Quantcast

Boston for Pattie's Day

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Well I'm on the East Coast for the first time in my life and I figure there isn't really a better place to celebrate being Irish than Boston this weekend. I've got a place to stay and plans to see bits of the city and the parade, but I was hoping for a local's take on the best bars, events, and etc. to attend/go to.

I should be in Friday night, leaving Sunday night and I plan on being intoxicated or on my way there most of the time. Any suggestions on where to start or should I just walk into the first Irish bar I see and order a beer?

The Ito

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i'm sure going to an irish bar in south boston would be interesting...

for extra kicks(literally) you could also wear a yankees hat.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
i'm sure going to an irish bar in south boston would be interesting...

for extra kicks(literally) you could also wear a yankees hat.
Or Man U.

When I win the 250 Mil. lottery, I'm buying season tickets (all 81 games) to the Yankees right behind homeplate. I will then buy every single opposing teams jersey and wear them to every respective game I go to. I will also be training with Chuck Norris so as to dissuade all but the most drunk from messin' wit me.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Oh....and try and stop by the "Black Rose" near Fanieul Hall. Great Irish food and beer, and good live music. Not to mention everyone there sounds like they're right off the freakin' boat from Dublin.

Edit: Yeah....Fanieul...that's what I meant....:redface:

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Oh....and try and stop by the "Black Rose" near Thaniel Hall. Great Irish food and beer, and good live music. Not to mention everyone there sounds like they're right off the freakin' boat from Dublin.
Yeah the Black Rose is your best bet. But make sure you get there EARLY if you're gonna go to any bar in Fanieul Hall Sat night. I'm talkin like 6-6:30. Sh!t is gonna fill up mad quick! As for myself, I'll be at Kennedy's, about a 10 minute walk from there, and not right in the meat of Fanieul Hall so hopefully a little less crowded, but just as rowdy.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Or Man U.

When I win the 250 Mil. lottery, I'm buying season tickets (all 81 games) to the Yankees right behind homeplate. I will then buy every single opposing teams jersey and wear them to every respective game I go to. I will also be training with Chuck Norris so as to dissuade all but the most drunk from messin' wit me.
If you win the 250 million lottery why not just hire chuck Norris to be your personal body guard??

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I haven't been in over 10 years but I used to hit the Green Dragon on a regular basis. Seriously old school with what I considered the best Guiness in town. Regardless, as with most of these celebrations you should expect lots of amateurs...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no sht...i'd stay away from fanieul hall unless you have a predilection towards drunk a$$holes.

there are some good bets in somerville: the druid, the independent, thirsty scholar, and tir na nog (if that's still open). or maybe foleys on albany st in boston. maybe the littlest bar?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
no sht...i'd stay away from fanieul hall unless you have a predilection towards drunk a$$holes.

there are some good bets in somerville: the druid, the independent, thirsty scholar, and tir na nog (if that's still open). or maybe foleys on albany st in boston. maybe the littlest bar?
I take it that Faieul is kind of the main drag for South Boston? I prefer to stay off the beaten track if possible and drunk assholes are never a ton of fun.

Any place named the Green Dragon wins in my boat though, I'll probably be checking that out. Thanks for the names everyone, I'm pretty excited.

The Ito

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yo....i was going to try to write with an irish accent but I'm as irish as I'm black.

The best place to go is definately going to be south boston. It will be crazy, there will be young people and old people, and they'll probably all be drunk. There are something like 20 bars in 2 square miles of southie. If you've seen a movie that took place in boston, it probably took place in south boston. Good guiness can be had at any.

If you're adament about not going to Southie, mission hill has the squeeling pig and flann obriens, two of the best. Neither gets horridly crowded, and both are dark with rare brews (flann's used to have carlsberg [is that the name?]). Avoid fanuiel hall unless you like not hearing anything, bad music, and expensive beer. I don't know who recommended the black rose, but I don't like paying a 5$ cover to pay 5$ for a 12oz bud light, so I really wonder what they were thinking.

Back on point, in southie I recommend shenanigans, boston beer garden, and the playright if you light upscale style bars. The connection is right nearby, and is less expensive but still with a younger crowd, same with the black rose, but the rose is much more irish. The junction is near me in andrew square but it's usually old dudes but really cheap (5$ scotch, 9$ pitchers). The clock tower is really neat and right next to shenanigans, but I got weird looks when I came in with friends. I imagine if you go for a couple drinks and aren't drunk already, you'll be fine. Quiet man, tom english's, h and 8th are supposed to be good, but I've never been. Avoid the B bar, the bar with no name (it's green, don't go in), and the first one on L street...apparently it's a coke bar. Fun can also be had at L street tavern (see good will hunting) and the quencher for towniness.

woody is coming up to stay for the weekend and we're planning a pub crawl for one night and a massive drinkfest for the other. There's a local northeastern bar (punter's) that still does 7$ pitchers. The next night we'll start early downtown and drink our way back over the bridge to the seaport, down L street, and into the heart of southie, where I hope we'll make it to my apartment near andrew. If you'd like to join us, I'd be happy to have you along both nights or either. If you're bringin company, that's cool too. You can hang out at my apartment, but dave will be sleeping on the couch. There's also my girl's place, but I imagine you have arrangements.

Oh yeah, on Sunday is the parade and it goes right by my apartment. I think we'll start at 11am with eggs and blackntans, then drink as we watch people walk by, either from the street (no exposed cans, but drink away) from my living room (cold beer!) or the roof (no railing...). You're welcome to join us then as well.

stinkydawg

Chimp
Oct 10, 2006
Savannah Georgia is the spot for St. Paddy's on the east coast. Was in Dublin Ireland a few years back for Paddy's and alot of the Irish gents kept asking if I had been to Savannah for Paddy's......so if they know about it, then its the spot.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Yeah the Black Rose is your best bet. But make sure you get there EARLY if you're gonna go to any bar in Fanieul Hall Sat night. I'm talkin like 6-6:30. Sh!t is gonna fill up mad quick! As for myself, I'll be at Kennedy's, about a 10 minute walk from there, and not right in the meat of Fanieul Hall so hopefully a little less crowded, but just as rowdy.
You mean 6:30 am?

Last time I went to the Black Rose on St. Patty's day there was a line at 11am and that was during the week. I thought they opened at 8am and fill to capacity within a half hour.

There are so many place in the faneuil hall area. just take a train in and walk around, you're sure to find a good time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Savannah Georgia is the spot for St. Paddy's on the east coast. Was in Dublin Ireland a few years back for Paddy's and alot of the Irish gents kept asking if I had been to Savannah for Paddy's......so if they know about it, then its the spot.
savannah? i spent 15 months in dublin and no one said fvck all about georgia.