Quantcast

Boxxer Team - removing top cap

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Hi all,
I have a new 2008 Boxxer Team and I wanted to adjust preload. I've removed the top cap off the non-damping leg easy. Now I was able to unscrew the damping leg and it did unscrew to a certain point (seems almost out) but now it unscrews indefinitely and doesn't come out. I've tried gently prying it, tried compressing the fork, loosening the crown pinch bolt - nada. I'm afraid of applying too much force for fear something is still screwed in there.

Any advice on what could be wrong? Do I need to unscrew anything on the damping dials?

Thanks!!

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
You need only remove the spring side cap to change preload. You should have gotten some plastic shims with the fork.

But never mind, if you wish to remove the motion control you just have to pull it out.
If you have unscrewed it so that it just sits and rotates you have loosened it from the inner stanchion and a good tug is required.

Take care and wrap a rag around the top of the stanchion, there will be some oil coming out with the motion control. You can rotate it slightly whilst pulling it out to make things easier but try not to fry the o-rings with the stanchion threads.

xxFRESHxx

Chimp
Jun 21, 2008
Germany, BY
pulling it out is pretty hard and not really necessary.
easiest way to remove the motion control unit is to turn the low speed compression (blue knob) to the max and just compress the fork. the oil is pushing it out then because it can't go though the unit when the compression is closed. pulling is only needed for like the last inch but it's easy then.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Wiggle it side to side lightly and it will pop out.

There is no need to take the right side apart inless you want to change the oil. You don't even have to touch that part of the fork to change the lubrication oil.

amirh1

Chimp
Jan 3, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks guys, this is great advice!!

I just want to make sure, because someone mentioned 'spring side': this is the Team fork, so I assume both sides have springs. That's why I've assumed I need to take out spacers from both sides. If this is not true then I will just close the compression cap back and not open it again, I just want to make sure there isn't any spacer there 'cause currently I'm getting a little less sag than what I want (but not enough to warrant a spring change).