Quantcast

BOS Cartridge?

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
Does anyone know where I could find a "used" BOS fork damping cartridge for either a Boxxer or a 888? BOS is not selling them anymore and I was really hoping to try one in one of my forks. I know they are rare in the US, but I figured a shout out to the RM community was worth a try.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
This is of not much use for the TS but I recently bought a used Boxxer with Bos cartridge in it, so they are out there.

Albion

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
i think the proper question would be with are they extinct?
They don't make them anymore since they are now selling their own Forks.
So they don't want to improve their opponents forks, since they are releasing Idylle, Idylle Pro or N'Dee this winter.

CovicRacing

Monkey
May 3, 2007
Louisville, CO
I know they stopped selling their upgrade cartridges when they started selling their own line of forks earlier this year. Just hoping there was a used one floating around somewhere so I dont have to shell out the big bucks on an Idylle. I knew it was a longshot...

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
Just to let you know - you are not missing out.

I had go-ride install them for a triple-8 - rebound way too slow.

Sent back to go-ride (additional $$) for a 're-tune' - still too slow.

Pretty sure it's not go-rides fault & a bad product, just wish I didn't have to spend the $$

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
I have one for the Boxxer and it is unbelievable with the air side of the stock world cup.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A

Pretty sure it's not go-rides fault & a bad product, just wish I didn't have to spend the $$
From what i'd read on them they where pretty slow but from what i had read they said it was a case of getting accustomed to it and once you where it was better than stock by a long way. So not nesecarily a bad product just maybe not to your liking or you didn't give it enough time.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I am simply not sold on bolt-in kits. We got in one of those kits from Mojo a while back for a boxxer, and it was a terrible experience. It locked out, was far too slow for almost every rider that touched it, and it would fail constantly.

I think properly tuning your fork will help you end up with a superior product to be blunt. the 40 ain't exactly junk, and its got a good range of tunability.

Now if they would just come out with a 40 float.....drool.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i had one of those mojo carts and while it felt pretty nice at the time the lack of oil in the lowers caused big problems with the bushings. Although i think i'm one of the few people who didn't blow up the cartridge. The fact that the bushings kept sinking into the lowers and then the stanchions getting hooked up on them causing lock out, at always the wrong time was a bit of a disaster.

Thats said the 40 essentially has a damping cartridge in the right leg so no reason it can't be replaced by a boss or other make. Lets say a cane creak one as it would make everyone on here soil themselves with excitment. Theres no reason why it shouldn't work and couldn't be an improvement over what is a an already great product. The mojo one was just a disaster as it wasn't being run in a fork designed to work with a cartridge style setup.

Gelbwurstbrot

Monkey
Jul 31, 2004
Franken, Germany
I have a BOS cartridge in my 40 and really like it.
Do not dive as much in Corners and while braking.
Bottom out resistence is much better.
I can run the softer ti spring instead of the steel spring.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

That's interesting - how long ago was it? I heard their first-gen 888 carts (from a couple of years ago) were pretty crap, but I've ridden a Boxxer one and a 40 one and thought they were pretty sick.

I am simply not sold on bolt-in kits. We got in one of those kits from Mojo a while back for a boxxer, and it was a terrible experience. It locked out, was far too slow for almost every rider that touched it, and it would fail constantly.

I think properly tuning your fork will help you end up with a superior product to be blunt. the 40 ain't exactly junk, and its got a good range of tunability.

Now if they would just come out with a 40 float.....drool.
Yeah but Mojo stuff is made by the guy who swears that riders shouldn't be allowed to touch suspension, that bikes should just do everything motorbikes do, and who runs his own gear at full-slow in both directions. I've ridden one of those too and frankly I thought it sucked. Not enough LSC and far too slow with the rebound even at full-fast. The single common-bleed adjuster thing was just a dumb idea too IMO.

However I disagree with what you say about the 40... the rebound is tunable, and the compression is IF you're willing to modify it, but the stock adjusters do next to nothing.

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
However I disagree with what you say about the 40... the rebound is tunable, and the compression is IF you're willing to modify it, but the stock adjusters do next to nothing.
Yes you are right. But on the other hand all the componants (except a shim) are there, are good quality, and no fancy marketing crap, just simple shims.
I don't know why you would spend the $$ on a cart for a 40. It really is easy to drop modify the current cart for maximum performance gain.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I would presume the benefit is that you don't have to deal with reseating/replacing the piddly little bladder all the time when it tears/pops out or whatever. I thought it was a rare thing but I've heard a few people whining about it lately. I'm not sure how the BOS cart goes together (anyone know? IFP / bladder etc?) but I haven't heard of any blown ones yet.

Sidenote - for those guys comparing to mojo, come on, they aren't in the same league... I think the mojo setup is nothing but a downgrade for today's (stock) dampers, with its ingenius two-in-one rebound/compression adjuster. Nice one porter!

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA

Damn, the factory '07 888 rebound is way too slow, can't imagine it being worse. I had to change the oil to 5wt.