Quantcast

Boxxer top crown keeps coming loose

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I love this darn fork, but the top crown keeps coming loose every couple days of resort riding. I replaced the drop crown with a flat crown and it still does it. I'm running a CK inset headset. When I say it comes loose, its starts to clunk like a loose headset. There isn't any play it just makes a little noise. I checked the star nut and it hasn't moved. The bolts are all still tight. If I loosen everything up and retighten the noise goes away for a few days. Any ideas?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
its not the crown
it is th CK headset. every friend of my that used it, had the same problem. it make a clunk noise.
if you can live with the noise... than just keep using it.....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
don't have a CK inset headset, but its done it on both my p-bike ck headset and the v10 I have now. To be fair to my purchasing decisions, I haven't ever purchased a CK headset, they just came on the bikes.

edit: its because all of the older ones didn't use a compression ring to correctly lock everything into place because aheadset owned the patent. Its now fair game, and so they use it, and their headsets are now work as they should.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Chris King Headset: 145 dollars
Retrofit to make a poorly designed product work: 12 dollars

Paying extra to a company that knowingly sold you a product that didn't work and then offered an aftermarket "upgrade" to make it work for an additional 12 dollars: priceless.

Seriously, there is no way in hell that I would ever give king money on purpose for one of their products. The only thing that company has going for it is that they try to be extremely environmentally friendly, which I appreciate.

I'd rather buy something cheap that works from FSA, or if I want bling, from Cane Creek. Either way, something that works that costs less.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Chris King Headset: 145 dollars
Retrofit to make a poorly designed product work: 12 dollars

Paying extra to a company that knowingly sold you a product that didn't work and then offered an aftermarket "upgrade" to make it work for an additional 12 dollars: priceless.

Seriously, there is no way in hell that I would ever give king money on purpose for one of their products. The only thing that company has going for it is that they try to be extremely environmentally friendly, which I appreciate.

I'd rather buy something cheap that works from FSA, or if I want bling, from Cane Creek. Either way, something that works that costs less.
I've had ****ty luck with cheap FSA headsets, but I'm 100% with you on CC.

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
Try some anti seize between everything (bearings/cups, bearing/lower race, bearing/top race, top race/csu). Tighten the start nut and than tap your head tube, csu etc with a mallet before tightening the the top crown to make sure its all seated well. Hopefully that will do the trick and last longer for your. It's worked well for me.

AL

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I should apologize, since I kind of hijacked the thread to complain about my own sh1tty chris king problems, and its entirely possible that kntr has a newer headset that comes with the proper compression wedge that works, and has an entirely different problem with king headsets coming lose and knocking.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Just a bit of food for thought. Easton gave away with free shipping their rear bearing preload spacers after they admitted to them having issues. That's how you do ****. Canfields offered new hardware on the older one's when the shock hardware had issues. Rolling proper.

Sorry but **** CK. they knew their **** had issues and now are seeking more money to correct issues they created.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Been running a CK Steelset since 2009. The FSA deep cup headset before it split into two pieces on me. All of the alternatives besides King sucked for deep cup 1 1/8" headsets (alu cups, etc).

The headset clunked before and now that I installed the stupid, overly-complicated compression wedge, it still clunks. Just not as much. But the cups haven't cracked on me, my head tube isn't ovalized, and the whole bit was made in 'Merica, by 'Mercans. So whatever.

Oh yeah. Just remembered. I was running a King Inset 4 on another bike, it came with the compression wedge and all. I don't recall it clunking while I had it all together.

I've always used some sort of Azonic Headlock/Sette Cheaplock/King PreLoader.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been running a CK Steelset since 2009. The FSA deep cup headset before it split into two pieces on me. All of the alternatives besides King sucked for deep cup 1 1/8" headsets (alu cups, etc).

The headset clunked before and now that I installed the stupid, overly-complicated compression wedge, it still clunks. Just not as much. But the cups haven't cracked on me, my head tube isn't ovalized, and the whole bit was made in 'Merica, by 'Mercans. So whatever.

Oh yeah. Just remembered. I was running a King Inset 4 on another bike, it came with the compression wedge and all. I don't recall it clunking while I had it all together.

I've always used some sort of Azonic Headlock/Sette Cheaplock/King PreLoader.
It's likely that over time there's something in that headset that you've ovalized due to the lack of the compression ring.

And you know, it's not so much that CK is slimy and trying to make a buck for their flawed design and wouldn't pay for the patent like every other headset maker that has EVER EXISTED, even though that's pretty low by mtb standards, it's that every single time someone brought this up to them and tried to fix the problem, CK always told them it was installation error or that they needed a new "scuff-washer", until the patent expired. So you can rest assured that if there is anything wrong with their product, they will blame you for it.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
WTF. Im on RM all the time and Ive never heard this.
I donno, I guess its just one of those mechanical things that you have to look at the design of. Its why for the longest time, the syndicate had to use the headlock or whatever they called it that replaced the starnut and went all the way through the headtube and clamped it together from both ends.

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
The sentiment I'm gleaning from here is to give CK the finger and buy something else.

