Quantcast

Bought a couple sharks...

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, I've beenall kinds into new hobbies recently and just the other day decided I could use some more pets.

So, I bought a couple Bala Sharks, Colombian Catfish shark thingies and a couple sucker fish to keep the glass clean. Right now I'm keeping them in a 10gal (they're just babies) tank but after I get back from racing Sol Vista I'm upgrading to a new home for them. Any suggestions on the size? Thinking about doing around 100-150 gallons. I've heard some people keep them in as little as 80 but would rather give them some extra room.

Been talking to a lot of people and the sucker fish can reach 18" and the sharks around 16"...also want to get myself a stingray....

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how big do they get?

i just got rid of my 125tall that i used for a reef tank and it was huge. your 5 fish seem small for that big of a tank unless the fish get fairly large.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
All those fish get 12"+. Assuming the "sucker" fish are plecostomus...you should feed them sinking algae wafers as the algae on the glass will not sustain them. Plus assuming its a new tank there is probably no algae, keeping in mind a properly maintained tank doesn't get algae on the glass. Causes of algae are direct sunlight and too many nutrients in the water as a result of poor water quality. Plecos basically eat and sh*t all day, keep up with the partial water changes. 100 gallons plus would be great for them as adults....and leave room for other fish.

The columbian cats are not a true freshwater fish. They do fine as babies but as they grow will need to be acclimated to brackish at least. The adults do best in full saltwater. Not the case for the others.

And lastly, is the tank "cycled"....as in the bacteria cycle?

/used to work at a fish shop

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You'll be lucky if your Bala's get to be 12". I've always found them hard to keep for a long time they do better if you have a sizable school of them say 6+ fish.

The freshwater stingray will eat them.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
You'll be lucky if your Bala's get to be 12". I've always found them hard to keep for a long time they do better if you have a sizable school of them say 6+ fish.

The freshwater stingray will eat them.
EDIT*: i see the Op's location is california, FW rays are illegal to own there.

Agreed on balas doing well in schools. But FW rays aren't going to eat them, they eat small prey such as blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms, and ghost shrimp. But rays can be work for inexperienced keepers...they are expensive (hundreds to thousands), demand excellent water parameters, and often require live food.
Check this thread...
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149245

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
EDIT*: i see the Op's location is california, FW rays are illegal to own there.

Agreed on balas doing well in schools. But FW rays aren't going to eat them, they eat small prey such as blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms, and ghost shrimp. But rays can be work for inexperienced keepers...they are expensive (hundreds to thousands), demand excellent water parameters, and often require live food.
Check this thread...
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149245
Ah, thanks...sounds too expensive for those then! I really don't care if they're illegal but do care about costs :P There are certain "pets" that I will be owning in the future and some of them are really stupid for me to want (including rattlesnakes etc...).