Quantcast

Boxxer Flat Crown?

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Hey, does anyone have, or know where I can get a Boxxer Flat crown for cheap. I just picked up a Boxxer, and my bike was already raked out with 7inches of travel. I want to retain some degree of climbability (is that a word? :confused: ) If you have a flat crown lying around and wanna give it to me or sell it, let me know. Also, point out any link to places that have them. I already checked jensonusa.com and adrenalinebikes.com.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Well you say you want a flat crown then you say drop crown? Your LBS can order the flat crown for you and it would probably be cheaper than buying online.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
A flat boxxer top crown should not change the axle to crown length. It can provide a theoretical stiffnesss advantage due to the clamp points being further apart, and they look beter IMO, but that is about it. If you had a 170mmm OEM drop off, it was 554 mm A - C and the boxxer is 568 mm A -C at the minimum.

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
Maybe someone should start a thread to edu-macate the masses on top crowns. Obviously its not as bad here as, say, pinkbike but it seems like everyday I see a thread where someone wants to lower their front end with a flat crown. Flat crowns and drop crowns have the same stack height. On some bikes with short head tubes you might gain some turning radius if your drop crown is contacting the frame but your a-c will stay the same in most cases. The stiffness and weight advantage is negligible. Different rise top crowns only exist to accomodate different size bikes and setups. :cheers:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Maybe someone should start a thread to edu-macate the masses on top crowns. Obviously its not as bad here as, say, pinkbike but it seems like everyday I see a thread where someone wants to lower their front end with a flat crown. Flat crowns and drop crowns have the same stack height. On some bikes with short head tubes you might gain some turning radius if your drop crown is contacting the frame but your a-c will stay the same in most cases. The stiffness and weight advantage is negligible. Different rise top crowns only exist to accomodate different size bikes and setups. :cheers:
I agree with you. But, it is possible that the flat crown would fit his bike better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The new boxxer drop crowns are great. Tonnes more clearance on most frames, I know on my bighit there is still 1.5cm to go after the bumpers are fully compressed.

So i'd say you're just thinking of the old pre 05 crowns.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I notice I can't rum my drop crown without some spacer, because of the thick FUNN 1 1/8 headset that sticks to the sides. Do you guys think a flat crown will be OK? Anyone running these two combined? I don't want to end up with an expensive and useless flat crown lying around.