Quantcast

boxxer race or team? converting to WC?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
what will be better?
converting a boxxer team? or a boxxer race into a WC ?
thinking of buying a boxxer team/race and installing a air cartridge in it. (probably will be chipper than buying a WC)

are the team and race are the same in the r side?

thanks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Just to add..the parts to convert to air are pretty hard to come buy these days. I am pretty sure RS figured out that people were converting teams to WC and saving a couple of hundred $$s, and decided severely limit the availability of. I check BTI and QBP on a regular bassis and they have not had the all the parts needed in the last year or so......

see her....the ONLY air spring not in stock...Boxxer w/c
http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/FK/FKSP/RS/RS1155?page=1#RS1155

Or here, the ONLY top cap that is not in stock....Boxxer w/c again
air caps:
http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/FK/FKSP/RS/RS829?page=2#RS829

I certainly would not count on the ability to get all the parts needed without a LOT of searching, and waiting....

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
I just converted my boxxer team into a WC last night. You don't need to replace the left stanchion. They claim it reduces stiction, but its a lie, mine feels great. I ordered directly from sram and they had plenty of the air top caps and air spring assemblies in stock. Just go though your lbs.

Good luck!

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
I just converted my boxxer team into a WC last night. You don't need to replace the left stanchion. They claim it reduces stiction, but its a lie, mine feels great. I ordered directly from sram and they had plenty of the air top caps and air spring assemblies in stock. Just go though your lbs.

Good luck!
I kinda remember reading the air stanchion was polished or something. If it was new, yea no problem I guess. If it's used and you do the ghetto upgrade, I'd be afraid of small scratches from spring contact in the past. Might loose some air pressure under use. Would prob. hold air no problem just sitting there, but wait till you pound her.

I would think it would be better to buy a used WC since the new one is coming out.
I'm with CBJ. Just buy a used WC and be done with it. Or a new Dorado :brows:

Last edited:

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
if you're afraid of scratches caused by the coil spring just switch stancions and use the right one for the solo air and the left one for the damping. the rebound dapmper should be able to put up with some minor scratches.

but i speak of experience when i say that there will most probably be no problems with air loss at all.
i'm running a converted 2006 race for a whole season now and it's all good from the beginning until now. no air loss and no other problems. even though i ran the fork coil sprung for a whole season before the conversion.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Im coverting my airs to teams.
They just arent reliable under hard use.
plus the teams are easier to service on the road.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Loads of people convert to Teams from WCs for more reliability. I went the other way, much better, i dont mind stripping them every other week either. And plenty of parts about from people converting to teams.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
the extra maintenance I've had to endure with the WC over the Team has been 6ml of Float fluid in the air chamber about every 6 weeks.

somehow I manage to stuggle through it.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
LOL like all the last 4 or 5 people said why convert to WC.. team is a great fork, you wont go any faster or do any better with a WC..

Your most likely making it worse for yourself with reliability issues.. Save the money and buy a team.. There is recession at the moment as well..so that extra cash may come in handy