Quantcast

Bottlerocket...first impression

Got the pocket rocket built last night and took it out for a spin today. I gotta say so far, believe the hype!!!! The bike takes off when you pedal. It was really surprizing how fast it bolted as soon as you get on the gas. The place I rode only has small drops and really no jumps to speak of so I couldn't tell how it handles that, but it just rails turns. Seems like you can carry a lot more speed thru the corners. The bike also likes to be pumped and worked down the trail. So far after one ride it really seems like it is going to be a fun bike.

Specs are:
Bottlerocket size M, DHX 5.0 coil 600# spring
Fox 36 van rc2
Deemax wheels
SRAM XO
Hayes mags
Deity bars/stem/seat
ODI lock ons

I'll probably upgrade to an E-13 dual chainguide system, saint cranks, and a 500# spring instead of the 600#. I'm 6'1 205 lbs. and the 600# that came with the bike is way too big. I need to get some pics of it so that people won't tell me :picsstfu:

What are some of the rest of you with DHX coil shocks on bottlerockets running for rear spring rates, and what weight are you???

Feb 8, 2007
As of this morning, I'm 180 soaking wet and the 450# feels a little soft to me. I'm still tinkering with DHX settings mind you, but with 1.5 turns of preload, the 450# gives me a tad more sag than I should have. Weird because all spring rate calcs that I've used say I should have a spring weight of 430#. I kinda feel that all of my shock tinkering is futile because my spring weight MAY be incorrect.

Hmmmmm....

gmonkey

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Bothell
Sounds like a great setup you've got. I'm with you that the BR definitely lives up to the hype. I've never had so much fun riding a bike--awesome pedalling, rails turns, fast, air-friendly, and takes hits as well as my DirtBag did. So far I don't miss the extra travel at all. Mine has a Roco but as far as I know, the spring rate should be the same. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs and the 500 spring feels great.

Sounds like a great setup you've got. I'm with you that the BR definitely lives up to the hype. I've never had so much fun riding a bike--awesome pedalling, rails turns, fast, air-friendly, and takes hits as well as my DirtBag did. So far I don't miss the extra travel at all. Mine has a Roco but as far as I know, the spring rate should be the same. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs and the 500 spring feels great.
Did some freeride on it today at lunch and I thought it handled all the drops and jumps better then my sx trail. I'm with you, this bike is so much fun. In comparison the the SX Trail I just came off of the Bottlerocket is more stable, rails turns way better, pedals better(never thought possible), and is more predictable in the air.

Glad to hear the 500 spring works for you because that is what I ordered from fox yesterday.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Sick build. What could be better than this bike ? Blew doors on most bikes I've owned or tried. Truly a fun, tough little Rocket to ride. I wish it were dry enough to ride here.

Jun 11, 2004
Welcome to "the club" Jonny!!

I have a 550 spring on mine.........I'm weighing 210 these days + gear and 550 seems to be spot on for me. I do tend to like it a little stiff in the rear (insert your favorite joke here).

Its a seriously sick arse ride! She climbs great and handles anything I've thrown at her!

The ONLY ONLY complaint I have.........and its only happened twice the whole time I've owned her is: I experienced brake jack twice. Both times it happened I was riding over fast DH type riding with lots of rocks and roots. While braking and descending over "the super tech gnar gnar" I felt like the suspension was inactive for a split second while the brake was engaged. As soon as the brake was released the suspension engaged again.

So that is my one super small complaint.

All in all I'm super stoked to be riding this bike.

I've been riding her a bunch......so she is probably going to get pissed when she starts seeing more garage time......... its almost time to let the Demo 8 out of the stable and start seeing some ACTION!!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Hmmm, interesting. I dont think Ive read about anyone else experiencing brake jack on a BR. Never the less this wont stop me from picking one up.

But in all seriousness, does anyone know how much kidneys are going for these days?

