Quantcast

boxguide with a bashgaurd?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
can you still runa bashgaurd with a boxguide? i dont wana run a bare chain because the dh i race on is pretty rocky.

thanks

ps, if not, anybody wanna sell me a chainguide? lol

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
you can usually find an srs for pretty cheap used!
I would go that route...

Don't know about the box guide.

b

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I ran a boxguide and a bashguard, It didn't fit well, so I took apart the upper guide. The outside piece comes off, and you can run the guide/bash guard with no problems.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the older ones are metal and the newer ones plastic. get the plastic ones. the metal ones look really funky.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
scurban said:
I ran a boxguide and a bashguard, It didn't fit well, so I took apart the upper guide. The outside piece comes off, and you can run the guide/bash guard with no problems.
I did that for a while on my p.2, worked great.
Nathan

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
you can unscrew the end of the boxguide and then but an e-13 supercharger bashguard on and it fits. I have a used clear bashguard from when i did this but i lost my boxguide peice at exit 38 (local spot) and i have no use for it.
if your interested

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
SteezyWeezy said:
nathan, is THC the only place to get goldtooth bashgaurds? i just bought an e13 srs, and th gold bashgaurds are money
You can get them at THC, Santiam or Ride-This. THC has their own custom guards along with Santiam.

Why is it stupid to run an different basher than the e.13 with their chain guide? For a 38t basher comparison, ours is 132 grams while the e.13 is around 208grams so there is a wieght savings. Also, help support the small local company who rides and builds on the same trails as you.
Nathan

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
yes some may find it silly to sell a perfectly good basher and buy a new one but if he wants he can get one made with his bike shop logo on there or something else custom and support a local company.
composite basher's do have their place and we have something new coming up in the next few months that should satisfy people wanting a plastic basher. it just has a few twists :)
nathan

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
damn, wouldnt have thought that would be lighter, i might check those out, i saw one at the state games up at skibowl last weekend, i think it was on the THC rental 7.3, it was tight, when are you guys doing custom colors?

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
SteezyWeezy said:
damn, wouldnt have thought that would be lighter, i might check those out, i saw one at the state games up at skibowl last weekend, i think it was on the THC rental 7.3, it was tight, when are you guys doing custom colors?
yeah, tim has a 42t red one. those wiegh in at 153 grams. patrick funk is also running a 38t on his sunday.
we can do custom colors now, just need to update the website. i am basically out of gold 38t but have some black and i think thc may have some. ride-this has some cool orange ones in stock.
http://www.ride-this.com/search.php?search=key&value=goldtooth&Dr-PHP=250ec6f6c9b3f2cf2993a29201e7d279
nathan

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
standard colors (gold, black, and red) are $35 from us or thc and custom colors and or engravings are $45. i am working on white now but it is not a common anodize so i am looking into other options.
nathan

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Transcend said:
Simply because the e13 one is included in the package, and the composite bashguard offers various advantages that metal guards cannot.
To elaborate a on Fraser's comments a little bit:

The diameter of bashguard is critical to proper chain retention on an SRS. There is supposed to be a certain amount of overlap between the Supercharger bashugard and upper slider. It is this overlap with the upper slider that enables chain retention. If you do not have that overlap you'll have big problems. This is a big reason (one of many) not to run another company's bashguard with an SRS.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
RD said:
To elaborate a on Fraser's comments a little bit:

The diameter of bashguard is critical to proper chain retention on an SRS. There is supposed to be a certain amount of overlap between the Supercharger bashugard and upper slider. It is this overlap with the upper slider that enables chain retention. If you do not have that overlap you'll have big problems. This is a big reason (one of many) not to run another company's bashguard with an SRS.
i agree. patrick is running an srs with the 38t basher and after he adjusted the slider, i don't think he has had any problems droping chains.
nathan

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
yeah, i will get the email.
he had dropped a chain a few times then told me he adjusted the slider and now no more problems but i did not talk with him after the last race. if there is a concern , you could always step up to the 42t version. the 38t is 168mm and the 42t is 185mm diameter.