Quantcast

Boxxer Team vs. Slider plus

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I am looking to get a new fork for my Ironhorse SGS pro because my 03 boxxer race is bent and I don't believe it is that worth fixxing. I am looking at the 05 slider plus and the 05 boxxer team. The travel difference isnt to much of an issue. I am leery of the boxxer because as I said I bent one and did not like rs's customer service, but other than that i like the fork. 8 ins could be nice also. The slider seems nice because I have a friend with the older 6in ones and the thing is sooooo smooth and it seems plenty strong enough. I dont know if they make big enough drop crowns for my bike though. I know people have not been able to fit these forks on some bigger bikes. I am mostly a racer, but dont mind doing some freeride and stuff. Or maybe I should fix my boxxer race and wait longer? what do you guys think?

J

James

Don't know much about the Boxxer but whatever you do stay far, far away from the Slider +, especially if you are racing. Our team tried a few out at the begining of the year and after the first race we were screaming for Dorado's. As far as race tunning goes, we weren't able to get the fork to soak up little, high speed bumps. Even with manitou help would couldn't get them dialed in. It was okay for slow big stuff but it was junk as far as dampening at speed. The fork felt okay and was light at idle but did nothing while riding. This is just our opinion but I'd think that you 'd have better luck with the Boxxer.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
James said:
Don't know much about the Boxxer but whatever you do stay far, far away from the Slider +, especially if you are racing. Our team tried a few out at the begining of the year and after the first race we were screaming for Dorado's. As far as race tunning goes, we weren't able to get the fork to soak up little, high speed bumps. Even with manitou help would couldn't get them dialed in. It was okay for slow big stuff but it was junk as far as dampening at speed. The fork felt okay and was light at idle but did nothing while riding. This is just our opinion but I'd think that you 'd have better luck with the Boxxer.
Exactly what I hate about my Slider+, it feels great on technical stuff and even through large things going fairly fast, however once you get onto fast fireroads or singletrack that is uneven (like on a ski run part of a race course) then it doesn't soak anything up and will give you the WORST arm pump ever.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you could always look into getting the TCP+ installed in the fork. then your small bump woes will end. i have a stance kingpin (worked out the small problems) and the fork just makes the small bump disapear. btw in the passed i have used boxxers and the slider+ is a far better fork (just look into getting tpc+ installed)

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
A lot of people have been mantioning this TPC conversion for the slider +; when I called manitou they told me this conversion drops the travel down to 6".

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I looked into the TPC+ conversion and the reason I heard it doesn't work is that the diameter of the cartridges aren't the same. However, I've been riding a Slider + as a race fork since last fall and compared to the Shiver I had it is a way better race fork. Versus the Shiver its lighter, lower, and way stiffer. However even with Evolve and lighter than stock oil its high speed small bump performance will destroy your hands after a weekend. For slow techincal riding with big hits the fork is a masterpiece. Of course most race courses aren't like that. I moving to a Dorado and I'm super stoked.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I just replaced my 04 slider plus with an 05 boxxer team. The team is a much nicer fork, much more plush. The slider was pretty harsh at times and did cause some arm fatigue. I love the boxxer and would recommend it over the slider any day.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Is the only difference from the race to team is the adjustments? If so I probly wouldnt do to much with them. I might just fix my race. I mean I work at a shop I am sure the lowers are much cheaper. But my fork is in 6 inches, I dont have any extra parts as I bought the fork used.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
STEER CLEAR of sliders......I had one last year, thing sat either at the top or bottom of the travel, no in between. I would definately recommend sticking with the boxxer.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Boxxers are very tunable forks, and relatively cheap too. You can set them up to feel pretty much however you want them to. Out of the box they often feel pretty crap, but once you get spring weights, oil weights/heights and adjustments dialled they're sweet as.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Since your first Boxxer failed you, I don't know if I would be too quick to get another one. As for the Manitou, haven't too many good things about the Slider. Speaking from experience, I've bad luck both Manitou and Rock Shox's products. I would spend a little extra money, and get a 888, that would be a no regret purchase...