Hmmm, interesting. I dont think Ive read about anyone else experiencing brake jack on a BR. Never the less this wont stop me from picking one up.

But in all seriousness, does anyone know how much kidneys are going for these days?
mattmatt86, just get yourself the BR - you won't be disappointed. I'd try and keep the kidney though :biggrin:

By the way, didn't you got to Costa Rica on spring break? How was that trip? Do you surf? If so, how were the waves?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Nice. Glad you've been enlighten by the BottleRocket.

I did some url hacking and here's what you all want to see :) (less squinting required)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
mattmatt86, just get yourself the BR - you won't be disappointed. I'd try and keep the kidney though :biggrin:

By the way, didn't you got to Costa Rica on spring break? How was that trip? Do you surf? If so, how were the waves?
The Trip was awesome and the waves were epic. I definitely got my Arse handed to me, Im only used to waves in MD and DE. The hardest thing was that the really big swells(7'-10') came in 7-8 wave sets so it was more tiring staying out and picking waves than actually surfing.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
As far as just looks go, it is hard to beat a black frame and DeeMax yellow rims. That is awesome.
The 36 fits in nice w/ that build too.
I'm 175#s on a 550 spring. Works reel good.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am 157 lbs and running a 500 had to bump up the 450 it was a bit light for me last season...i guess it depends on the boost set up and what not...

Mine just arrived in salt lake city i am about put it through 8 days of riding all over Fruita and Moab...i will post a bunch of pics...Love the ride man...

Feb 8, 2007
Hey Mr Nixon, did your shock come like that? Mine (or perhaps yours) is mounted backwards, or as we say here in the South, backerds.

Sweet rocket though. Bienvinidos to the familia. Rip and rip and rip some more.

Dosen't look like a Pocket Bike now. Nice John. The question is will you ever come ride with Dave and I? :bonk:
Yeah CL, the two weekends after Easter which would be April 14,15 and April 21,22 I want to hit some runs with you guys. I'm really itching to get up to Wilsons so let's make some plans.

JVnixon - thanks for the mo better picture

Mattmatt - I know how you feel with the waves. Got my arse handed to me many times in Cali on big days up at Mavericks and Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz.

Hey Mr Nixon, did your shock come like that? Mine (or perhaps yours) is mounted backwards, or as we say here in the South, backerds.

Sweet rocket though. Bienvinidos to the familia. Rip and rip and rip some more.
Yeah, I tooled out for a moment :imstupid: . After I took the shock off to route the lines I put it back on bassackwards (as we say in the dirty south)and then finished building the bike and took the picture. I realized it later and put it back on the right way.

chober

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Pasadena, CA
Hey let that shock break in a little first I swapped springs with mandown my 500 for his 450, and after shock broke in its a little soft, so I dumped more air into the chamber. Anyways don't need DHX anymore just ordered me a double barrel!

Feb 8, 2007
FWIW, I asked the folks at TBC about the shock position and they said that on the small frames, the shock should be rez/rear, otherwise it (the rez) just touches the down tube when suspension compresses all the way. Doesn't apply on med or lg.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Hey let that shock break in a little first I swapped springs with mandown my 500 for his 450, and after shock broke in its a little soft, so I dumped more air into the chamber. Anyways don't need DHX anymore just ordered me a double barrel!
sorry to hear that. the 500 is good for me. hell, the double barrel is gonna be dope!

eball

Chimp
Apr 11, 2007
First Impression:

I just finish building my B.R. and all i can say is that this bike is DOPE, not to mention that the support that I have gotten from Transition alone has made this purchase and the bike well worth it

I rode for the first time this past weekend and again all I can say is that the B.R. is one DOPE ASS RIDE. I have no complaints. Its rails corner, jumps with ease, pedals & Climbs very smoothly and hucks off 5 to 10ft drops like if they were nothing.

Conclusion: It feels and rides like like a DJ bike, but with full suspension.If you want a bike that does it all,,,this is it:monkeydance: