Quantcast

bottlerockteers using air 5.0's and air forks

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i have extensively searched the "my rides part of the transition fam" thread looking for bottlerockets with air shocks and 55 ata, 66 ata, or fox 36 talas forks. kinda curious to see how you guys like that frame/shock/fork combo. thinking about building up a br with all air for usage as a light freeride weapon. i already have a 8 and 8 travel fr/dh bike so this is purely gonna be all around do everything well type bike. i'm sure the frame is more than capable of fulfilling the role.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I ordered my Buttrocket with a DHX5Air. Took it off after two rides, didn't like it at all. Replaced with an Avalanche Woodie.
Am also running a 888 SLATA. It feels good, when it's working and not off the bike for warranty or repairs.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i have extensively searched the "my rides part of the transition fam" thread looking for bottlerockets with air shocks and 55 ata, 66 ata, or fox 36 talas forks. kinda curious to see how you guys like that frame/shock/fork combo. thinking about building up a br with all air for usage as a light freeride weapon. i already have a 8 and 8 travel fr/dh bike so this is purely gonna be all around do everything well type bike. i'm sure the frame is more than capable of fulfilling the role.
you can run it no problem and the geo is great. i liked the one that i rode like that. it was light and flickable.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Mine has dhx air and an old manitou coil fork. It weighs in a little over 38 lbs with single ply tires. Nothing special about the build, it could be a lot lighter with a better selection of parts. The DHX Air seems to work fine for what I use it for, basically a heavy duty trail bike, weekend DH.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bullit21 is running his with marzo air front and rear. i gave it a ride and it works great... when it works. he's had some issues w/ the rear shock not holding air.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
my setup is for a dhx air and a 55 ata or a 36 talas. hope pro II's to mavic 721/9's whatev it is now. x9 shifting, gamut p36/40 guide, sdg i beam carbon seat and post, holtz oct cranks and bb, juicy 7's, diety bar stems. my whole build comes in a 33 lbs. i took sickline's bottlerocket review with their weights all broken down and used their listed weights for my improvements so i'm pretty sure its gonna be very close. to the 33 lb mark.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you have a downhill bike already, why not go with something lighter? I mean the bottlerocket is sweet, but you're going to have to spend a ton in parts to make it light. Sounds like an overbuilt frame for "light freeride". I'm chiming in because I attempted to do the same with a dirtbag (similar weight to br) and it rode well. It was just heavy and now i have an enduro for light freeride and it's 33 lbs stock. So far it's been rad for just about everything, even a couple 10' drops!

El Moco Loco

Chimp
May 14, 2008
My buddy is running Fox 36 talas with a 5.0 Air Shock and he managed to get his BR down to 33lbs. His biggest huck to date has been 18ft and he is a husky dude. He has had no problems and loves his bikes. He does everything from XC to DH to DJ to HUCKING.

Last edited:

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
yea, i have a 7point ih. it weighs in at 45lbs or so. i'm trying to get something like the enduro. everyone at my shop has em. i def want something beefier. figure if i like it enough then i'll sell the iron horse. aside from frame,shock, and guide i have the right parts from my p bike and ih to build up the frame. good way to figure out if i want it. i will be testing then making it lighter.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
the bottlerocket w/ dhx5 air is good. I would insist on upgrading to a lower volume air sleeve, but once done, the bike handles great. It's been to diablo a few times already this year.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
yea, i plan on using it as an all around bike
i want to be able to use it as a dj/am/fr/minor dh bike. it is going to see mostly trail and all around use with trips to diablo and a few other places. i'm trying to make it mostly slopestylish stuff that i do on it.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
check out my thread called "white is the new white" where i detailed my build philosophy. I think you might be interested

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
im running a Fox Talas 36 RC2 on my B.Rocket and the fork is dialed for the bike supper setup, the travel adjusment is a key feature, really lends itself to being an all around do everything bike. and the plushness of the fork is unreal, i have a dhx 5.0 coil in the back so i cant say much about and air rear shock but i dont think you would be dissapointed.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
thanks for that link man, i checked the link. just makes me second quess whati want. my friend has a lyrik and loves it, but i've heard alot of problems with rockshox products. few guys at the shop don't like em at all. i do like the fact taht i could have coil u turn instead of air. prolly still use an air rear shock.