If I end up caring enough, I'll throw the compression wedge and upper race from an old cart. bearing hs onto my Steelset and see what happens. The CK wedge design seems overly complicated and not as robust as just a wedge jammed into an upper race.

Yeah, by now something in mine is prolly effed. Meh, whateva.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
And you know, it's not so much that CK is slimy and trying to make a buck for their flawed design and wouldn't pay for the patent like every other headset maker that has EVER EXISTED, even though that's pretty low by mtb standards, it's that every single time someone brought this up to them and tried to fix the problem, CK always told them it was installation error or that they needed a new "scuff-washer", until the patent expired. So you can rest assured that if there is anything wrong with their product, they will blame you for it.
ding ding ding, winner! I got told to buy that stupid preloader thing. still did it on the trail after a few rough rides. Gave the top nut a little twist to see if it was loose and the stupid brass pin sheared off.

sweet design guys, you seemingly created a solution to a problem no one else has. bravo!

I've been running Candy Components stuff for a bit now, and its an external headset, but the height doesnt bother me and that thing has been on 4 different bikes no and been bullet proof.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Why bother getting anything besides a Cane Creek? They invented the threadless headset (they used to be called Diacomp) and have always made perfectly functioning products* at various prices and weights.

*They currently make OEM headsets for Santa Cruz that use plastic top caps and crown races that cause problems but these aren't available aftermarket.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
It's likely that over time there's something in that headset that you've ovalized due to the lack of the compression ring.

I was told to ream and face everything on a brand new high end bmx frame, did that, then they suggested that my stem needed faced, and that i could send it in for that... Went with some FSA headset and problem solved. The clunk drives me insane, especially with such "high end" parts. Developed the exact same problem as Kntr on my old demo, then got a $30 CC s-3 and it completely solved my problems on that bike.
I must have had amnesia about the first experience.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
sweet design guys, you seemingly created a solution to a problem no one else has. bravo!
I was under the impression that a former employee of CK left them however long ago started another headset company using said split ring and King either opted not to use or was not allowed to use the split ring? I may be way off but maybe not......anyone know for sure?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was under the impression that a former employee of CK left them however long ago started another headset company using said split ring and King either opted not to use or was not allowed to use the split ring? I may be way off but maybe not......anyone know for sure?
from what i was told CK didn't want to pay the licensing fees for the patent... so the "opted not to use it"

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So it there a way to fix it or should I just replace it?
i donno, buying that 12 dollar piece that ianjan recommended might do it. cheaper then buying a whole new headset since its already clunking.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Why bother getting anything besides a Cane Creek? They invented the threadless headset (they used to be called Diacomp) and have always made perfectly functioning products* at various prices and weights.

*They currently make OEM headsets for Santa Cruz that use plastic top caps and crown races that cause problems but these aren't available aftermarket.
actually, that ****ty plastic stuff comes OEM on some divinci (buddy just replaced a headset that ovalized after one ride (plastic cup/race on a DH bike?? surprise surprise it didn't work), and some mid/entry level trek hardtails ~$1000 mark. So cane creek isn't perfect. But its pretty darn good, and anything aftermarket doesn't have that bull**** going on.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
That's basically what I heard, that a CK employee left and started working for Diacomp where he implemented the split wedge and invented the threadless headset. CK was upset over the situation and didn't want to pay to use the design so they attempted to make threadless headsets work with just tight tolerances, washers, and an o-ring. The result only worked on steerer tubes that were just the right size. Once the patent expired in late 2011 I think they started using a split wedge and it's available as a retrofit to older headsets.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's basically what I heard, that a CK employee left and started working for Diacomp where he implemented the split wedge and invented the threadless headset. CK was upset over the situation and didn't want to pay to use the design so they attempted to make threadless headsets work with just tight tolerances, washers, and an o-ring. The result only worked on steerer tubes that were just the right size. Once the patent expired in late 2011 I think they started using a split wedge and it's available as a retrofit to older headsets.
Wasn't Diacomp a Taiwanese or Japanese company?

Last edited:

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
That's what I assumed at the time but they definitely became Cane Creek at which point they were located in North Carolina or something. So I guess they've always been an American company.
My first mountain bike came with a Dia-Compe headset, it said "Japan" on the cup.

Looks like a new bearing cap with the compression wedge assy will cost you $29, Kntr. Double that and you could get a new complete Cane Creek upper assembly. The head tube insertion appears to be shallow compared to the CK cups in case you care, though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I just called CK and they told me they never heard of this. They want me to send them a bunch of pics.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I sent them pics and they told me it was my 3mm carbon spacer.
They'll blame anything. Im a longtime CK headset defender, but bottom line is that the design is bad, and definitely not the fault of any spacers, or even if you 'left your headset loose'

Those things wear and click on the regular. Tell them fix it, or put CK in the rearview and get a proper Cane Creek.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
Does the steerer go all the way through the crown with a spacer on top? If not there's not way its clamping enough o stay tight. Also grease the wedge and tighten it properly (not just "nipped up"). King parts usually only come loose because someone didn't do it up tight enough! - have a good read of their tech info too- http://chrisking.com/tech/tech_headsets

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yes the steer comes through the crown.

I ordered a Cane Creek 40 series and Im going to throw the CK headset in the garbage.