Quantcast

Boulder, CO question's!?

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'll be getting out of the Navy in less than 6 months, and I'm planning on moving from San Diego out to Boulder, with Wikitypooshlag and his gf, sometime around July. We've been lookin at housing on craigslist, and doin searches on google. But I wanna get some opinion's and find out where the good area's are to live and ride. We'll be working together out of our home doing web design/development, and the main reason for us moving there is because of all the great places to go ride downhill at in the summer, and all the great resort's to go snowboardin in the winter, plus the work that we could get out of Denver business's. So any suggestion's, opinion's, .02, or anything about the area about housing, riding, and what ever would be much appreciated!

Patrick

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Id look at houses in close to town but in the mountains. There about half the price for the same house and have closer acess to trails. look maby for a house in sunshine canyon, or four mile canyon.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Living in town is fairly expensive, though compared to cali, you're probably not to worried about that. I live in South Boulder and rent is $1095 for a 3 bed 1.5 bath condo, kitchen, garage, basement......

South Boulder is nice if you're gonna drive to the mountains alot because you don't have to cross town, but is a little ways from any "Legal" bike trails.

North Boulder puts you closer to riding spots, though still a ways, and the community is starting to develop more up there so it's more like living in town, with out the soaring prices, though a little bit more than South Boulder.

And finally, living in the middle of boulder, while pricy, gets you closer to the bars, restaurants, and general Boulder scene, but still a commute to trails.

If you live in a place like Gold Hill, Nederland or some place to that effect, you'll be closer to trails (XC), but there's always the commute to town. Don't know about pricing there.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Stoopid question: why limit yourself to Boulder? If you're a web jockey, then telecommuting should be right up your alley. If that's true, then geography is not a real issue which opens up doors for home base locations. Salida is a very sleepy little town w/ great skiiing and biking possibilities. It's also VERY affordable place to live. I used to live in Steamboat (which is another options) and it too is wicked fun w/ trails for both skiing and biking (bike - mainly XC and trail, not DH). It's still cheaper than living in Boulder proper. Just my $0.02...

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hey all, thanx very much for your help, .02, opinion's and suggestion's. I actually wasn't the one who chose Boulder, my biz and riding partner is the one who chose it. He asked me where I would rather go, Henderson, NV or Boulder, CO. So I looked at CO in Mapquest and realized all the great riding in the state, checked housing in and outside of Boulder, and knowing that Denver would provide ample work, I agreed on Boulder. Plus, I guess him or his gf has friend's there already.

Yeah we're not too worried about the prices of living in town, we're going from house's where we pay $2000/mo, with a couple roommates. So for three of us to pay $1,095 or even 1,300/mo, is totally do able.
We ride mainly DH/FR, though I'm the only one who races, and I also dirt jump, ride urban, xc, 4X, and I ride/race BMX.

Yeah Wikitypooshlag and I will definately have to get with you guy's and go riding, once we get out there. Actually, I'm thinkin about going out there in advance to check out the city and do some house shopping and get a feel for the area. So maybe, I can get my partner to go with me when I go to the NORBA race in Snowmass, and we'll just drive up to Boulder after the weekend of racing. Hopefully we can get with one of you, and possibly have you show us around the different part's of town.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
hmmm... well, we aren' 100% moving too Boulder, so we'll keep these suggestion's in mind. But for the sake of it, where is Golden, Lakewood and Morrison in relation to Boulder?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Alex966 said:
hmmm... well, we aren' 100% moving too Boulder, so we'll keep these suggestion's in mind. But for the sake of it, where is Golden, Lakewood and Morrison in relation to Boulder?
All are due south about 30-45 minutes and due west of Denver about 15-20 minutes.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well, our move to Boulder isn't just for the riding and snowboarding, those are just two major point that we've been considering during our decision to move away from San Diego. As it stands right now, we have a lot of great riding around us, we even have an epic trail named Noble Canyon, it was claimed an "epic" by IMBA. As well as alll sort's of DH and XC trails, but it's just to expensive and crowded here. So we just felt a need to move away from the population and go somewhere a little less crowded, yet yielded a lot of great riding half the year and good snow for the other part of the year, as well as offering lot's of oppurtunities for work as we'll be working for ourselves out of our house that we move into. Plus the area has to have a decent amount to offer, such as other mediums of entertainment, resources, and just everything you'd want, to live comfortably.

The big thing is that we're mountainbikers, snowboarders and web/graphic designers. That's what we love to do, so we want to do all that in a place where we'd be comfortable and not have to worry about rediculous traffic, soaring rent payments, breathing in heavy smog everyday, and the rest of the wondeful things you deal with when living in Southern California/San Diego. Another thing is it will put me in a more central location to my family, as I have family in NorCal,Texas, Florida and up along the east coast.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Boulder is definitely the wrong choice for access to DH, boarding, or even XC for that matter. You should be looking at Golden, instead. Or even west Lakewood.
hee hee hee.... I'll second that. Boulder and Boulder County are expensive. Forget the 'mountains near Boulder'.... more expensive than living on the ocean at San Diego.

