Quantcast

bottom bracket problem

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Bring to your bike shop. If there's enough meat on there they can re-tap them.

Otherwise...bmx frame or hard tail?

if a hardtail get some deep outboard bearing cups like howitzer or diabolus. This would imply you buying new cranks. but those cups have longer than normal thread so it would end up saving your frame.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
Ehhh well. Stock bike? or custom rig?

This happened to me. I was riding my enduro and at the time it was running shimano LX with a damn plastic cup which broke ofcourse and ripped all the threads out. Specialized replaced the frame no problem.

So if its a stock rig, see if you can get a warranty. Otherwise, what I said before. This is just from experience

jellybeans

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
Scotts Mills, Oregon
its a stock frame but i bought it used, its not the threads on the frame that are messed up, at least i don't think so but where the teeth on the park tool go in to take the bb off is all messed up and i can't get the bb out, not sure how clear that is but i tried.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Take it to your LBS. They have ways of getting that stuff out, even if it means breaking out a pair of vicegrips, they usually have the experience to get it done. I know at my LBS (I work there) theres this older mechanic who works there in his freetime (probably around the age of 45-50) and he is the "go-to" guy only because he has had 30+ years wrenching under his belt. He can always figure a way to get something out, etc.