Quantcast

Boxxer help

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I am in the process of doing the romic fix to my boxxer. Everthing went fine up to a point. took everthing apart no problem and drilled the comp. cart., and put everthing back to gether. The problem is, when I put the fork back together and was moving the stancion up and down. When I pushed down it felt like the leg bound up slightly on the last inch. Once I put some oil in the leg it got worse instead of better. I took the fork back apart twice and still had the same problem. The fork will compress all the way it just feels harder on the last inch. Anyone else seen this.
Thanks for the help

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
The only time that I have ever seen something like that happen is when there is something on the bottom of the lowers that is twisted or just in the wrong place. Sometimes all that little stuff on the bottom of the fork moves when everything else is pulled out. I would just take it apart again and look into the bottom of the stantions. Hope this helps, but I have had this happen to my fork.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I looked in there when I took it back apart. Checked the bushings and the looked fine. Could not see anything esle in there. The damper shaft slid freely when I had it apart. It would only feel like it was binding up after i got it in the outer leg and tightened down

Shanks

Chimp
Jan 3, 2004
Ontario, Canada
If it gets stiff (hard to push) the last inch of travel while unsprung or un-dampened (no oil) its perfectly normal. Its just the normal imperfections in the casting alignment.

Just continue to rebuild it:

For the compression side use 15Wt oil, to a height of 140mm (Stantion compressed) Rebound 5WT to a height of appx 100mm.

If you have the rebound side apart you might aswell change the bottom out bumper too somthing thinner and harder like one from a judy or psylo. If you have a 2003 buy the 2004 base plate kit, If your too cheap, take the white spring seat, plug the top with a bolt and slot the bottom of it about 8mm wide and half way up.

Theres sooooooooooo many things you can do to that f*cking fork its unreal. But untill the day where people stop paying me to make them work properly I'm only sharing the most knowen ones.

DoubleDown

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
The fork actually works better with 10 weight in the compression side and 2.5 wt (if you can find it) in the rebound side.

The oil height should be set at 115mm from the top with the leg fully compressed and no spring.

This info straight from the Rock Shox tech at Sea Otter.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Shanks- Thanks for the info. I was wondering if something wasnt alined right. I have the stuff to do the rebound upgrade. I was going to do it yesterday but after the problem with the comp. side I decided to wait until I get that straight.