If you want to ride, please remove yourself from the Boulder government. They believe in no mechanical devices on any trail. Take up residence in Jefferson county (littleton, lakewood, Golden, etc). If you hate the suburbs, then go to Golden; Golden can be a tad pricey. Golden has 6 parks that allow over 50 miles of single track (on the mountians). Boulder? haa haa haa.... all them losers come down to Jefferson county.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Ascentrek said:
hee hee hee.... I'll second that. Boulder and Boulder County are expensive. Forget the 'mountains near Boulder'.... more expensive than living on the ocean at San Diego.

If you want to ride, please remove yourself from the Boulder government. They believe in no mechanical devices on any trail. Take up residence in Jefferson county (littleton, lakewood, Golden, etc). If you hate the suburbs, then go to Golden; Golden can be a tad pricey. Golden has 6 parks that allow over 50 miles of single track (on the mountians). Boulder? haa haa haa.... all them losers come down to Jefferson county.
Hey Ascentrek, I need to get together w/ you about some school/work questions. Are you around on Tuesday? I've got a sh!t ton of homework, but maybe after you get off work if you're not traveling...? LMK

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Alex966 said:
As well as alll sort's of DH and XC trails, but it's just to expensive and crowded here.
Don't come here. Go to the western slope. (Grand Junction). It is very crowded here.

Alex966 said:
So we just felt a need to move away from the population and go somewhere a little less crowded, yet yielded a lot of great riding half the year and good snow for the other part of the year, as well as offering lot's of oppurtunities for work as we'll be working for ourselves out of our house that we move into. Plus the area has to have a decent amount to offer, such as other mediums of entertainment, resources, and just everything you'd want, to live comfortably.
Move to the Denver area. Most of you more progressive web design places are in Downtown Denver. If you need a job, I know the president of a local company.

Alex966 said:
The big thing is that we're mountainbikers, snowboarders and web/graphic designers.
Move to Golden (or surrounding area). (40 minutes from the nearest Ski area, 0-5 minutes to mtn biking, and 20 minutes to Denver.

Boulder = 1.5 hours to skiing (besides Eldora), 30 minutes to good mtn biking (Golden), and traffic hell (this is the worst area in Colorado).

Alex966 said:
That's what we love to do, so we want to do all that in a place where we'd be comfortable and not have to worry about rediculous traffic, soaring rent payments, breathing in heavy smog everyday...
Then absolutely don't go to boulder. BTW, Boulder sits in a valley. All the stank from Greely (cattle) and Longmont (Chicken), and all the dog poop within boulder makes for a horrible oder (if you live there, you can't smell it). Boulder has the worse air in the front range (because of all the anti traffic dil-holes). Horrible traffic, you can't get through that town at all! They always vote against improvement. That place NEEDS a super highway through town, and they refuse. Boulder is no small place at 150k. THE HIGHEST cost of living is IN boulder.

Alex966 said:
and the rest of the wondeful things you deal with when living in Southern California/San Diego.
HAA HAA HAa.... you'll probably recognize the same people you know in San Diego in Boulder.

Alex966 said:
Another thing is it will put me in a more central location to my family, as I have family in NorCal,Texas, Florida and up along the east coast.
There's new realestate near the airport.

Why do people believe that Boulder is such a great place to live? Is it the corrupted University?, pathetic Football program? Lack of Mtn Biking? Pathetic Traffic? Supreme liberal land? What Gives? This place sucks for nightlife (unless you're 18).

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:
Hey Ascentrek, I need to get together w/ you about some school/work questions. Are you around on Tuesday? I've got a sh!t ton of homework, but maybe after you get off work if you're not traveling...? LMK
I'm around Tuesday. Gotta head up to Longmont (day trip only) Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I will be here Tuesday. You live in Golden, Right? Just come up to the house. I'll PM you with some details.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:

oh yeah, beer is in the fridge and cold.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Alex966 said:
Well, our move to Boulder isn't just for the riding and snowboarding, those are just two major point that we've been considering during our decision to move away from San Diego. As it stands right now, we have a lot of great riding around us, we even have an epic trail named Noble Canyon, it was claimed an "epic" by IMBA. As well as alll sort's of DH and XC trails, but it's just to expensive and crowded here. So we just felt a need to move away from the population and go somewhere a little less crowded, yet yielded a lot of great riding half the year and good snow for the other part of the year, as well as offering lot's of oppurtunities for work as we'll be working for ourselves out of our house that we move into. Plus the area has to have a decent amount to offer, such as other mediums of entertainment, resources, and just everything you'd want, to live comfortably.

