted of riding 14 miles on the levee.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The local trails are just a network of crisscrossing trails so I can make quite a few different loops to keep from getting too bored. I road bike in the summer when it is ridicolously hot. or too wet to ride the trails in the winter, dirt night rides in the winter during the week and then a little longer weekend ride. I also run a couple days a week or do intervals on the road bike when time is short or it's cold and/or wet.

Ez-Cruiser

Chimp
Dec 30, 2004
Tennessee
get out there late at night and put some obstacles out there.. few land mines, razor wire, tire spikes.... yeah, that will raise a few brows!