Quantcast

Bottlerocket capability question

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
So I know that the bottle rocket is awesome for singletrack, freeride, and still capable to do dj's and other such things, but how is it on downhill things? I am between a dirtbag and a bottlerocket. I will occassionally use it at Diablo freeride park and perhaps a race here and there. Mostly though its single track and back woods freeride type stuff. I think the bottlerocket is a better choice but i didn't know if anyone had any opinions on if it is too little travel for a place like diablo and I should go with the dirtbag.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
it depends what trails you are riding. i really wanted a bottlerocket for awhile, but i looked at the terrain i ride and i wanted something with a little extra squish. i ended up with an sx trail and couldn't be happier, but i wouldn't be too stoked on the sx if i was using it for dirt jumping because it's a long bike (i got a large). if you ride smooth trails then you should go for the bottlerocket, but if you're bombing rock gardens and such you're going to be looking for more travel. the dirtbag isn't any heavier than the bottlerocket, but it does have a higher bb that will result in better clearance over rocks and such, but it won't corner like the br.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
i did a few of the Domination races last year at Diablo and did some free riding there as well, it handled the races just fine, my only complaint was in the long rock gardens it tends to get bogged down a little do to the shorter travel, but as far as freeriding goes it can take anything the mountain offers. the BRocket is a freeride machine, me and the boys have built some pretty sick freeride trails around here and the bike handles everything, i really couldnt be any happier with the performance of this bike, and i use if for everything.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I just got one and plan on using it for down hill and free ride and so far its handled them both. I haven't taken it on any really rocky trails yet though.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I use mine for everything.
Built her up with a longer fork as a short-travel DH, and she works well for racing.

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
So I know that the bottle rocket is awesome for singletrack, freeride, and still capable to do dj's and other such things, but how is it on downhill things? I am between a dirtbag and a bottlerocket. I will occassionally use it at Diablo freeride park and perhaps a race here and there. Mostly though its single track and back woods freeride type stuff. I think the bottlerocket is a better choice but i didn't know if anyone had any opinions on if it is too little travel for a place like diablo and I should go with the dirtbag.

I took my BR to Diablo this past year and had no problems with it. The BR is a good all around bike that can be used for different disciplines. I do everything from XC trail ride to downhill to freeride to DJ with it.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
thanx for the imput. I was concerned cause i have a 7 and 7 now and find myself not needing all the travel, but it helps when i went to diablo. I think in the bottlerocket's case less is more.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i switched from a demo8 to my BR and couldn't be happier. the only place where the BR is lacking is in big rock gardens, the short wheelbase and limited travel keep it from just blowing through the rocks like a full on DH bike. everyone that rides my bikes loves it in the dj's and stunts but i have to admit that the cramped cockpit kind of blows on any type of xc/trail ride type of stuff. i wouldn't really consider it "all mountain" but more of a stunt/light DH specific bike.