The big thing is that we're mountainbikers, snowboarders and web/graphic designers. That's what we love to do, so we want to do all that in a place where we'd be comfortable and not have to worry about rediculous traffic, soaring rent payments, breathing in heavy smog everyday, and the rest of the wondeful things you deal with when living in Southern California/San Diego. Another thing is it will put me in a more central location to my family, as I have family in NorCal,Texas, Florida and up along the east coast.
Just so you know, Boulder/the Front Range has all of those characteristics you mentioned (people like you moving here from out of state certainly don't help the situation!:)) Colorado is quickly becoming the next California. But seriously, stay away from Boulder. There are many better choices in the area.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Ascentrek said:
Don't come here. Go to the western slope. (Grand Junction). It is very crowded here.
Ascentrek said:
Horrible traffic, you can't get through that town at all! They always vote against improvement. That place NEEDS a super highway through town, and they refuse. Boulder is no small place at 150k. THE HIGHEST cost of living is IN boulder.
Crowded? You call 150k, crowded and no small place? If I do end up movin' to Boulder, it will be the 4th smallest city I have lived in. San Diego City is a damn country compared to Boulder, with a population of over 3 million. Half my life I've lived in cities with population's 300k and higher. And the traffic, well with roughly 6 million people in the immediate san diego area, 4 major 8-10 lane freeway's still end up stopped bumper to bumper, so say roughly 250k people in the boulder area isn't as bad, though I'm sure the highways aren't nearly as developed as the socal freeways. Which would mean quite a bit of ****ty traffic on a 4 or 6 lane highway.

Ascentrek said:
Move to the Denver area. Most of you more progressive web design places are in Downtown Denver. If you need a job, I know the president of a local company.
Hmmm...my buddy and I are plannin on doing our own business, but I have been pondering the idea of taking up a part time job until we get off our feet. So I might have to take you up on the offer! Thanx!

Ascentrek said:
Move to Golden (or surrounding area). (40 minutes from the nearest Ski area, 0-5 minutes to mtn biking, and 20 minutes to Denver.

Boulder = 1.5 hours to skiing (besides Eldora), 30 minutes to good mtn biking (Golden), and traffic hell (this is the worst area in Colorado).
Very, very good point and useful information, I am definately considering Golden, I'm gonna talk to my buddy about it.

Ascentrek said:
Then absolutely don't go to boulder. BTW, Boulder sits in a valley. All the stank from Greely (cattle) and Longmont (Chicken), and all the dog poop within boulder makes for a horrible oder (if you live there, you can't smell it). Boulder has the worse air in the front range (because of all the anti traffic dil-holes).
Hmmm... going from some very thick, nasty smog to farm animal oder, seems like a fair trade! lol No thank you, I don't like the fact that I'm killin myself slowly by breathing in the San Diego air, nor do I like the thought of smellin' cow, chicken, and dog **** all day and every morning.

Scoreboard
Boulder= -2(the smog and the traffic are really bad points in my mind!)
Golden= 3

Ascentrek said:
Why do people believe that Boulder is such a great place to live? Is it the corrupted University?, pathetic Football program? Lack of Mtn Biking? Pathetic Traffic? Supreme liberal land? What Gives? This place sucks for nightlife (unless you're 18).
Well, I honestly never knew that much about Boulder. All I knew is that it exists, it's in Colorado, umm... I was told that there was supposed to be some really good mtn biking, but I guess that was compleletly incorrect. Hmm... I also knew that it was near Denver, and it's about $800-1000 cheaper a month to rent a 3bdrm house there, than in San Diego. We're both gonna be 25 when we make the move, and we're not much into the nightlife anymore. Well except his gf, but she just turned 22. We just like to drink beer! :) We usually do that while workin on a web site or wrenchin' on our bikes.

So,
Boulder= -2
Goldern= 4

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be movin to Boulder. But either way, I was already plannin on visiting the area the week after the Snowmass National, to kinda do some house shoppin' and get to know the area. Looks like I'll be visiting Golden and the surrounding area.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Alex966 said:
Crowded? You call 150k, crowded and no small place? If I do end up movin' to Boulder, it will be the 4th smallest city I have lived in. San Diego City is a damn country compared to Boulder, with a population of over 3 million. Half my life I've lived in cities with population's 300k and higher. And the traffic, well with roughly 6 million people in the immediate san diego area, 4 major 8-10 lane freeway's still end up stopped bumper to bumper, so say roughly 250k people in the boulder area isn't as bad, though I'm sure the highways aren't nearly as developed as the socal freeways. Which would mean quite a bit of ****ty traffic on a 4 or 6 lane highway.
Boulder proper doesn't have anywhere near 150k people. I think the population is right at 100k. But the population density of Boulder is pretty high for Colorado so it might sometimes feel larger than that.

The Denver metro area has about 2.4 million people. And Boulder is alot closer to Denver than you'd think...

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm... babes in Boulder huh! That sounds very tempting! Regardless, my buddy and I are gonna scout out the Denver area and look at places around there, both Boulder and Golden as well. So we'll see.

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
That's actually pretty ****ing funny! I don't know how you're able to edit my reply, funny **** though. Keep on posting, you'll achieve turbobutthole status soon!

the riding around boulder isn't that bad, just got to know where the trails are.......the chix are pritty, but fake and stuck up (rich). rent is high, bla bla bla, all in all its a collage town in the great ol USA. Really good weed though, way better than the mexi down in so cal.........