Quantcast

Boxxer WC 2005 vs. Marzocchi 888 RC ?

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
A couple of weeks ago I bent my boxxer lowers in really not that of a bad crash.

Ordered a 888RC now, thicker lowers, so hopefully they won't bend as easy as the boxxers...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ohh man, I wish JM would respond to Boxxer threads still. That was the best sh*tstorm starter ever!

I like my 888rc a lot. Its plush and great for pinning it. Since riding it I'm faster & smoother, don't get hangovers and mack on more chicks.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Never ridden a 888RC but I have had such a great experince with my 05 Boxxer WC. I am light (158lbs) and love the light weight. For some reason the dampning is just spot on compare to my 04 Boxxer Team I rode last year. Handles the quick stuff, rocks and drops without any problems.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
Well , after replacing my 2003 Boxxer Team with a 200mm 888rc I can say that the move is not always an upgrade...

The 888 makes the bike feel heavy,harder to pedal,harder to lift and maneuver the front end of the bike.
The lowering crowns are a must and cost more unless you'ill buy the 06 model that comes equiped with them, and even after that the front feels higher than the Boxxer.
In my favorite DH run , at high speeds , the 888 feels only just a little better than the Boxxer and I can say today that this upgrade was not worth the $$$.

I sold My old bike last friday and the buyer was on a budget so I put the old Boxxer back on after running the 888 for the past 5 months - the bike immediately came to life again - sprinting and bunnyhopping with ease !
I feel like I must start working on my 888 to make it feel more like a Boxxer.
And yeah , the Boxxer lowers bend but it is hardly felt during riding.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
kidwoo said:
I only know of one person who's punched through the lowers on an 888. I know about 3 people this has happened to with boxxers and have heard of other people doing the same.

So, yes.......because it's black.
I don't like to rag on products, but I can tell you a story about my WC Boxxer.

Not only did I punch a hole in the lowers, but the seals leaked all of the time. Everytime I turned around, that fork was leaking oil--somewhere.

As for the 888 lowers, the first batch did develop pin holes; however, Marzocchi replaced the lowers for free, no questions asked. In addition, they have fixed the problem; I don't think any new 888s have had the same problem.

Since I had a bad expirence with my Boxxer, I have been a Marzocchi fan. Their forks truely seem to be trouble free.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
well the 888 is big tall and heavy. it seems more suited to freeride than dh. if you dont want to spend much money and make your fork feel nice then maybe ome mojo boxxcarts? or risse's KO cartridge.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
bballe336 said:
well the 888 is big tall and heavy. it seems more suited to freeride than dh.
Tall? With the stock crowns in 8", yup. But there are 7" 888's and you can get lowrider crowns for 8" ones

Heavy? No, not really. A tad under 8 pounds, same as a Dorado and a tad more than a Boxxer.

More suited to feeride? How so? Its tuneable for either application.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Zark said:
Tall? With the stock crowns in 8", yup. But there are 7" 888's and you can get lowrider crowns for 8" ones

Heavy? No, not really. A tad under 8 pounds, same as a Dorado and a tad more than a Boxxer.

More suited to feeride? How so? Its tuneable for either application.
well people buy the 8 inch fork because they want 8 inches. i have never seen anyone with a 170mm 888. and even with the low rider crowns they are still taller than say a boxxer. aren't they a tad over 8 pounds too? and since when is the dorado 8 pounds? its 6.8 just like the sherman. i feel it is more of a freeride fork because it is a big and tall and apparently not very tuneable if the people who actually race them and win do not use internals that are anything close to stock. anyways i guess it is just a difference of opinion. i do not like the fork and never will. if you think its a good fork then enjoy it all you want. everyone feels different about their gear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
and since when is the dorado 8 pounds? its 6.8 just like the sherman. i feel it is more of a freeride fork because it is a big and tall and apparently not very tuneable if the people who actually race them
The dorado is about 8.03lbs with it's stem, about 7.75lbs without, the 888 is actually a good bit lighter than the dorado without the integrated stem, but the 888s stem is a little heavier, making the total weight with stems for both forks almost exactly the same.

And as far as tunability, with the marzocchi you can tune the progressiveness, keep it linear, or make it more progressive allowing much softer initial travel with a good ramp-up to prevent bottoming. I guess if you have a boxxer you have already decided you don't "need" this adjustment, but I find it to be highly valuable in ALL KINDS of riding conditions, not just racing. Let me just continue, there is NO ADJUSTMENT on the boxxer that's going to make any real difference compared to the progression adjustment you can make on marzocchis, and then the marzocchi rebound tuning range is usually much larger, so they end up being infinitely more tunable. This is the one reason that marzocchi still stands pretty far above fox, manitou and RS. Manitou has tried to come up with some progressiveness adjustments (SPV) but it's been at the sacrifice of suspension performance, the new 06 stuff may adress this, but fox and rockshox are doing nothing to give riders progression adjustments. The reason this is critical is if 180lb rider A and 180lb rider B both sit on their bikes, they should have the same sag. If rider A is not too agressive and rider B tries to jump off of everything he can find, they are going to need different amounts of progression. With "other" forks, you have to buy stiffer springs if you are rider B, and you no longer have the right sag and your ride is harsher. With marzocchi, if you are rider B, you add a little oil, MAINTAIN the plush travel because you haven't changed your spring rate, and gain the progressiveness you need to keep from bottoming out. This is what still sets marzocchi apart from the rest.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
jm what happened?

i mean, you used to have a boxxer and did some work to the interiors of it, so where did the knowledge about it being an open bath fork with the same progressivity adjustability as any marzocchi go?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Colombian DHer said:
Whats best for DH RACING?
I have a BOXXER 2002 and i want to upgrade so which do you think is best?
resists more impacts?

if the state of things in colombia is any similar to what it is here, then i would factor in the availability of spare parts and warranty, actually that could easily be the one thing that sets those two forks most apart.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
Just got my 888RC in today an put it in the DHR.
I could only do a test drive here in the city, but it feels so much better then my TF tuned 02 boxxer race.

Sep 10, 2001
bballe336 said:
the people who actually race them and win do not use internals that are anything close to stock.
You care to bet on that? Fabian just won the Euro championship on what is basically a stock fork. Cedric runs what is basically a stock fork. They are just tuned to their preferences. Something almost every rider does to every fork.

But I can tell you there is nothing inside of those forks that can not be obtained by anyone on this board... Unless, you see one of the guys on an 06 RC2X, then you will have to wait a few months.... :D

Brian

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
vitox said:
jm what happened?

i mean, you used to have a boxxer and did some work to the interiors of it, so where did the knowledge about it being an open bath fork with the same progressivity adjustability as any marzocchi go?
The boxxer may be an open bath fork, but it's not meant to work with oil height adjustments. The seals are not designed in a way that keeps excessive pressure from blowing them out. I've never claimed a boxxer had the same adjustability as a marzocchi, but just because a fork has a certain adjustment or two doesn't mean it is going to end up "more adjustable", the rebound on old boxxers does literally nothing, the compression on '00 marzocchis was fairly useless and only made them harsher, etc...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jm_ said:
there is NO ADJUSTMENT on the boxxer that's going to make any real difference compared to the progression adjustment you can make on marzocchis

this is the part i meant, and yes you can adjust the progressivity to your hearts content, granted, the seals never last as long as on a zocchi but my experience says they dont suffer such a degradation in life expectancy from using oil height as progression adjustment.

so if thats what you mean with "not meant to be used as progression adjust", that has changed with the increased seal life of the later batches of boxxers.

and hell if it thats a problem, just put a zocchi seal in there and be done with it. :thumb:

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
bballe336 said:
well people buy the 8 inch fork because they want 8 inches. i have never seen anyone with a 170mm 888. and even with the low rider crowns they are still taller than say a boxxer. aren't they a tad over 8 pounds too? and since when is the dorado 8 pounds? its 6.8 just like the sherman. i feel it is more of a freeride fork because it is a big and tall and apparently not very tuneable if the people who actually race them and win do not use internals that are anything close to stock. anyways i guess it is just a difference of opinion. i do not like the fork and never will. if you think its a good fork then enjoy it all you want. everyone feels different about their gear.

I have had two Dorados a 2003 and 2002 and they both weighed in at just under 8 lbs with the integrated stem etc. The Sherman is lighter than a DORADO.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
Today I got my integrated stem for the 888 put stuff together in it's final fase

Here are some differences between the 888 and my 03 boxxer race TFT

-888 is much plusher, even more then my boxxer was tuned
-888 is much stiffer (don't know about the 05 boxxers with the new lowers)
-you don't really feel a weight difference when you both hold them in your hand, the 888 will be a bit heavier now with the integrated stem, because it weighs quite alot for a stem
-888 is more progressive, maybe a bit too much, but I'll see how much travel I'll use on the German dh tracks
-888 looks killer :D

dothedew772

Chimp
Jul 26, 2005
Hydraulicman said:
Here are some differences between the 888 and my 03 boxxer race TFT

-888 is much plusher, even more then my boxxer was tuned

keep in mind thats comparing a brand new 05 fork to a used 03 fork

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Well as far as Boxxer progression goes, what about modding the springs? Have two springs in each leg: the upper spring be lighter than the the lower ones. As you go deeper into the travel, the fork would stiffen up a slight amount.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
bballe336 said:
and even with the low rider crowns they are still taller than say a boxxer. . .
WRONG... a 200mm 888 with low rider (-30mm) is excatly the same as a 2005 boxxer WC

bballe336 said:
and since when is the dorado 8 pounds? its 6.8 just like the sherman. .
WRONG AGAIN.. other people already mentioned that one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Mani_UT said:
WRONG... a 200mm 888 with low rider (-30mm) is excatly the same as a 2005 boxxer WC

WRONG AGAIN.. other people already mentioned that one.
Yep, there is enough wrong info in this thread to fill a barrel.
Just search for external oil bath and disposable lowers and you will have your answer.